Incredible Member

Default Can we 'Rebirth' Lucy Lane???

I was flipping through old Jimmy Olsen comics over the weekend. Read a few stories with stewardess Lucy Lane.

Then I came across the stories where she was an old woman and was rescued by Jimmy. I miss the Lucy / Jimmy pairing. It was fun. I wanna see them bring back this character Rebirthed into Jimmy's girlfriend again.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Her continuity is pretty sorry as it stands. Back in Morrison's Action it was pretty firmly established that she was Susie's stepmom, and married to her dad. However over in Superman at the beginning of the New 52, she seemed to have a thing for Clark (but Action showed her to still be with her husband 5 in the present day). Then apparently (so I hear, at least) Lucy was gay.

This character has like zero thought put into her, and it really sucks because, as Bertmaverick2 points out, she can be really fun. Someone just has to give enough of a damn about the supporting cast to at least set them up with some continuity or a base personality.

Same goes for Jim. He's criminally underused, and I've all but given up hope of DC ever returning him to his former iconography or adding to his character in a meaningful way.

I'm hoping once Reborn is over and our continuity is set, we'll be able to focus more on building up the Superman world.

I'd literally throw money at DC if they brought back and updated the old Jimmy Olsen comic. Unfortunately, New Super-Man and Superwoman aren't doing so hot, so maybe DC might replace them with Jimmy and Lois maxi books? Take some of the burden off Action and Superman when it comes to world building. You could even feature Super-Man and Superwoman in both books (not ideal, but it's something I suppose).

Books like this are where we'll probably find some meaningful and consistent Lucy stuff, I feel.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I was flipping through old Jimmy Olsen comics over the weekend. Read a few stories with stewardess Lucy Lane.

Then I came across the stories where she was an old woman and was rescued by Jimmy. I miss the Lucy / Jimmy pairing. It was fun. I wanna see them bring back this character Rebirthed into Jimmy's girlfriend again.
    In the New 52 they brought her in for 5 seconds as a love interest for Clark Kent...Then later she appeared in a Lois Lane one shot where it was strongly implied she was gay...So baring they don't retcon that away, a Jimmy / Lana reunion isnt likely.

Either way, at least she wasn't a superpowerd psychopath murdering for her equally bat shit father like she was just before the New 52 reboot.

God, I hope if REBORN reverts the timeline back to preFlashpoint history that last incarnation is conviently erased.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    In the New 52 they brought her in for 5 seconds as a love interest for Clark Kent...Then later she appeared in a Lois Lane one shot where it was strongly implied she was gay...So baring they don't retcon that away, a Jimmy / Lana reunion isnt likely.
    She's also married and Susie's stepmom, right? Lois is her aunt, and as far as I know, Lois has no other brothers or sisters in the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    She's also married and Susie's stepmom, right? Lois is her aunt, and as far as I know, Lois has no other brothers or sisters in the New 52.
    They never followed the Suzie thing up or said for sure the relationship. You're probably right though. Just another example of DC not paying much attention to what Morrison layed out in his run.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

The problem is that while I could see her being "Rebirthed", I would imagine the idea of her being gay staying, just because of the current era we're in. Which would make any Jimmy romance impossible.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah, you're right. Susie is supposed to be her stepdaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The problem is that while I could see her being "Rebirthed", I would imagine the idea of her being gay staying, just because of the current era we're in. Which would make any Jimmy romance impossible.
    But not a Jimmy/Lucy bromance!!

Bwa to the Ha, motherf**ker!!

EDIT: Besides, if anyone's gay in Metropolis, it's Jimmy.

.....actually, I think he's probably bi.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But not a Jimmy/Lucy bromance!!

Bwa to the Ha, motherf**ker!!

EDIT: Besides, if anyone's gay in Metropolis, it's Jimmy.

.....actually, I think he's probably bi.
    They could both be BI. They date each other occasionally between relationships. Much like Jerry and Elaine. Just Bi.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Her continuity is pretty sorry as it stands. Back in Morrison's Action it was pretty firmly established that she was Susie's stepmom, and married to her dad. However over in Superman at the beginning of the New 52, she seemed to have a thing for Clark (but Action showed her to still be with her husband 5 in the present day). Then apparently (so I hear, at least) Lucy was gay.

This character has like zero thought put into her, and it really sucks because, as Bertmaverick2 points out, she can be really fun. Someone just has to give enough of a damn about the supporting cast to at least set them up with some continuity or a base personality.

Same goes for Jim. He's criminally underused, and I've all but given up hope of DC ever returning him to his former iconography or adding to his character in a meaningful way.

I'm hoping once Reborn is over and our continuity is set, we'll be able to focus more on building up the Superman world.
    part of the reason I'm gad they haven't canceled superwoman yet, is because they do have a place for steel and lana as well as the other supporting superman characters to appear without being forced into the main books. So I definitely feel like she could show up in that book eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    They could both be BI. They date each other occasionally between relationships. Much like Jerry and Elaine. Just Bi.
    Could be.

I just like the idea of a bi Jimmy mostly-joking with Lucy about being the guy who'll "turn her."

Couple of co-workers back in the day had that dynamic (but she was bi and he was gay) and it was funny as hell to watch them screw with each other.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Kill Lucy and bring back the REAL Lucy Lane... the pre-Flashpoint one.

Astonishing Member

Lucy is a great character. Or could be. I mean I generally dig the idea of the cast of Superman having their own you know, families, who can then develop into their own supporting casts, with interesting beats. Superman has his cousin Kara, his pals Lana and Pete, his Ma, his Pa, his Jors and Zors and Aluras and Laras. Lex has Lena. And Nastalthia. And Lori. Lois has Sam and Lucy. Jimmy ... actually Jimmy works really well as an only child type, but his connections can run deep elsewhere and should obviously include Chloe again.

That'd be my biggest thing with bringing Lucy back. Chloe worked so well as a romantic foil for Jimmy in Jimmy's Big Week that I'd hate to see Lucy brought in to fill that role and be defined by Jim. If she's got to be a supporting character, she should at least be a female character for Lois to talk to and interact with who helps Lois try to pass or at least throw a bone toward the old Bechdel Test. Anyway, I'm a little unrefreshed on my Superstuff, but I always believe in a holistic approach. I only really remember that she was Superwoman, and a recklessly dangerous soldier/puppet of her father during the New Krypton period, so I'd rather see that stuff disregarded. But generally being in the military, or having had been in the military, could be cool. Sort of like how they went 'blue collar electrical engineer' with Lana, I'd like to see something refreshing done with Lucy.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

I think bringing back Chloe Sullivan would be easier and more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    I think bringing back Chloe Sullivan would be easier and more interesting.
    Inclined to agree. Remember that Jimmy Olsen one-shot she was in before Flashpoint? Just do that version of the character.

Actually, we should also bring back that version of Jimmy. Don't like, kill off the current one to bring the "real" one back or anything, just have him start doing that kind of thing- saving the world by convincing aliens that it's too boring to party on, that kind of thing.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."