View Poll Results: Pick your favorite era!

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOLDEN AGE

5 16.67%
  • "IN-BETWEEN" YEARS

2 6.67%
  • SILVER AGE

4 13.33%
  • BRONZE AGE

10 33.33%
  • POST-CRISIS

15 50.00%
  • "IN-FLUX" YEARS

4 13.33%
  • NEW 52

5 16.67%
  • REBIRTH

7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Pick your favorite era!

GOLDEN AGE: 1938-1945

This is basically the WW2 era. We all know this version. His powers and costume evolve. Social crusader to fighting evil scientists to patriot.

"IN-BETWEEN YEARS": 1946-1956-8?

This is the transition period. Not a very stable continuity. Superboy was incorporated into continuity during this era. His powers went from being native to all Kryptonians to Earth based. Gains new powers like a limited form of heat vision with his X-ray vision. We learn more about Krypton during this period.

SILVER AGE: 1958-1970?

All the goofy stuff we're familiar with. Superbaby, Superboy, Krypto, Beppo, Fortress of Solitude, Legion of Super-Heroes, Kandor, Supergirl, multiple varieties or Kryptonite, unlimited power level.

BRONZE AGE: 1970s-early 1980s

Basically the SA with more stable continuity. His history is more clearly defined. Certain stories are made official cannon and a scaling back of some of the "sillier" elements of his past.

POST-CRISIS: 1986-2003?

Hard reboot getting rid of all the old elements and history. Scaling down of powers. More "realistic" version. Cold Krypton. Much slower power development. Corporate Lex. Parents still alive.

"IN-FLUX YEARS": 2004-2010?

Post-Birthright era. Unstable history. Neo-SA version trying to incorporate elements of different versions including elements from the movies and TV shows. John's Secret Origin. Pre-Flashpoint universe.

NEW 52: 2011-2016

This one is self explanatory. Post-Flashpoint universe. Hard reboot. Grant Morrison's Action run and new origin. Alien body armor. Neo-GA with powers that evolve. T-shirt and jeans jumping over buildings and flight later. Dated WW.

REBIRTH: 2016-?

Return of pre-Flashpoint version. Married to Lois. Has son who is new Superboy. Replaces New 52 Superman after he is killed. May or may not be "native" to the current universe or connected to the New 52 version. Has some connection to a "Mr. Oz".
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I couldn't choose just one, so I picked Bronze Age and Post Crisis. To me, if they would just marry the basic rather simplified lore of the Bronze Age and the new characters, settings and character development of the post Crisis era, you'd have a perfect Superman.

New 52 could have been just that...But they fumbled badly.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I couldn't choose just one, so I picked Bronze Age and Post Crisis. To me, if they would just marry the basic rather simplified lore of the Bronze Age and the new characters, settings and character development of the post Crisis era, you'd have a perfect Superman.

New 52 could have been just that...But they fumbled badly.
    This.

Bronze Age Superman was the best. But post-Crisis had the best supporting cast and setting. Had they combined them, post-Crisis would have been amazing. Sadly we didnt get that.

I think the Bronze Age was likely the best era, but I got a whole lot of love for the ball busting social crusader of the Golden Age so that gets my vote, even if that version of Clark ended up being pretty friendly with American authorities in the face of the axis threat.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Despite my current tastes, there is nothing like one's childhood. And my childhood was the post-Crisis. So there's always a magic there that there won't be anywhere else. As I said, even despite the fact that my tastes have changed and grown to where I'm at now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I actually just received ordered copies of Superman #301 and vol 2 #39 today. They are replacing my lost copies, but they both look like trash and I'm still a little pissed, haha.

There's almost a dead tie between Bronze Age and Post Crisis to me. As much fun as the 70s stuff is now, I can imagine they were just the coolest in young men's entertainment back then. Great art, consistent writing, zillions of amusing ideas, and a pretty ideal tone. Sometimes I read a back issue and go, "this is exactly what I want out of comics." I'm a little more limited by cost and availability here than anywhere else, which honestly might help as too much binging makes the comics seem a little monotonous.

But Post Crisis just had another dimension to it. The stories were coherent and continuous. The writing was largely as good as before, doors were being kicked down by younger artists, and everything played out over tons and tons of books all worth reading consecutively. Clark became a real character, who had real friends and decisions to make. Metropolis became diverse and complex. Superman had the gentle and tough balance that made him endearing in the first place, no matter how weird things got in the industry. There was a serious dip after OWAW, but I would still say there were more good comics in those 18 ish years than anywhere else.

