Default Spider-Man Fan's One to Billion wishlist to undo OMD (sharing a story)

I absolutely loathe ONE MORE DAY.

As a fan Spider-Man represents an extremely smart guy that is driven by guilt, love, responsibility, abandonment, and his mistakes. If Peter was making decisions with his family, that effected his family, he would also be pro-active in protecting them. One More Day takes a manic, emotional Peter having him make man child decisions counter his feelings of responsibility.

I stopped collecting Spider-Man comics at this point, opting to borrow them from the library, and only purchasing collections prior to One More Day.

As a comic geek I completely understand why Marvel implemented One More Day. Spider-Man’s brand had veered from an “up against the world,” individual to team player married to a supermodel removed from his super smart, but average guy appeal. Editors felt Spider-Man lacked the soap opera aspect made popular via Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and John Romita, that was a long running staple of the character.

Despite numerous story pitches Marvel decided to have Peter Parker reveal his identity publicly, suffer the fall out, then make a literal deal with devil in order to revive Aunt May and in the process – make Peter and MJ’s marriage null and void.

As an aging comic geek (36, married, father of two) – I felt the story was mishandled and ultimately missed opportunity for the company. Currently Marvel has been looking to diversify – bringing in legacy characters, characters of color, characters of non-straight gender identities, female character, to broaden their line. As a geek I admit missteps were taken, but the public is seeing superheroes differently – with “damsel in distress trope,” decreasing.

Marvel missed an opportunity to create another character with Mary Jane, originating from Peter’s love for her, his guilt, his responsibility, and his smarts. There are numerous stories that could have been told with an empowered Mary Jane Watson Parker, but instead we receive a Mary Jane Watson that’s always an arm’s length away from Peter, with their reconciliation teased.

As a realistic geek – I know Marvel will never reinstate their marriage. Marvel needs to keep their characters within their “characteristics.” In the grand scheme of life – this is a trivial matter. These characters are not people – the characters are property of a corporation.

But I still have a love of these characters and I hope their love in high regard. A few years ago I wrote my first and only fan fiction that reconciled the two over the course of several issues. Excited the ending felt rushed to me. With the release of Spider-Man Homecoming and recent events in my personal life, I revisited this story. While not a professional writer, nor in comic writer format, I hold this story dear to my heart, and wanted to share. I’ll put out the following chapters over the next few weeks.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

ISSUE ONE

TEXT - Bitten by a radio spider at a science experiment Peter Parker is now known to the world as THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

TEXT: PREVIOUSLY ON SPIDER-Man. Upon the recommendation of Tony Stark, AKA Iron Man, Peter Parker revealed his identity to the world. The act helped to usher in the Superhero Registration Act.

However, Peter’s decision came at great consequence. Aunt May was shot by an assassin, originally sent to harm Peter. With Aunt May in critical condition, Peter turned to Mephisto. Mephisto, at the cost of the marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, used his magical powers to revive Aunt May and make the forget world Spider-Man’s identity.

Months past

Otto Octavius took over Peter’s mind. With Otto controlling Peter, Peter earned his doctorate, founded Parker Industries, finally earned the respect of J. Jonah Jameson - only to lose said respect later.

Peter regained control of his body, once again becoming the Amazing Spider-Man.

He has since taken Parker Industries international.

END TEXT

We start on a television screen. Neil Degrasse Tyson is interviewing Doctor Stephen Strange.

Tyson
    Thank you for coming to speak with me, Dr. Strange.

Strange
    Thank you, for the invite, Neil. As I have been saying tonight, society has misconceptions
    about magic. Magic has mass, taking up space,

Tyson
    Much like gravity.

Strange
    Exactly. Tonight we learned magic can be manipulated, stored, broken. Much of these properties are shared with sciences who as a society we have come to perceive as TRUTH. And if we can change PERCEPTION about magics, we can change how it's handled.

