Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

So with the Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man announcement, I'm thinking the following:

1. Marvel's just now realizing they may have alienated their loyal fanbase, and are clearly reacting towards DC Rebirth, hence all this recent emphasis on getting things "back to basics."

2. Marvel's just now realizing there's a demand for different creative voices on Spider-Man. But

3. Since Peter Parker will still be the CEO of Parker Industries, and Amazing Spider-Man will apparently be unchanged, this definitely seems like Marvel wants to have their cake and eat it, too moreso than with Renew Your Vows.

Even so, my curiosity is definitely piqued.

Marvel Announces New Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Comic
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

I wish I could get excited for this, but I fear it will just get caught up in crossovers/tie-ins like all the other Spider books seem to do, both with events and with each other.

Astonishing Member

Cool.
    Spectacular Spider-Man was a great series,so this is a new must buy comic book for sure.
    Will be cool to see a ongoing of Spider-Man with the direction of stories as explained in this article.
    This creative team is made of win,Kubert is a awesome artist,so of course i am looking forward to read this series.

so who is still alive from the 60s - 90s supporting cast?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I've never really been a fan of having two books with the same character. The original premise of Spectacular Spider-Man was that it was the more personal book of the two. But I never thought it lived up to its premise. By the end, it felt like it was essentially one continuing story where you had to read two books. At that point, I didn't understand it at all.

This book interests me, even if the announcement confused me. They aren't saying Amazing Spider-Man is changing its premise, but they're kind of hinting that it's possible to keep Amazing the way it is while still offering comfort food Spider-Man on top of it. I don't know if that really makes sense, but I do think there might be a better chance of keeping these books distinct than there has been in the past. If they can, I'll applaud it. It also gives someone besides Dan Slott a chance to write Peter Parker in a major book.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They did actually meet up in Guardians Team-Up #9.
    And most recently Guardians Of The Galaxy #14 (even though it was a flashback)

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    So with the Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man announcement, I'm thinking the following:

1. Marvel's just now realizing they may have alienated their loyal fanbase, and are clearly reacting towards DC Rebirth, hence all this recent emphasis on getting things "back to basics."

2. Marvel's just now realizing there's a demand for different creative voices on Spider-Man. But

3. Since Peter Parker will still be the CEO of Parker Industries, and Amazing Spider-Man will apparently be unchanged, this definitely seems like Marvel wants to have their cake and eat it, too moreso than with Renew Your Vows.

I don't know if it's a "just now" thing, as much as this being the most convenient time in a while to launch a new book.

Releasing it earlier would have meant competing with Clone Conspiracy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

4. Peter/Spider-Man have a major motion picture coming out and Marvel needs to capitalize off of that with a new title launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    This does kind of make Miles redundant, in that he was supposed to be the new street-level Spider-Man.
    I got the idea that the main point of the Miles comic wasn't to be the source for street-level Spider-Man, but the source for stories about Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Not that Bendis has been doing a good job of writing him that way anyway. Part of me feels that Miles' character development has been so bungled that he'd be better off getting killed in Secret Empire.
    Yeah, it is kind of interesting that the 616 Miles comics haven't been as well received as the Ultimate ones were, despite the fact that the same guy is writing them and it's essentially the same series being continued in the main Marvel world. Wonder if that's just because of the usual ups and downs of quality in any serialized material, Civil War II gumming things up, or if (possibly) the novelty of the Miles character is starting to wear off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't know if it's a "just now" thing, as much as this being the most convenient time in a while to launch a new book.

Releasing it earlier would have meant competing with Clone Conspiracy.
    Could very well be, however I have seen a lot of opinions that Slott's run has been in steady decline since after SSM, with post-Secret Wars being the lowest point so far (I've also seen primarily mixed reviews for Clone Conspiracy, usually leaning towards the negative). And there's certainly the fanbase factions that were never onboard with Slott's run in the first place. So, I guess there could be a very real possibility that the novelty of the current ASM setup has run its course and more readers are ready for things to get back to normal.

As far as if Marvel is just copying DC Rebirth, I'm not sure. Both companies do borrow from each other and I have seen a lot of parallels drawn (such as the coincidence that Convergence and Secret Wars came out so close together, or the theory that Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows was made to copy's DC's success with the new Superman and family comics). Since Rebirth was outselling Marvel, it could very well be that they decided to do something similar to compete.

Either way, I've gathered that a lot of readers are happy that things are getting back to normal, and as long that that doesn't adversely affect the comics I'm collecting, that's fine by me.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 02-14-2017 at 09:01 PM.

BANNED

More likely they're "clearly reacting" to the fact that Spider-Man: Homecoming is out this summer and want to a) have a new Spidey title to promote and b) have it be as close to "classic Spidey" as possible.