I guess the one thing I've been developing lately is a certain fondness for the post war years, where Superman not only cracked wise but got himself into really silly situations. And there's Rebirth, which so far I quite enjoy, but it's still too early.

Bronze Age, but the current stuff is a reasonably close second, so I'm pretty happy.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

First era I got into was the new 52, and I've read almost every comic from that era, and I still wouldn't say that's my favorite.

I did a re-read over post crisis and the in flux years, well at least the runs I thought were interesting, and I liked some of it, but it was more just the setting and the characters that I liked. I liked a lot of Joe Kelly's run, but I found a lot of it to be dull and not utilized that well. Again, I only glanced over a few story arcs and one shots as I wasn't binging years and years of comics, so I may not have the best knowledge.

Rebirth era is nice, but it's sorta the same I feel about post crisis era. It depends on the creative team. Tomasi is deliving hands down my favorite Superman run I think meanwhile Jurgens is being..Jurgens. Trinity is very well done though as well as New-Superman. Superwoman is meh, but it has potential after this first arc and not needing to do as much set up in the future. So at the moment, just because it's still early on, I would say this is my favorite era because the stories all feel fresh as well as doing something interesting with the status quo. You may say, I can say that last sentence about the new 52, but honestly looking back, Grant Morrison and Greg Pak's runs with action comics are the only ones I can see myself looking back at in years time as well as Charles Soule's SMWW run.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Arrrgghh!!! I can't really choose, I like most of these eras for different reasons. But I'd pick Golden age and Silver age mostly because those old stories made me truly appreciate the character. Post Crisis Superman wasn't really for me.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-13-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    Bronze Age, but the current stuff is a reasonably close second, so I'm pretty happy.
    There is a certain Bronze Age vibe to the current stuff, isnt there? I know thats not what you said, but it got me thinking.

If we could get just a dash more pre-Crisis, a couple hits of social crusader, and smoothed out this convoluted mess that is Superdad I'd be changing my vote. Hell, Im even happy with the farm situation and find myself dreading the idea of the Kents moving back to Metropolis (he's fast! Let him commute dammit!). Didnt think I'd be saying this a year ago, but Tomasi is selling it like a boss.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I grew up with pre-Crisis DC, but post-Crisis was my favorite era, just the 'newness' of it, discovering the changes (and the cute little nods to now-invaliid pre-Crisis history, things like the wizard Shazam momentarily remembering the non-existent Marvel Family,then thinking to himself 'But no...that way lies madness'--I LOVED little stuff like that). Reading Superman was fun, Wonder Woman's updated history (beautifully rendered by George Perez), the sadness of the loss of Superboy, his funeral, the mystery of Sensor Girl...I could go on for pages.

I miss the original DCU, I miss the annual team ups across realities, I miss Superman Family and DC Comics Presents. VERY fond memories. Post Crisis was like having the house you grew up in completely remodeled and redecorated--but with mostly fun stuff and cool surprises behind every door.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Fantastic Member

Count me in for Bronze Age and Post-Crisis. I love the original Golden Age stuff, but as I grew up with Post-Crisis, the Bronze Age stories fit my idea of Superman much more closely. There are notable differences, but also a lot of similarities between the two eras.

Post-Crisis, from the Man of Steel through the Battle/Fall of Metropolis, was for the most part filled with really solid stuff. The world-building done in that era is something we may never see again.

BANNED

I can't really say there's even one era that I look fondly on.

It's always a case of a mostly bad or mediocre stories, and a few good ones.

Due to this poll's willingness to let me vote for multiple groups, I voted for the Bronze Age, the Golden Age and the New 52.

But honestly, I look with fondness on all these era's Superman stories, really. Even the pre-Flashpoint era.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There is a certain Bronze Age vibe to the current stuff, isnt there? I know thats not what you said, but it got me thinking.
    Yeah, there is. There's a sense of lighthearted fun and adventure to Tomasi's stuff that's very Bronze Age. It has a sense of wonder, which I think is essential. Plus, Superman enjoys being Superman. I'm loving it.

Jurgens, meanwhile, is giving us a pretty traditional take in Action. Wish he would take a note from the Bronze Age and condense the stories down, but I'm still enjoying it.

New52 Superman is by far my favorite.