TYSON
    You believe, it’s fair to say, that magic is all around us - dormant, just outside of our view of reality.

STRANGE
    Not only is it fair to say, for those travelling in these circles, like myself, we see magics inter-twined with day-to-day life. If individuals can change how they SEE life - they can see how magic affects their life. I hope we’ve done that here today.

TYSON
    You certainly have with me. Thanks for coming. Have a great day everyone.

INT - MJ’S CLUB
    With the television in the background, MJ preps her club for the party tonight.

TELEVISION Personality
    You’ve been watching MARVEL NEWs special PHYSICS & Magic. Thanks for tuning in.
    Up next we have an announcement coming from Parker Industries.

She puts a dishwasher flat of glasses on the bar, turning toward “Parker”

Television Personality
    Marvel News: News of the amazing. Broadcast on television, radio, and streaming on the internet. Now a word from our sponsors.

INT - VAN
    Aunt May, JJJ, SR, and a collection of seniors are in a group van.

Senior 1
    That’s foolish. Who would listen to the radio on the internet?

AUNT MAY
    HUSH! My nephew Peter has been doing great work with computers. I’m sure
    he listens to the computer radio. Oh drat, we’re going to miss his speech. He’s doing so well, John.

JJJ, SR
    It’ll be fine, May. I’m sure he’ll get it on tape. He’ll understand if you can’t listen to one opening half a world away to help out for charity.

AUNT MAY
    You’re right, it’s not the end of the world! Let’s get some library donations!

Ext Concert

A band performs on stage.

CAPTION: People always want what they cannot have.

CAPTION: POOR - Wealth

CAPTION: ILLNESS - HEALTH

CAPTION: Loneliness - Fame.

CAPTION: Every choice has its price and in the end...

One of the bandmates is killed by an “accident.” Ex - struck by lightning, etc., something otherworldly.

CAPTION: Every person has to pay.

ON DEAD PERSON: Stay on image.

CAPTION: Have no doubt - the house will collect.

We keep pulling back on the image till it's nothing more than an abstract color.

CAPTION. EVERY.

Then pull back further to reveal said color is a tile.

CAPTION: SINGLE

Then we pull back again to reveal the tiles are a beautiful mosaic on a wall, making an almost peaceful image. Tranquil.

CAPTION: Time

Before the mosaic stands a non threatening middle aged white man.
    CAPTION: And, oh my, business is booming.

We follow the man through his home. Within each room are multiple tile mosaics, each more beautiful and colorful than the one before.

CAPTION: To NOT offer someone what they need IN their time of need would be uncivilized.

Reflects in disgust

CAPTION: Unlike these...heathens, I am anything but uncivilized. These, who cannot be happy with what they have - their present.

C: Always wanting more.

C: Always begging.

C: Always leaving life up to fate.

SFX KNOCK KNOCK.

We see A Silhouetted behind the door.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

INT - BUGLE OFFICE - JAMESON’S OFFICE

ROBBIE ROBERTSON knocks at the door.

ROBBIE
    We still need to you to go over the proofs before upload.

JJJ sits opposite a wall of television monitors

JJJ
    “Upload,” BAH! I tell you Robbie, it's a cruel world where we toil over our work, becoming fossils in the process as thanks, and this yokel (Insert tv screen with TV Personality showing profile picture of Peter), slacker all his life. invents a whatswhosit and he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.

ROBBIE
    People don’t eat bread any more. Gluten.

JJJ
    People are out of their minds. Out of their minds and damned foolhardy to think Parker will keep his promises. The boy has no sense of responsibility.
    EXT - WIDE SHOT (Establishing shot).

PARKER INDUSTRIES centered in an industrial complex adjacent to an airport.

CAPTION. Parker Industries, New Zealand.

CAPTION: Makeup artist: Mr. Parker, where is your sense of responsibility?

INT - OFFICE/MAKESHIFT Makeup Room.

