Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

I've actually seen several articles on African mobile phone and internet Click, the BBC's IT show which airs in the UK on TV and on the BBC World Service in a radio format.

They are becoming increasingly reliant on this technology but they haven't got to the stage where they can't cope when it goes down.

The notion of first world problems isn't quite as trivial as it seems at first. If you work from home and you can't get internet access because of a fault and need to send an important document to a colleague immediately, it can be impossible to do so. Of course, high speed communication has created a world of tight deadlines and long distance communications while people would have been working in the same building in the past in most cases. The modern era has created a reliance on everything working smoothly and quickly and the tightened time frames have become one of the banes of the modern world. People are under a lot of pressure as they are often at the beck and call of others constantly. It used to be that you had lot more freedom before you started carrying a phone which is also a computer with you everywhere.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by weetomuncher View Post
    I've actually seen several articles on African mobile phone and internet Click, the BBC's IT show which airs in the UK on TV and on the BBC World Service in a radio format.

They are becoming increasingly reliant on this technology but they haven't got to the stage where they can't cope when it goes down.

The notion of first world problems isn't quite as trivial as it seems at first. If you work from home and you can't get internet access because of a fault and need to send an important document to a colleague immediately, it can be impossible to do so. Of course, high speed communication has created a world of tight deadlines and long distance communications while people would have been working in the same building in the past in most cases. The modern era has created a reliance on everything working smoothly and quickly and the tightened time frames have become one of the banes of the modern world. People are under a lot of pressure as they are often at the beck and call of others constantly. It used to be that you had lot more freedom before you started carrying a phone which is also a computer with you everywhere.
    First world problems usually have easy workarounds, like going to the library to send off your work from there, printing stuff out at Kinko's instead of at home etc.

I'm reminded of a cartoon I once saw: A secretary is on the phone saying "Susan, it's simply horrible: The servers are down and we have to do everything manually" - and you see a half dozen secretaries playing solitaire with a set of cards on their desks.

You know what sucks more? Rogue apostrophes!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    You know what sucks more? Rogue apostrophes!
    Oh yes. Seconded.

Fantastic Member

I'd hope anyone around my age (I'm 50) is having a good laugh at the notion of modern TVs being heavy. I have a 32" Sony Triniton stored here that hasn't been plugged in in about 15 years but I haven't gotten rid of it because I don't want to move it. It's a freakin boulder! Otoh, the 40" flatscreen I bought about 6 months ago, I carried into the house myself...including holding it in one hand while I unlocked the front door! Lol...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I'd hope anyone around my age (I'm 50) is having a good laugh at the notion of modern TVs being heavy. I have a 32" Sony Triniton stored here that hasn't been plugged in in about 15 years but I haven't gotten rid of it because I don't want to move it. It's a freakin boulder! Otoh, the 40" flatscreen I bought about 6 months ago, I carried into the house myself...including holding it in one hand while I unlocked the front door! Lol...
    The Sony Triniton was a great TV though. I had one for 17 years, I think. Timeless design, and just built to last. Just the remotes had to be replaced from time to time.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    The Sony Triniton was a great TV though. I had one for 17 years, I think. Timeless design, and just built to last. Just the remotes had to be replaced from time to time.
    Maybe so, but I'll take the 40" flat screen any day.