Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default how are batman and detective comics currently?

I Read the rebirth versions for awhile but dropped off batman soon after the first story arc and skipped the night of monsters crossover i did try "I AM Suicide" but because of my horribly managing skills on my tfaw.com pull list i got issues out of order so I'm pretty lost

same thing with detective i kinda dropped out in the middle of the Victim Syndicate story.....looking back that was a terrible idea

i enjoyed both books(batman less so...i dunno not much seemed to go down)however my pull list is a nightmare to control and the rebirth books got the boot(Wonder Woman was a easy drop because the back and forth stories were confusing and hard to get a hang of)

now though with the incoming release of the batwoman solo series(which was a book i was attached to greatly in the new 52)I'm inclined to try and jump back into Tom King's Batman And Tynion's Tec

double shipping's the only issue and quality of course

I'm not really a fan of Tom King Using Bane In Back To Back Stories especially since the first story arc was basically "Original Characters Do Not Steal" Trying to play Bright Optimistic Superheroes in gotham city Heroes that eventually met their cruel fates in some way

so let that be known

just wondering if The I Am Suicide Story And Victim Syndicate Stories were good enough to stay on the books?
    Last edited by Chrysalis_Changling; 02-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    I Read the rebirth versions for awhile but dropped off batman soon after the first story arc and skipped the night of monsters crossover i did try "I AM Suicide" but because of my horribly managing skills on my tfaw.com pull list i got issues out of order so I'm pretty lost

same thing with detective i kinda dropped out in the middle of the Victim Syndicate story.....looking back that was a terrible idea

i enjoyed both books(batman less so...i dunno not much seemed to go down)however my pull list is a nightmare to control and the rebirth books got the boot(Wonder Woman was a easy drop because the back and forth stories were confusing and hard to get a hang of)

now though with the incoming release of the batwoman solo series(which was a book i was attached to greatly in the new 52)I'm inclined to try and jump back into Tom King's Batman And Tynion's Tec

double shipping's the only issue and quality of course

I'm not really a fan of Tom King Using Bane In Back To Back Stories especially since the first story arc was basically "Original Characters Do Not Steal" Trying to play Bright Optimistic Superheroes in gotham city Heroes that eventually met their cruel fates in some way

so let that be known

just wondering if The I Am Suicide Story And Victim Syndicate Stories were good enough to stay on the books?
    Yes. King's Batman has gotten WAY better, and Tec is solid. Also, why did you drop WW!? It's like top 2 rebirth titles right now in a lot of people's opinions?
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    Yes. King's Batman has gotten WAY better, and Tec is solid.
    I seconded this.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    Yes. King's Batman has gotten WAY better, and Tec is solid. Also, why did you drop WW!? It's like top 2 rebirth titles right now in a lot of people's opinions?
    i dunno it's just....The Truth Came off as kinda meh

Year One Was Better but at the same time i just didn't feel like the one issue this and one issue that format caught my eye much

especially when it came to waiting even longer for what i assumed to be the superior story

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

'Tec started out extremely strong and was my favorite DC book, but Monster Men was bad and interrupted a smooth run. It's still my favorite DC book, but I hate that Tim isn't on the team anymore.

Batman started out awful, IMO. I didn't care for the Gotham story, but the last several issues have been really, really good.

So right now, I would say both books are very good and you can't go wrong with either one.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Good. But Detective Comics is in my opinion better than batman.
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-12-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Best they've been in a while. They are both starting new stories, so you should be able to jump on with those.
    "The phoney (sic) Electoral College made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one (sic)! He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revoluion in this country!" -Donald J. Trump on the 2012 presidential election

Extraordinary Member

Tec is OK, even if I think that they are overdoing it a little bit with skills and showings of the characters and with the tech stuff, and I'm not really fond of the cast changes.

But Batman is sofar not my cup of tea.

Currently I prefer RHatO and Nightwing (Ok the last Nightwing Arc was also not that great).
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-12-2017 at 03:32 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i dunno it's just....The Truth Came off as kinda meh

Year One Was Better but at the same time i just didn't feel like the one issue this and one issue that format caught my eye much

especially when it came to waiting even longer for what i assumed to be the superior story
    Tec is one of the best books on the stands today - definitely recommend, especially if you are a big Batwoman fan. Batman has improved quite a bit, but I am still not pulling it, because I'm not super interested in another Death of Batman story.

Wondygal is great - I can see how the alternating storylines might be confusing - but I would definitely recommend picking them up in trade, where it's not confusing! The Truth wasn't as good as Year One, agreed, but it did have some really great stuff, and Liam Sharpe is a very good artist.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Batman is such a polarizing title right now. You either love it or hate it - there isn't a lot or in between. I personally think it's dog shit and finally dropped it.

Detective is above average at best with a few moments of brilliance thrown in although those moments generally deal with Tim (who will be back). I've been a little turned off with the bat titles since 52. I really dug Cass as Batgirl and think this orphan identity is stupid. I do however like the inclusion of Mudface on the team - a nice curveball certainly although I think you can see his eventual betrayal coming from a mile away.

I think most of us can agree that Monster Men was utter garbage and D.C. Should refund its readers for those turd quality books.

Batman's been good and has continually improved. Tec' is meh, one of those books that's not for me.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Batman's been good and has continually improved. Tec' is meh, one of those books that's not for me.
    qft.

Though I'd add "really" in front of "good".
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

'Tec's premise was something I thought I would enjoy but, for me, the execution left a lot to be desired. Tynion is very good with character work and his writing has improved over the years but he still has trouble with plots and bringing them to satisfactory conclusions. At least that's my opinion any way.

Batman has been very divisive among fans but I've been enjoying it since Rebirth started. I do concur with others that have said that its gotten better with each issue though. I've found the story thus far to be very engaging and I'm very interested to see where King is going with it. I will however say its not for everyone.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Not a fan of "I Am Gotham" (TPB) nor "Nights of the Monster Men" (ebay sale). Only have a vague idea of events on "I Am Suicide". Got into Rebirth late so I'm still trade-waiting that one (Hoopla, really). However, I thoroughly enjoyed the opening salvo to the new story arc "I Am Bane, Part One" in Batman #16.

I liked the first arc of 'Tec "Rise of the Batmen" but again, trade-waiting on "The Victim Syndicate".

As for TFAW, maybe you can preorder the issues not on the sub? Strictly speaking, I actually don't have any subscriptions. I just have a watch list of titles and read the solicitations on Previews Catalog. If the issue looks interesting (or at least it doesn't seem bad for series I'm already following), it gets added to preorder.

With TFAW accepting preorders until well after the initial order/subscription window (typically two months ahead on the 18th), there's even greater benefit to doing preorders instead of subs since you might actually have a chance to read the latest issue (or maybe just be a month behind instead of two) before placing your order. Makes culling titles so much easier and relatively immediate. As far as I'm aware, discounts are the same on TFAW whether your preorder or subscribe.

I think the subscription service is good if you don't change titles a lot but it seems like you tinker with your list quite often. I think it's probably better for you to preorder rather than subscribe in order to have greater control of what issues you're getting. That way, you're not suddenly thrust into the middle of a story arc when starting a new series.

*sigh* All these concerns with print subscriptions and preorders really make me appreciate how much more efficient digital is as a delivery method for periodicals. Issue coming out tomorrow? Easy, you can subscribe today so it's already downloaded to your device by tomorrow or you could just buy it tomorrow (no chance of copies getting sold out) and finish downloading within seconds. Didn't like what you read? Cancelling the digital subscription takes effect immediately. Meanwhile, you might still receive two more issues with print sub given the ordering delay.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Batman is good and just got real good. Tec I dropped.