Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default I Love 'Em Even When They're Horrible: Actors You Love No What They Play

This is dedicated to those actors who can make you love them regardless of whether their character is loveable or despicable.

To start:
    Lee Marvin. I've never seen him play a role I didn't love, even when he was throwing boiling coffee in women's faces, leading The Dirty Dozen, or clearly drunk out of his mind.
    Alan Rickman. Never failed to completely charm in any film I've seen, from Hans Gruber to Colonel Brandon.

I know this is part of the internet goodwill hype (and I hope nothing but the best for him), but -- while there may be some bad Brendan Fraser movies, there are no bad Brendan Fraser performances.

*cries in Scrubs*
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-18-2021 at 04:37 PM.

I will put Jonny Depp in this. I know he has made a name for himself playing the over the top kind of odd ball thanks to Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka. but in all the Pirates movies and in Willy Wonka I think he did a pretty decent job. He nailed the characters in the way they were meant to be played. Same with Sweeny Todd which is a great musical.

I have to think of a couple others. There are other actors I know that I am spacing on that I have seen that I am not thinking of at the moment.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This is dedicated to those actors who can make you love them regardless of whether their character is loveable or despicable.

To start:
    Lee Marvin. I've never seen him play a role I didn't love, even when he was throwing boiling coffee in women's faces, leading The Dirty Dozen, or clearly drunk out of his mind.
    Alan Rickman. Never failed to completely charm in any film I've seen, from Hans Gruber to Colonel Brandon.
    Lee Marvin was so good in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, I got scared of him in real life. so that means he is such a good actor, I see many liking him in whatever roles he plays.

For me, It may be Tom Hanks and Audrey Hepburn.

BANNED

Another favourite may be William Holden. I cannot think of any actor who was so good at playing Cynical Characters as Holden did in Stalag 17, The Bridge on the River Kwai and Sunset Boulevard and I love cynical characters.

Retired

Cary Grant, Hugh Grant, Marcello Mastroianni, Philippe Noiret, Toshiro Mifune, Max von Sydow, Bruno Ganz, Dennis Hopper, Ed Asner.

Not well known to most of the public but he has been acting for years and every sci fi fan knows this man. I am talking about the great Marc Alaimo. We of course know and love him (At least I love him) as Gul Dukat but he had a screen presence in any episode he did on Star Trek, Whether is it as the Romulan Commander in The Neutral Zone Episode, or Gul Macet in The Wounded (The first time a Cardassian has ever been on Star Trek.) he made sure he made the most of it and was not just a two minute guest actor.

Fun fact. The Cardassians look the way they do with the neck ridges because the make up artist had to think up a design to cover and work with Alaimo's very long human neck.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Not well known to most of the public but he has been acting for years and every sci fi fan knows this man. I am talking about the great Marc Alaimo. We of course know and love him (At least I love him) as Gul Dukat but he had a screen presence in any episode he did on Star Trek, Whether is it as the Romulan Commander in The Neutral Zone Episode, or Gul Macet in The Wounded (The first time a Cardassian has ever been on Star Trek.) he made sure he made the most of it and was not just a two minute guest actor.

Fun fact. The Cardassians look the way they do with the neck ridges because the make up artist had to think up a design to cover and work with Alaimo's very long human neck.
    This site really needs a like button.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This site really needs a like button.
    This statement is enough for me

Was just talking about him in another DC thread. Charlie Hunnam. He was the main character in Sons of Anarchy (Jax Teller). Charlie has played in a ton of other movies as well. Most of the movies have not been that great but I just love him either way.

P.S. He should play Green Arrow on the big screen. He even said he would in a interview.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

I will agree whole-heartedly with this. Dukat was always one of my favorite characters on DS9, and he was always so good playing him- even when he was (briefly) a good guy.

Never knew that about the neck ridges. Wonder how many actors cursed him for having to sit through that makeup

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Was just talking about him in another DC thread. Charlie Hunnam. He was the main character in Sons of Anarchy (Jax Teller). Charlie has played in a ton of other movies as well. Most of the movies have not been that great but I just love him either way.

P.S. He should play Green Arrow on the big screen. He even said he would in a interview.
    Oh, I loved him in the Gentlemen. And yeah, I could totally see him playing Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I will agree whole-heartedly with this. Dukat was always one of my favorite characters on DS9, and he was always so good playing him- even when he was (briefly) a good guy.

Never knew that about the neck ridges. Wonder how many actors cursed him for having to sit through that makeup
    I have to look up the name of the make up artist. But they had a design for the Cardassians based on some note from the writers. Then they saw Marc and his long neck and they were like son of a bitch and had to draw something up in like a week. lol.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-18-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Ultimate Member

Denzel Washington. It's impossible to hate this guy even when he's a complete scumbag like in Training Day.
    Tom Hardy. There's something very funny about the guy even when he's playing a villain.

Going really old school here. I always loved Edward G. Robinson. I first saw him in Key Largo. he is the very person think of when they think of the 30's 40's gangster.

Danny Kaye is also a person I really enjoy in everything. Even in White Christmas when he is opposite Bing who I did not enjoy that much.