2. Marvel's just now realizing there's a demand for different creative voices on Spider-Man.
    Again, the timing of this title is about capitalizing on movie buzz. Of course they're going to want to have more Peter Parker Spider-Man on the stands prior to Homecoming's release. Also, Marvel might want to take some of the heavy lifting off Slott. With Spectacular coming out, ASM can drop a couple of issues a year and it won't impact the bottom line. This would free Slott up to catch up on Silver Surfer and/or add another title to his workload.

Chances are very likely that Slott is bringing the Parker Industries storyline to an end soon. If so, that dovetails into Spectacular's promises of a more grounded Spidey.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 02-14-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I've never really been a fan of having two books with the same character. The original premise of Spectacular Spider-Man was that it was the more personal book of the two. But I never thought it lived up to its premise. By the end, it felt like it was essentially one continuing story where you had to read two books. At that point, I didn't understand it at all.

This book interests me, even if the announcement confused me. They aren't saying Amazing Spider-Man is changing its premise, but they're kind of hinting that it's possible to keep Amazing the way it is while still offering comfort food Spider-Man on top of it. I don't know if that really makes sense, but I do think there might be a better chance of keeping these books distinct than there has been in the past. If they can, I'll applaud it. It also gives someone besides Dan Slott a chance to write Peter Parker in a major book.
    I think it's kind of warranted here.

I mean, I think Spider-Man's a strong enough and versatile property that he can carry two solo books with different feels and that explore different aspects of the character, and I also think that Slott, in going in the directions he has taken the book, hasn't been dealing with a lot of the more classic and integral elements of Spider-Man (like MJ, street-level Spidey, classic supporting cast) so we can have satellite titles like Renew Your Vows and Spectacular help pick up that slack and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    More likely they're "clearly reacting" to the fact that Spider-Man: Homecoming is out this summer and want to a) have a new Spidey title to promote and b) have it be as close to "classic Spidey" as possible.

Again, the timing of this title is about capitalizing on movie buzz. Of course they're going to want to have more Peter Parker Spider-Man on the stands prior to Homecoming's release. Also, Marvel might want to take some of the heavy lifting off Slott. With Spectacular coming out, ASM can drop a couple of issues a year and it won't impact the bottom line. This would free Slott up to catch up on Silver Surfer and/or add another title to his workload.

Chances are very likely that Slott is bringing the Parker Industries storyline to an end soon. If so, that dovetails into Spectacular's promises of a more grounded Spidey.
    I think a lot of reasoning could've gone into why this title exists, and while movie synergy probably pays big a part, I don't think the idea that it could be a response to fans who are lukewarm or dislike Parker Industries or want to read a fresh voice on Spider-Man is too far-fetched either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

The original "Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man" series was pretty isolated from Amazing for the first 130 issues or so its run. You had stories like the original Carrion saga or Death of Jean DeWolff while ASM was doing its own thing.

They tried a bit of synergy between the books around the time PAD was on Spec and DeFalco was on ASM, but they were more glancing nods to what was going on in either book. As in, Peter would leave a fight with the Sinister Syndicate at Coney Island in ASM, and go home with a concussion from that fight to be stalked by Sabretooth in PP:SSM. It wasn't until "Kraven's Last Hunt" where the 3 books (with Web Of) formed a six-part crossover for two months. The era of the 90's Clone Saga is where they went madly and greedily overboard with four-part stories across four monthly books.

Anyway, I don't see where it's a problem, when Batman has held down two monthly titles for the span of his existence, in Batman and Detective Comics. I look at Spec as Spider-Man's 'Tec, and if done right can be just as worthwhile, if not more so, than the main title.

Spectacular and Amazing also had MTU to compete with at the time, with all of them referring to each other in stories. That had to be tough on editorial.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Spectacular and Amazing also had MTU to compete with at the time, with all of them referring to each other in stories. That had to be tough on editorial.
    I personally don't recall a lot of crosstalk with the core Spidey titles and MTU, except when Spidey would run into a villain like Blacklash and the editorial box would say they first met in "MTU issue--" so and so.

I think this is a good idea. Some fans are immensely stubborn sometimes and quite resistant to things which are too new, such as having your once down-on-his-luck hero finally make something of his superior aptitude and have a multi national company. Also, sometimes you just want something a little more grounded and less fantastic, and you usually can't get those things from one singular book without having some massive tonal whiplash. So yeah, all for this. No different from when there was like 4 different Spidey books in the 90s, except this actually has a mission statement and a purpose. That said, the actual Spider family line may be at danger of being a bit bloated.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«