A MAKE UP ARTIST, SEVERAL OFFICE ASSISTANTS, and PETER PARKER are in the office. Peter is about to sit down in the makeup chair.

MU ARTIST
    For the last time, you cannot go on television with THAT shirt.

PETER
    It’s one of my nicer shirts.

MU ARTIST
    No.

PETER
    It’s made by a, uh, someone whose name I can’t pronounce. That’s good, right?

MU ARTIST
    No, my as the CEO of a multi-million international tech company you cannot wear clearance rack runt.

PETER
    Steve Jobs wore the same turtle neck and…

ASSISTANT
    Peter, your clothes say a lot about you. Sherri just wants you level up and dress for the task at hand.

MU ARTIST
    Correct. I’ve sent Scott for a change of clothes. He’ll be back in a few moments. Please get undressed, Mr. Parker.

PETER
    I see your point, but uh, shy. I’ll just, go to the bathroom.

MU ARTIST
    Mr. Parker, this is your office, we can leave.

PETER
    Uh, I don’t like to change my clothes where I take my calls.

Peter EXITS the room.

MU ARTIST
    *sigh* he’s responsible for all of our jobs, Sheri, he’s responsible for all our jobs.

INT MAWM”S SUBURBAN HOME, LiVING ROOM

AUNT MAY and the MIDDLE AGED WHITE MAN, sit on the couch. Coffee mugs accompanied with a handful of snacks are on the coffee table. We join them mid conversation.

AUNT MAY
    “Well all of that’s well and good, officer, but that still isn’t my dog that stole your pants. You want Margaret Partridge four houses down.” Poor man had the wrong address been talking to me for 15 minutes with a huge tear in his rear!!

BOTH SHE and MAWM burst into laughter.

MAWM
    May, you have been a delight! Put me down for $200 for the library fund!

AUNT MAY
    Thank you, that is very kind of you, Mr. Sullivan.

MAWM
    Happy to help.

AUNT MAY
    Oh, one more request, do you mind if I use your rest room?

MAWM
    Not at all. Its down the hall, on the left.

INT - PARKER INDUSTRIES - REST ROOM

PETER stands still dressed from the previous scene, staring at a mirror, working up the courage he denies he has.

CAPTION: Peter’s voice - You can do this. Just tell the press what you already know.

CAPTION: Peter’s Voice - You have taken down major super villains. This is just talking.

CAPTION: PETER’S VOICE - Simple.

CAPTION: PETER’S VOICE - The world isn’t ending.

CAPTION: PETER’S VOICE - Treat these situations like a scientist - there is no evidence of Parker Luck. Breath a sigh a relief. The world isn’t crashing down.

INT - MAWM’s bathroom.

AUNT MAY notices a speck by her ear. She wipes the speck away.

AUNT MAY
    Oh, my contact.

She goes to bend over and gets closer to the mosaic tile floor.

She finds her contact on a tile.

We see the tile as RED

SHE SQUINTS

The tile depixalates. Here we see images of Aunt May, Mephisto, Mary Jane, and Peter from ONE MORE DAY.

AUNT MAY (quietly)
    Oh, my.

Then she remembers the conversation from earlier fro Doctor Strange on the radio.

CAPTION DOCTOR STRANGE’s VOICE - ...magic can be stored, broken…

Aunt May takes out a swiss army knife.

INSERT - inscription on knife - “to my adventurer, love john”

Opens the blade.

AUNT MAY
    Oh, my.

INT - MARY JANE’S PLACE.

MARY JANE, alone in her nightclub, is done stocking the glasses. She turns to the television -

TELEVISION PERSONALITY
    We are just moments away from Parker Industries making their worldwide live press release.

INT - BATHROOM

Peter is now dressed his suit. He looks extremely classy, but personally feels a tad out of his league, approaching this press release is still new territory for him.

One of his assistants pokes his head in.

