Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Maybe you should take a page from NZ Inferno and get insurance for them?
    I mentioned EQC above, that is actually a government run insurance specifically for earthquakes. If you have private house/contents insurance you pay a EQC levy that goes into the pot to be paid out in the event of an earthquake. They pay the first 100k on land/buildings(I think) and the first 20k of contents then the private insurance covers the rest. It mitigates the risk for insurance companies, and ensures premiums aren't outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    This is very unfortunate. Chalk up one more in earthquake country who needs to come up with a plan to mitigate this in his collection. I am glad it was only some property damage and not injury.

On topic, it is really hard to just throw a value out there for damaged books because so much of the collector market value is based on condition. I have bought a few books with bumped corners or noticeable shelf wear on the bottom and corners of the jacket, but from what I can see the only one I might bid on in an eBay setting would be the Absolute, if that's the extent of the damage, and I would top out at probably 60% of NM+ price in a whale scenario. I am much more likely to pay a higher premium for NM OOP books than try and save a buck or two and have what I consider severe damage. If it were me I wouldn't settle for less than 70% of Fair Market Value on the heavily damaged items if you can't get full replacement. Unfortunately you won't know what you could get for them unless you try to sell them and that can vary wildly depending on who is looking at the time, but I don't think it's unreasonable to estimate 30% value even on a damaged whale, like was said there most likely is at least one person who is willing to live with rough condition for price point. I hope you can get it squared smoothly with your insurance. Best wishes.
    Yeah it sucked big time, after having all my books on the floor for a couple of months(hello aftershocks) I'm sort of immune to the damage now. There are definitely worse things that can happen.

That is basically my thinking, condition is everything and any damage makes a book significantly less valuable. The Adjuster is trying to figure what value has been knocked off the books from the damage and what insurance actually covers is really the next step in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    There is no easy answer, as I'm sure you have discovered.

I can tell you that I've watched listings sell on ebay of books with damage to the extent of the photos you've shared, and they all sell for 50% or under of the going price of undamaged copies. This is in the US of A, though, where copies of these books are more easy to come by. General scarcity in NZ might bump that up some.

The degree of the damage matters. Blunted corners isn't so bad. Spine damage and splits or tears to cover material are really bad for resale-ability prospects. Damage to the binding is unsellable. Your Colossal Conan is probably completely fucked, for example, but I'd be surprised if your Absolute Planetary wouldn't fetch about the full market price since that's just some very minor slipcase damage.

Good luck, and don't let that adjustor cheat you. But remember, it's really just stuff, and most of those books would still read perfectly anyway. That means they still serve their function!
    Shipping is being taken into account in the market value, especially since all my books with few exceptions were imported. I agree with the damage assessment, spine and binding is basically the book. There are a few of mine like that.

And yeah the Conan is pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    First of all, welcome back NZ!!! I'm sorry your return isn't under better circumstances...

Personally, I've paid above cover price for damaged copies of OOP books in the past. I've had to really want it, and the material has to be unavailable otherwise; so there's still a possibility you could get some return on investment. You'll probably need a lot of patience, and do a lot of relisting until the right buyer stumbles in.

And just because something's OOP doesn't necessarily mean it's selling for waaay above cover; you might still be able to find some good deals on replacement copies.
    Cheers bro, hows mod life with that slacker Balakin haha

I think the price problem discrepancy is that I gave verifiable prices in the initial claim, my purchase price, the US rrp and the NZ retail. I bought most of my books at 50% discount on average so the replacement price is a lot higher and they were trying to understand why. Not necessarily a reflection of OOPness.

I presume the price you paid would still be well below what a good copy would be worth? I just don't know if I can go through with hunting down OOP books again, took me years for some of these.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Hey NZ_InFerno, good to have you back. I'm only sorry it's under such unfortunate circumstances. Very sorry to hear about the damage to your collection but glad you're doing ok. I have literally a handful of "badly" damaged books. A few I got my money back and I was allowed to keep as they were described differently. The remaining couple or so are OOP (Spider-Man The Other OHC, Captain America Fallen Son OHC...) and I paid around 30-60% for them. I live in Poland, so similar to you, it's not so easy getting these books at a good price. However, when I visited Australia, I realised how much more expensive comics are in Australia and New Zealand. At present, I personally would steer away from such damaged books but if there was something I very badly wanted and it was "normally" going for extortionate prices (Civil War Spider-Man OHC, MMW Spider-Man Vol. 14), I personally wouldn't pay more than 50% of its value.

Btw, how did your Daredevil Omni/OHC collection fare?

welcome back and...
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Cheers bro, hows mod life with that slacker Balakin haha
    ...oh you!!!!

But in all seriousness, this sucks big time! Hope you manage to figure out a good solution (unfortunately I can't really add anything wiser than others already did).

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Hey NZ_InFerno, good to have you back. I'm only sorry it's under such unfortunate circumstances. Very sorry to hear about the damage to your collection but glad you're doing ok. I have literally a handful of "badly" damaged books. A few I got my money back and I was allowed to keep as they were described differently. The remaining couple or so are OOP (Spider-Man The Other OHC, Captain America Fallen Son OHC...) and I paid around 30-60% for them. I live in Poland, so similar to you, it's not so easy getting these books at a good price. However, when I visited Australia, I realised how much more expensive comics are in Australia and New Zealand. At present, I personally would steer away from such damaged books but if there was something I very badly wanted and it was "normally" going for extortionate prices (Civil War Spider-Man OHC, MMW Spider-Man Vol. 14), I personally wouldn't pay more than 50% of its value.

Btw, how did your Daredevil Omni/OHC collection fare?
    Heya, the Daredevil collection was ok. I'd actually sold my Miller DD Omnis last year and the Brubaker ones escaped unharmed! I see they're reprinting these which is good. The Bendis OHCs, just one of them had any damage. A few books got saved as I had a little table near the bookshelf and they landed on that, so didn't really get damaged which was lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    welcome back and...

...oh you!!!!
    But in all seriousness, this sucks big time! Hope you manage to figure out a good solution (unfortunately I can't really add anything wiser than others already did).

Thanks, couldn't resist the wind up haha.

I've emailed off suggestions from here around damage and prices. Also used comics grading to give a sense of value, NM to FN etc which works out about 30% on average of original value on a damaged book. Some books are more damaged than others so get different grades so will wait and see what they say about it.

Cheers for all the help people, hopefully I won't be stranger for so long again

Hey gang, well good news I've received a settlement for my books. Worked it through with the insurance coverer and they ended up covering about 90% of present value so pretty good considering what could have been. I'm planning to sort through the books now and work out what I want to keep/replace.

I see there has been a few reprintings of OOP books since I stopped buying HCs, any chance Colossal Conan is being reprinted? It's the one book I was pretty gutted about being damaged.

Spectacular Member

Hey gang, well good news I've received a settlement for my books. Worked it through with the insurance coverer and they ended up covering about 90% of present value so pretty good considering what could have been. I'm planning to sort through the books now and work out what I want to keep/replace.

I see there has been a few reprintings of OOP books since I stopped buying HCs, any chance Colossal Conan is being reprinted? It's the one book I was pretty gutted about being damaged.
    Dark Horse is currently reprinting Busiek's Conan, but as fat TPBs , not HC

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

That's great news. Good for you.

great news! And yeah I'm pretty sure there are no plans for CC. DH doesn't even reprint the BPRD hc-s.