Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grevioux Explores Themyscira Pre-Wonder Woman in Odyssey of the Amazons

Grevioux had good answers for horrible questions. Seriously did the interviewer do any research at all? How could he think Wonder Woman had been around since the 30's or that Perez didn't have multi-ethnic Amazons, when Philippus was front and center and Euboea was in the background?

Still it's a great time to be a Wonder Woman fan. We have Year One, The Lies, Donna in Titans, Artemis in RHATO, the WW film right around the corner and now Odyssey of the Amazons. Wednesday can't get here fast enough.

Yeah I didn't understand the that questions either. Asking if him if he chose her because he was black.

His answers were great indeed. Very interesting things he said about not wanting the amazons to be victims. Amazons' origin is not yet covered in Rebirth (it wasn't even in the new 52), so this will probably become cannon. Interested to see how it is explained and if it is an strategic story to be told right now.

Overall, I'm more excited about this book than I've ever been. Still not sure about the art though.

Incredible Member

Dope I look forward to it KG always brings the heat

I'm still unsure about this book. I will probably get it in trade, but I don't know if I'm interested enough to buy the singles.

This looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    His answers were great indeed. Very interesting things he said about not wanting the amazons to be victims. Amazons' origin is not yet covered in Rebirth (it wasn't even in the new 52), so this will probably become cannon.
    Yes and no. While the Amazons' "unfortunate" run-in with Herakles when they still lived in Asia Minor is never touched upon as yet, in the first chapter of Year One one of Diana's friends explicitly references her past as a victim of male violence before being reincarnated as an Amazon, events that are recollected in a way that is too vivid to suggest that she was just informed of her true origin by the Gods like it used to be in Pérez's issues.

The very clear subtext of the story is that Amazons wouldn't even be there if men weren't capable of violence exclusively directed at women.

The victimisation of women is the foundation of their very existence.

It was that way before Flashpoint and it was forcefully reinstated as truth by Rucka with his second run.

It sounds cool and I'll try to check it out.

Do tou guys think there should be more to Amazons being victims of violence? Some people take that has sexist that they cut off themselves from men, I think it's just how it's handled.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Do tou guys think there should be more to Amazons being victims of violence? Some people take that has sexist that they cut off themselves from men, I think it's just how it's handled.
    Well usually there is. Post Crisis they were victims of violence, but the reason they were isolated was because the Gods decreed it so no one would come and open Dooms Door.

I liked this issue! It did feel a little bit like coming into the second season of a preexisting TV show, to be honest -- who are all these characters who seem to have all this history with each other? What has happened to get them to this point? They don't like Artemis? Why don't they like Artemis? etc etc -- but the plot barrels along and gets us swept up in the events (if not caught up, exactly).

This interpretation of the Amazons is interesting. So it's not that all Amazons were made in Greece all at once, even though a lot of them did come from there, but also that they're...born throughout the world over time and slowly discover their natures? Almost like...mutants, or wizards? I like this idea 'cuz it opens up a lot of potential character ideas not just in this series, but in modern DC times.

I hope they can find a way to make this fit in Rebirth continuity...the only major quibble being Rucka's whole "If you leave Themyscira you can never return" notion and at least most of these Amazons did leave Themyscira. But hey, maybe they'll end up never returning by the end of all this? Here's hoping . It's only the first issue so there's lots of time for anything to happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    I liked this issue! It did feel a little bit like coming into the second season of a preexisting TV show, to be honest -- who are all these characters who seem to have all this history with each other? What has happened to get them to this point? They don't like Artemis? Why don't they like Artemis? etc etc -- but the plot barrels along and gets us swept up in the events (if not caught up, exactly).

This interpretation of the Amazons is interesting. So it's not that all Amazons were made in Greece all at once, even though a lot of them did come from there, but also that they're...born throughout the world over time and slowly discover their natures? Almost like...mutants, or wizards? I like this idea 'cuz it opens up a lot of potential character ideas not just in this series, but in modern DC times.

I hope they can find a way to make this fit in Rebirth continuity...the only major quibble being Rucka's whole "If you leave Themyscira you can never return" notion and at least most of these Amazons did leave Themyscira. But hey, maybe they'll end up never returning by the end of all this? Here's hoping . It's only the first issue so there's lots of time for anything to happen here.
    I enjoyed it too. Apparently we were the only two. After years of suggestions there should be a Wonder Woman spinoff, or a series based on the Amazon's history, we finally get one and it goes all but unmentioned on Wonder Woman's message board? That's kind of weird. If we don't support the book who will?

It was enjoyable enough, I like the diversity of the Amazons although the Katana Amazon seemed a bit off with her Phantom of the Opera mask and all. Also I felt that the writing was a bit ham handed. I do understand that they are going for a legendary feel here but the narrative voice was a bit over the top in my opinion. I did like Hessia struggling with the ethical peace/war concept as embodied by the Amazons and it gives a appreciated backstory and help explains how she ended up leaving Themiscyra. Will be interested to see how the second issue plays out.