Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm in my early 20s and when I was kid I was left at home pretty regularly. The neighbors would always look out for me, and make sure my mom heard about it if I was actin up. My mom would also regularly call the house phone to make sure I wasn't outside when I wasn't supposed to be.

It's all pretty common in the US for a number of factors, and I agree with Knight when he says that it's part of the give and take that comes with being Superman's kid. I like that there's no obvious source of angst from it. You can work that in for a story or two, but it's default setting is Jon understanding that his parents have jobs that not only put food on the table but keep the world turning.

I like the feeling that this gives off. It's subtle too.

BANNED

the Rebirth Superman issue 17 I wouldnt mind buying whenever I get the chance to go to to the comic book shop next month to catch up on some stuff.

Issue 17 to me sounds like another fun issue like issue 10. the walk/trip to the backdoor swamp area reminds me of all of those silly tv shows/tv movies for for kids where a spooky swamp is involved to bring back a swamp boogeyman etc

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm in my early 20s and when I was kid I was left at home pretty regularly. The neighbors would always look out for me, and make sure my mom heard about it if I was actin up. My mom would also regularly call the house phone to make sure I wasn't outside when I wasn't supposed to be.

It's all pretty common in the US for a number of factors, and I agree with Knight when he says that it's part of the give and take that comes with being Superman's kid. I like that there's no obvious source of angst from it. You can work that in for a story or two, but it's default setting is Jon understanding that his parents have jobs that not only put food on the table but keep the world turning.

Right. Just can't help make me feel for the little tyke.

I think it's also cool that he's not just a boring rule abider. Pretty sure it's already past his bedtime. My parents used check to up on me at night to see if I was sleeping so I'd pretend I was whenever I hear their footsteps. The PlayStation was in my bedroom and I'd have disc cases and other knick-knacks to artfully cover the power/activity light so they didn't realize I was still playing.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Right. Just can't help make me feel for the little tyke.

I think it's also cool that he's not just a boring rule abider. Pretty sure it's already past his bedtime. My parents used check to up on me at night to see if I was sleeping so I'd pretend I was whenever I hear their footsteps. The PlayStation was in my bedroom and I'd have disc cases and other knick-knacks to artfully cover the power/activity light so they didn't realize I was still playing.
    Exactly!

This issue makes me more confident that even when the Kents move back to the big city, Jon will still sneak off to Hamilton to see Kathy and have adventures. I really hope Tomasi and Gleason really milk the sad "sorry Kathy, we gotta move" moment we're sure to have. It'll be a really relatable moment for all parties involved.

Well, this was a double post, but I guess I'll turn it into something useful.

It's interesting, but hearing about the idea of this issue and seeing part of it really makes me want to have a Jon and Kathy Multiverse adventure. Like, has anyone here seen the anime Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi? (the actual show is somehow stranger than it's title, trust me. Here's a trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXof5GTcF4)

The basic idea is that two kids living in the Abeno shopping district get pulled through parallel reality versions of said shopping district. They meet strange versions of their friends and family, and they have to sort of complete whatever adventure the rules of the world dictate.

So I was think, Jon was born outside of Multiversual time and space, but post Rebirth he'll be integrated into the fabric of creation, right? Well what if the same is true across the Multiverse? What if, post-Reborn, there are dozens of Jons popping into being across the Multiverse? Martha (Lois' mom's name here) Kent as the female version of Jon, or Chris Kent's little brother on Earth-16, and so on.

Jon and Kathy sort of just bouncing around the Multiverse and awkwardly coming into per-adolescences. Each world could even have it's own Damian (the one we know is at home missing out lol) who begrudgingly helps them on their way each time.

Sort of let Tomasi have the fun and freedom he wasn't able to have in Multiplicity. And I'd like this to be in Super Sons with some reverberating ripples in Superman.

It's like a spiritual squeal to the 90's Superboy Hypertime.

Something people wouldn't mind seeing?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-14-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Jon is trusted to stay home alone, but I'm not Superman's kid. I don't have Superman and Lois Lane for parents, so I'm not trusted (or rather, my child self isn't) as much as he is in-universe.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Jon is trusted to stay home alone, but I'm not Superman's kid. I don't have Superman and Lois Lane for parents, so I'm not trusted (or rather, my child self isn't) as much as he is in-universe.
    Well I guess it's all relative, because I was more or less trusted to stay home alone (sometimes even over night) and so were a number of my friends. It doesn't really have much to do with him being Superman's kid. It's more just parenting styles, and making due with what you've got. Lots of homes implemented this.

See, this is why Conner needs to come back. And get Kara involved in the family. Her and Jon watching a scary movie while Conner is snoring on the couch with a bucket of fried chicken next to him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    See, this is why Conner needs to come back. And get Kara involved in the family. Her and Jon watching a scary movie while Conner is snoring on the couch with a bucket of fried chicken next to him.
    OMG, that would be super cute!
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja