Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Default Meat and potatoes Spidey

I've heard it posted on other sites that Marvel is taking a "meat and potatoes" approach to their books in 2018, similar to DC's Rebirth. I wonder what that will mean for Spidey? No more Pi? Back to being a photographer at the Bugle. Younger? No more Slott?

When I think of "meat and potatoes" Spidey, I think:

- Street-level Spidey.

- Peter has a regular job and is not running a billion-dollar tech company. Re-emphasis on him juggling his double-life.

- Peter's a competent and effective Superhero, not a man-child loser of one.

- The classic supporting cast is front and center. That would mean we see the Bugle cast and MJ being relevant again.

- The classic suit is back, which means bye-bye glowing chest emblem.

- The main book feels a little more like Amazing Spider-Man and a little less like Marvel Team-Up where other heroes or spider-people show up practically every issue.

- More prominence for classic villains.

- Black Cat is no longer a mustache-twirling Queenpin.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'm personally quite sceptical as to whether or not Marvel will be going down the ''meat and potatoes'' route in 2018 but I guess we have a year before that happens so wait-and-see I guess. As for what it would mean for Spidey?

Well, this is what I would personally like to see, whether it'll happen or not, well I doubt some of these things will happen but we'll see I guess LOL.

- Regular job, no longer running a billion-dollar tech company, wouldn't say struggling or going back to living with his Aunt May though.
    - I'd like to see the likes of Robbie and Betty and Glory back in the books.
    - MJ being in it again.
    - Competent and effective superhero as well would be nice LOL.

I'd add street-level stuff but I feel like that'll never happen again, those days seem to be gone for Spidey but I can live with that.

So, the RYV series might be getting axed before its time, then?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Hopefully not as I'm enjoying the series personally.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Hopefully not as I'm enjoying the series personally.
    Yeah, same here. Excusing old Ultimate Spider-Man trades, this's the only thing I'm collecting, so if it goes, I'm done with Marvel comics and not looking back.

I suppose if 616 Spider-Man remains single when the "meat and potatoes" relaunch gets underway and/or RYV is profitable enough, the more likely that it'll stay around. The series so far seems to be written for with the long game in mind, which seems like a good idea for storytelling, but I could see that backfiring if it gets canceled. It'd be kind of a Firefly-like situation; what we have is good, but a lot of loose ends and unanswered questions that kind of weaken the overall product.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

- Street-level Spidey.

- Peter has a regular job and is not running a billion-dollar tech company. Re-emphasis on him juggling his double-life.

- The classic supporting cast is front and center. That would mean we see the Bugle cast and MJ being relevant again.

- The main book feels a little more like Amazing Spider-Man and a little less like Marvel Team-Up where other heroes or spider-people show up practically every issue.

All of this. I'd love to see Peter go back to teaching again, although I'd be okay with him returning to the Bugle. The third point is by far the most important, though. The biggest loss of the Brand New Day era wasn't MJ (although I'm still bitter about it); it was Peter's reputation as a man and a Spider-Man.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Don't need to go back to the streets or bugle for a meat and potatoes spiderman story, maybe its about more ultimate spiderman type stories.

iMan 42s

Street level crime is just fine to me since plenty of interesting stories can be told with that kind of story telling. Peter being broke and working for the Bugle would be horrible since it is just so regressive for his character. While I don't agree with everything Slott's run has put out, I definitely am in agreement that since Peter is intelligent enough that he should have some means of supporting himself via his brain.

Maybe the international company thing wasn't the greatest idea but a science type business is perfectly acceptable for Peter. Making him a photographer again is just too regressive even in-universe. Peter is known to face some pretty serious threats and while he has gotten through some things in the past, Peter really should have the means to fund himself and Spider-man. Bosses can be away from the business for awhile which frees up time for Spider-man and whatever Peter does at the job.
    Make him a bit more fluid with when he has to be at the company or scale it back a little. It would be a shame to go back to the Spider-man tropes.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

The Spider-Man books are already hyping the end of Parker Industries, so he might be back to a job with a middle class lifestyle soon enough.

That would likely be the main feature of a rebirth style book. I could see it having some classic supporting characters.

I'm not sure classic villains would offer much of a contrast with the book right now. We've got a big arc with Doctor Octopus, Rhino, Lizard and others. The next arc is Norman Osborn. There are likely to be some stories with Shocker, Tinkererer and Vulture in time for Homecoming.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, the RYV series might be getting axed before its time, then?
    RYV is in its own world, so it shouldn't be affected.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yup, the only way RYV would be axed is if they merged the universes or something similar. Otherwise it'll be safe for the foreseeable future.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

- Street-level Spidey.

These two points are what I hope happen the most. I really don't like this over-the-top evil Black Cat, she's just really insufferable. And I think it would be nice to get some more Peter & MJ interaction, especially after how much I enjoyed the last arc where they reunited.

The rest of the points I could give or take, since for the most part I've been enjoying direction of the book recently.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Don't need to go back to the streets or bugle for a meat and potatoes spiderman story, maybe its about more ultimate spiderman type stories.
    "Ultimate Spider-Man-type stories" are "going back to the streets or Bugle" by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    RYV is in its own world, so it shouldn't be affected.
    Hope so, although I'm not sure being in a different world is automatic protection from cancelation due to a relaunch. If ASM decides to go back to the street-level Spider-Man, that's one less reason for RYV to exist, since it's pretty much the only Peter Parker comic that's using that setting currently.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 02-11-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    "Ultimate Spider-Man-type stories" are "going back to the streets or Bugle" by definition.

Hope so, although I'm not sure being in a different world is automatic protection from cancelation due to a relaunch. If ASM decides to go back to the street-level Spider-Man, that's one less reason for RYV to exist, since it's pretty much the only Peter Parker comic that's using that setting currently.
    The big thing about RYV is the family aspect so I don't see a relaunch getting it canceled unless they plan on bringing it over to the main universe.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    I've heard it posted on other sites that Marvel is taking a "meat and potatoes" approach to their books in 2018, similar to DC's Rebirth. I wonder what that will mean for Spidey? No more Pi? Back to being a photographer at the Bugle. Younger? No more Slott?
    I am curious to read more about this; do you have a link or can you direct me to where you saw this article? I personally think it would be a good approach for most of Marvel's big characters, especially Spidey who is overdue for a "back to basics" approach.