Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Does Lois love Clark or Superman

Seeing as everyone is so big on the relationship, I wondered what peoples opinion is on it. We all seen the debate who is Clark true personality.

Yes he was raised as Clark, but from many interpretations it seems he ends up choosing his life as being superman and is only putting an act as Clark. That's why I was digging new 52 supes.

Anyway with everyone being happy of the love life of Clark and Lois together again, I wonder would Lois get with Clark if it weren't for her attraction for superman?

Opinions

Astonishing Member

In my reading it was primarily Superman's more bold and daring personality that she was attracted to. Typically in stories where Clark loses his powers and tries living as Clark Kent full time those personality aspects come to the forefront and she becomes more attracted to Clark. So it's less about the name, clothes, or even powers but more about the so called "alpha" personality that he had.

I guess you could say she loves Superman but I see Superman as the real Clark Kent not the mild mannered reporter.
    Last edited by The World; 02-11-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Certainly, it's obvious Lois starts off being infatuated with Superman. Eventually though, I think that changes as she gets to know both Clark and Superman more.

Personally, I like to think that Lois is drawn to his intrinsic goodness and views and accepts both Clark Kent and Superman as different personality aspects of the same man. It's the man underneath and not just the personas that he dons that she's in love with.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 02-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Both in post crisis and on Earth 2 pre crisis Lois had become engaged with Clark Kent, not knowing he was Superman. So that's the definitive answer from where I sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Both in post crisis and on Earth 2 pre crisis Lois had become engaged with Clark Kent, not knowing he was Superman. So that's the definitive answer from where I sit.
    Sounds kind of unethical on Clark's part to get that far in a relationship without mentioning that he isn't human and all the implications that come with that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Sounds kind of unethical on Clark's part to get that far in a relationship without mentioning that he isn't human and all the implications that come with that.
    On Earth-2, he didn't know he wasn't human at the time. Geoff Johns and Palmiotti kinda fudged the Earth-2 continuity in Infinite Crisis and Convergence. He lost his powers and forgot he was Superman.

Post-Crisis, she knew his identity before they got engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    On Earth-2, he didn't know he wasn't human at the time. Geoff Johns and Palmiotti kinda fudged the Earth-2 continuity in Infinite Crisis and Convergence. He lost his powers and forgot he was Superman.

Ok, I guess context matters in this case

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

In the New 52, she's more attracted to Clark and views Superman as a friend. at least until Jon Carroll comes into the picture.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Astonishing Member

Well...it really depends on the portrayal of Clark Kent. Lois could never IMO fall in love with the 'mild-mannered reporter' Clark Kent. But in versions where Clark has been more assertive and more of a 'real' person than an 'act', she has fallen in love with Clark, without knowing he's Superman.

On E2, she fell in love with and married Clark who showed his more assertive side after being magically stripped of his Superman identity. During the Bronze Age, on E1, she developed an attraction towards the relatively more assertive TV journalist Clark. Post-COIE, she fell in love with the more assertive Clark as well. Even in the DCEU, where she was in on the secret from the start, she developed feelings for Clark Kent before he became 'Superman'.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It definitely depends what era you are reading/watching. It's clear in the early movies, she loved Superman and didn't care much for Clark till she thought he could be Superman. But after the crisis in the comics, she definitely fell in love more so or equally with Clark.

I personally like the idea of Lois falling in love with Clark more than Superman. And I don't say this because I think Lois is shallow for liking superman first, I just like the odd ball work relationship they have and seeing their chemistry go. Smallville did a great job of showing this and is why I bothered to like their relationship in the first place.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post

I think the post was referencing pre-Crisis Earth 2, specifically Action Comics #484.

And post-Crisis, the reveal of Clark as Superman didn't happen until after Lois had accepted the proposal. Not long after, but after.

Pre-crisis she loved Superman. That was the gag. She was totally into Superman, thought Clark was a huge dork. Although there were stories now and again where she'd be on the trail that they were the same man.

post-Crisis and beyond she always loved Clark first. She had a crush on Superman when he first showed up, and was a rival with Clark, more like the classic set up, but when it came to actual deep feelings, Kal pursued her more as Clark this time around and won her over, and she fell in love with him, not Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

I don't think that was portrayed well for the mediuma, especially tv. In the animation she loved Superman more and Clark more. It's a shame that they didn't go route of Lois loving Clark and Wonder woman loving superman and seeing which persona shone through

That really wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of the character though because truly there really is no one side of him to shine through more. He's not Kal-El without either Clark Kent or Superman. So I'd be immediately skeptical of any storyline meant to draw battle lines and see which one was better. Outside of purely comedic routes.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    I don't think that was portrayed well for the mediuma, especially tv. In the animation she loved Superman more and Clark more. It's a shame that they didn't go route of Lois loving Clark and Wonder woman loving superman and seeing which persona shone through
    yeah, I really disliked how in the 90s show, she only showed affection for superman and not Clark.