Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gotham isn't really a typical Superhero show though, and even back when it started I recall Gordon and co. were often dealing with "weird crime-of-the-week," and I think as long as they come back at some point it doesn't really matter if their story is one-in-done, especially if they make some kind of impact or serve the episode well.
    It's not exactly a superhero show, true, but I think slowly building Penguin, Riddler, the crime bosses, and Fish alongside other smaller villains entering and exiting makes for better viewing. Galavan, Mad Hatter, are developed in blocks and actually affect the status quo. By contrast, I accidentally skipped an episode of Supergirl early in the first season (the one with Livewire) and didn't even notice. Not until she came back for a split second later in the following season, only to fulfill the same exact function, be bad and get beaten up. If there's a way to do a villain justice with a "done-in-one" format, it's not the Berlanti way.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'd be into an animated show as well, but I really want WB to step up the quality of their animation. Each movie should seem special, but it seems they haven't advanced that much since JLU, which is a shame. Japan cranks out tons of beautiful garbage non-stop. It's a shame DC animation seems so behind.
    While I wouldn't say the animation in a DC animated movie is on part with what you would expect from an anime movie from Japan, they're at least far beyond some of their competition in terms of what they can do with animation and in terms of the quality, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    It's not exactly a superhero show, true, but I think slowly building Penguin, Riddler, the crime bosses, and Fish alongside other smaller villains entering and exiting makes for better viewing. Galavan, Mad Hatter, are developed in blocks and actually affect the status quo. By contrast, I accidentally skipped an episode of Supergirl early in the first season (the one with Livewire) and didn't even notice. Not until she came back for a split second later in the following season, only to fulfill the same exact function, be bad and get beaten up. If there's a way to do a villain justice with a "done-in-one" format, it's not the Berlanti way.
    Personally I thought Livewire's debut was pretty strong, which is why I was more then happy to see them bring her back later in the season. So I would say she was definitely done justice in that one appearance, which benefitted her future roles in the series .

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Then why do I watch them and enjoy the hell out of them?
    Can't help what you enjoy. I've enjoyed some crap television too, from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The Flash TV show is as comic book-y as it gets.....and yet you people hate it. Well what the hell do you want?
    Some quality acting and writing. CW is very "Tell don't show" versus Show Don't Tell. Every character has to explain why they feel a certain way lol. I stopped watching Flash this season, so no idea if it got better.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Can't help what you enjoy. I've enjoyed some crap television too, from time to time.
    And quality is in the eye of the beholder .

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    A well-made DC Netflix series would pretty much be my dream come true. The format and quality just makes so much sense.

The arc of 12 episodes is pretty perfect length. There's no filler, no time for villain-of-the-week, each episode has to be satisfying in itself while still moving towards a meaningful climax. There must be a reason the high quality dramas of the modern era use this format.

The quality of a netflix show is superior on so many levels. The dialogue is much more subtle and intelligent, the writing is more thoughtful, and the cinematography is more artistic and picturesque. It's movie quality in a TV show.

It sucks Green Arrow was used up on the CW because he would have been perfect for it. But I'd like any DC property to be on a quality Netflix production.
    I don't know about the whole no filler thing. Marvel's mini-series like DD, JJ, and Luke Cage suffer from that too. I think it's because they have 8 hour stories and try to stretch it to 12.

Too true. I watch Gotham for how "bad it's so good" it is. I also watch Pretty Little Liars and get to laugh about it with my friends.

BANNED

Exactly. I know at least one person who loves Flash but couldn't stand the darkness of Jessica Jones.

Sometimes people just want to keep things light and fun.

BANNED

No the **** it isn't. If that were the case there'd be an equal amount who love liefeld. That's just an accuse for $hit work.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I don't know about the whole no filler thing. Marvel's mini-series like DD, JJ, and Luke Cage suffer from that too. I think it's because they have 8 hour stories and try to stretch it to 12.
    True, but I think it's a different kind of filler. It's not predictable story arcs that feed off of what you mentioned previously:

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Some quality acting and writing. CW is very "Tell don't show" versus Show Don't Tell. Every character has to explain why they feel a certain way lol. I stopped watching Flash this season, so no idea if it got better.
    This is exactly the main problem. They spoonfeed their emotions with constant monologues that don't feel like organic conversations in the slightest.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Exactly. I know at least one person who loves Flash but couldn't stand the darkness of Jessica Jones.

Sometimes people just want to keep things light and fun.
    This is confusing the issue.

You can do "light and fun" without being intellectually vacuous and emotionally immature.

Not me. If I think something is crap I stop watching it. To many other good shows on to waste my time on crap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    This is confusing the issue.

You can do "light and fun" without being intellectually vacuous and emotionally immature.
    Except for a lot of people "intellectually vacuous and emotionally immature" is much easier to digest and enjoy after a long day at work.

That's why I call it "light" - it doesn't take effort to enjoy or leave one drained after watching.

The problem, such that it is, is not that the show isn't deep, the problem is that the CW is the network it ended up running on, and their audience does not want something deep.

So yes, a "Flash" show on Netflix would probably be very different from a "Flash" show on the CW.
    Last edited by GlennSimpson; 02-15-2017 at 06:17 AM.

BANNED

The problems I have or many with all the CW shows,but I watch them,because I want superhero shows on TV,actual heroes,not just demon and dark comic related shows.

The problems are many
    The characters don't look like they could actually be superheroes in real life,they look like they just got off a off Broadway musical.
    The writing is so bad,caring is the most powerful superpower on this shows,cause asking as they care,they win lol.not to mention they will show them bulldozing through the henchmen,then when it comes to the real evil prick that deserves to die,they want to play up the "u will go dark and not be able to turn back" thing on all the shows.why don't they let the hero bulldoze the big evil prick,and not kill all the henchmen,who are probably just there to get a paycheck.
    Feelings,feelings,and more feelings,god we get it,you can cut it back by half and it would still be all feelings.

With those.problems,I will.still watch all 4 CW shows every week,yes out of duty,but also cause I want live action super heroes on my TV,and this is the way to get them,and no you can't get them on anything else,cause other channels or Netflix goes to dark and gritty to be a actual super hero show,they are shows that have the supposed hero not being that bright beacon in the dark I want in a hero.there is a reason I like superman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    The problems I have or many with all the CW shows,but I watch them,because I want superhero shows on TV,actual heroes,not just demon and dark comic related shows.

The problems are many
    The characters don't look like they could actually be superheroes in real life,they look like they just got off a off Broadway musical.
    The writing is so bad,caring is the most powerful superpower on this shows,cause asking as they care,they win lol.not to mention they will show them bulldozing through the henchmen,then when it comes to the real evil prick that deserves to die,they want to play up the "u will go dark and not be able to turn back" thing on all the shows.why don't they let the hero bulldoze the big evil prick,and not kill all the henchmen,who are probably just there to get a paycheck.
    Feelings,feelings,and more feelings,god we get it,you can cut it back by half and it would still be all feelings.

With those.problems,I will.still watch all 4 CW shows every week,yes out of duty,but also cause I want live action super heroes on my TV,and this is the way to get them,and no you can't get them on anything else,cause other channels or Netflix goes to dark and gritty to be a actual super hero show,they are shows that have the supposed hero not being that bright beacon in the dark I want in a hero.there is a reason I like superman
    Dude are you ****ing serious? What are Daredevil and Jessica FREAKIN Jones supposed to do, hold hands and skip down a street of daisies?