ASSISTANT
    Ready for you in 10 minutes, Mr. Parker.

PETER
    THanks.

EXT - DECK TO MAWM’s HOME

AUNT MAY closes the front, door, smiling. Then turns her back, her face instantly turns to terror. She sees her fellow volunteers in the distance. She waves and walks toward them.

She gets out her phone.

INT - BATHROOM.

PETER’S PHONE GOES OFF.

Peter hits the reject button.

EXT SIDE-WALK

AUNT MAY walks closer to her friends.

AUNT MAY
    That boy.

INT - BATHROOM

PETER’S PHONE RINGS AGAIN.

Reluctantly he answers.

PETER
    AUNT MAY, sorry, I can’t talk right..

EXT SIDEWALK

AUNT MAY
    I know you’re Spider-Man.

INT BATHROOM

PETER stares at his phone for a moment.

PETER
    Aunt, May, I can explain.

EXT - SIDEWALK

Aunt May continues to walk.

AUNT MAY
    No, Peter. I don’t want to hear your explanation. I need you to listen. I know you’re Spider-Man. I remember us as a family discussing you revealing your identity to the public. I remember getting shot.

INT - BATHROOM

PETER is ghostly white.

PETER
    Aunt May, you don’t… how could.

EXT - sidewalk
    She is mere feet away from John and the rest of her group.

AUNT MAY
    Peter, we made that decision as a family. We face those consequences as a family. I knew what that could mean for me. You had NO RIGHT to claim responsibility for my decision.

INT - MAWM’s BATHROOM

MAWM walks into the bathroom.

We pan down to his feet to notice the missing tile.

We pan back up to reveal MAWM is MEPHISTO

MEPHISTO turns to the door, and squints.

MEPHISTO BAFFS out, much like NIGHT CRAWLER

EXT - MAWM’s FRONT PORCH

MEPHISTO BAFFS onto the porch.

He sees AUNT MAY in the distance.

EXT - SIDEWALK

AUNT MAY is in front of her group

AUNT MAY
    I have always been proud of you. I have always loved you. I always will. But it’s time for you take responsibility for your life.

INT BATHROOM

AUNT MAY (over the phone)
    Goodbye, Peter.

PETER (sad, defeated)
    No.

EXT SIDEWALK

AUNT MAY
    Be the man I know you are.

MEPHISTO BAFFS behind her.
    MAY grabs JOHN.

AUNT MAY
    Thank you, John.

She kisses him.

And SMASHES THE TILE.

THE WORLD GOES WHITE.

DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD - TWO PAGES are PURE WHITE due to release of all the energy.

DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD - beginning center of the pages -the above being white- we have panels, echoing the tiles, from previous Spider-Man comics. Beginning with Civil War #2 where Spider-Man reveals his identity, OMD where MEPHISTO asks for their marriage, filling up the rest of the page are both public and nonpublic memories of the life of Peter Parker. Quiet moments between married Peter and MJ, panels of their life since OMD.

DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD - the characters. Here is where we introduce our characters for the rest of the limited series. Their order is important. We start with small panels then work up to larger panels, with the last panel being a single splash page.

GO THROUGH CHARACTERS, each character has a caption of their name and their current locations. Each character says a line to acknowledge Peter’s identity.

COLLECTION OF VILLAINS - note, need my notes for completion.

AUNT ANNA - QUEENS, NY “Peter”

KAINE PARKER - NY “Peter”

JJJ - NYC “THAT SONUVA”

ROBBIE ROBERTSON - NYC “Peter…”
    HARRY OSBORN - NYC, Visiting “Pete”
    NORMAN OSBORN - office building, NYC “HAHAHHA”
    DOCTOR STRANGE - Strange Mansion, NYC “Peter”

MARY JANE - NYC. “oh, no tiger”

INT - BATHROOM.

Peter lifts his hanging head with sudden realization.

PETER
    MARY JANE

END ISSUE ONE.