BANNED

Default Do Comic Films in the 2000s to 2010s deserve to be called a Golden Age Era?

As a person who has not only watched but studied many golden age Hollywood movies because we not only hear how good or important many of them are but we were required to look at them as a serious art piece of cinema making, Many very famous Golden Age movies that people would have heard off even if they had not seen it are films such as Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Psycho, All About Eve, Roman Holiday, To Kill a Mocking Bird, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, The Wizard of OZ, From Here to Eternity, Sunset Boulevard and Breakfast At Tiffany just to name few very famous Golden age movies that people know by name even if they have not seen it.

Obviously comic films were not really a thing then but I feel it is safe to say that there was an ushering of comic films in the 2000s after Batman and Robin, that not just hold up well to date but are very dear to many comic book fans.

Now I am not exactly directly comparing those comics films to golden age Hollywood, I mean they are still comic films and many of them still have their limits compared to the Casablancas and Rear Windows, However in their own separates judgement within its own ''thing'', I feel the genre did have its version of their Golden Age that are well deserving of celebration and love from comic fans.

I will try and List the many of the films of 2000s to 2010s both the good and bad and middle ground because like The Golden Age of Hollywood there were also bad and mediocre films. this is just a general movie territory.

X-Men (2000)
    Unbreakable (2000)
    Spiderman (2002)
    Blade II (2002)
    Road to Perdition (2002)
    X-MEN (2003)
    Hulk (2003)
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
    Spiderman (2004)
    Hell Boy (2004)
    Catwoman (2004)
    V for Vendetta (2005)
    Batman Begins (2005)
    Fantastic 4 (2005)
    Sin City (2005)
    Electra (2005)
    A History of Violence (2005)
    Constantine (2005)
    Superman Returns (2006)
    X-MEN 3 (2006)
    Spiderman 3 (2007)
    300 (2007)
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
    Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)
    The Dark Knight (2008)
    Wanted (2008)
    The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Iron Man (2008)
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
    Watchmen (2009)

Was it a Golden Age decade? It certainly earns a good discussion.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-18-2021 at 04:53 PM.

BANNED

Of course not. Fleischer was the Golden age and nothing since the 60s have even dared, let alone tried, to approach that.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Of course not. Fleischer was the Golden age and nothing since the 60s have even dared, let alone tried, to approach that.
    I wouldn't call just one cartoon for one character the golden age for an entire genre or industry.

As for the op - no, I wouldn't. Simply because golden, silver, and so forth ages aren't defined by a singular decade. Besides an arbitrary date what sets it apart from the current "age" other than just "it's the 2020s now y'all!"? You need events, high points, low points, times of change, periods of rest in between, something to point to in order to say "this is when the age began, and this is when it ended." The closest thing we've got to that maybe is Endgame as an endpoint, but while that's a highlight of the MCU it's far too soon to call it an end of an age when the next phase is starting up and there's still other superhero movies going on. As of right now the beginning of the age seems to be the movies of the late 90s/early 00s, X-Men, Blade, and Spider-Man in particular, and the end seems to be...?

Seeing how we haven't really even left the "age" that the 2000s spawned, I don't think we have enough historical perspective to judge whether we're in a "golden age," if that decade was some kind of high point, etc.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

"Persepolis" came out in 2007. for my money, it's one of the best comic book to film adaptations out there. I think it should have won Best Animated Film for that year... but "Ratatouille" was guaranteed to win. (at least it was a great film too)

I think it depends on your point of view. To me, everything before the Reeve movies is the Golden Age.

Depending on the definition, the first Reeve movie could be called Golden. At the time, I would have called it the rise of the modern era of superhero movies. Now, I'd call it more the Silver Age of superhero movies.

I guess that would make 2000-2010 the Bronze Age and the beginning of shared universes the modern era.

But, again, POV. If you were growing up in that 2000-2010 era, to you, that may well be the Golden Age.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think it depends on your point of view. To me, everything before the Reeve movies is the Golden Age.

Depending on the definition, the first Reeve movie could be called Golden. At the time, I would have called it the rise of the modern era of superhero movies. Now, I'd call it more the Silver Age of superhero movies.

I guess that would make 2000-2010 the Bronze Age and the beginning of shared universes the modern era.

But, again, POV. If you were growing up in that 2000-2010 era, to you, that may well be the Golden Age.
    Kind of hard to call it the rise of the era - wasn't it the only superhero film/s during the 70s/80s before 89's Batman? It was just Superman, and maybe TV's Wonder Woman or Hulk.

Mighty Member

Nah, much like comics, the golden age is stuff from the 30's-60's
    Silver age is 70's-early 90's.

Bronze age is mid 90's-2007.

The modern age begun with The Dark knight And Iron Man.
    Even that age appears to have ended as we have reached the digital age

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seeing how we haven't really even left the "age" that the 2000s spawned, I don't think we have enough historical perspective to judge whether we're in a "golden age," if that decade was some kind of high point, etc.
    This is fair, but there is a bit of a cutoff thanks to Covid and other stuff.

Avengers: Endgame concluded the Avengers saga.
    The lead of one of the most successful MCU films passed away.
    Covid meant that we went a long amount of time without a high number of major superhero movies coming out.
    The films that came out (Snyder Cut, Wonder Woman 1984) were part of the earlier era.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Covid meant that we went a long amount of time without a high number of major superhero movies coming out.
    The films that came out (Snyder Cut, Wonder Woman 1984) were part of the earlier era.
    Guess I don't see how the pandemic created a new "age" in and of itself (seems like it's the direction of the content that marks possible new ages). I would contend that when the MCU ends, that would be a possible marker for the end of the 2000s+ age; it's been the dominate franchise in the genre, changed the expectations and model for how these movies are made, etc.

Course, there is a great deal of subjectivity to these things.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Really? Is 1 year really that long of a time? I mean, we went years between superhero films during the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Even in the 00s we had the occasional year without one I think.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Really? Is 1 year really that long of a time? I mean, we went years between superhero films during the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Even in the 00s we had the occasional year without one I think.

We cannot judge it by one year. it is a collection of years or decades or what you feel is a certain period in time.