Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Whens the last time we seen quality witty banter from Spidey?

Not since spectacular spidey have i seen a remarkably funny version of spiderman in wisecracking, maybe they've given up on him since they use Deadpool as they're joke gold mine and thusly making him much easier to have better jokes?

Brian Michael Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man captured this part of the character really well.

Funny you mention Deadpool, cause I actually think the Spider-Man/Deadpool comic he's really funny and witty with his banter in that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Brian Michael Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man captured this part of the character really well.
    There's a hilarious scene early on where Spidey's weapon of choice against the Kingpin is fat jokes. He's even reading them out of a little notebook!

Fantastic Member

There is no genuine witty left in Peter 616 ... It was a great balance to life throwing stuff at him folks you could relate to ..

Life kicks him when he's down ... He goes and pounds some guys ass in a back alley while tossing out of witty one liners ...

They've kind of gone above and beyond in grinding him down or elevating him into the stratosphere ...

At this point ... his witty one liners are going to sound like Roberto from Futurama (Hiyaaa...)

It almost does fit anymore - but I miss it :/
    Last edited by Vixx; 02-15-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man written by Dan Slott is funny all the times to me.
    The witty banter is well writen by Slott imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    There's a hilarious scene early on where Spidey's weapon of choice against the Kingpin is fat jokes. He's even reading them out of a little notebook!
    Oh, yeah, great scene. His "I fell in love with a crazy person" monologue in the theirs annual was also a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Spider-Man written by Dan Slott is funny all the times to me.
    The witty banter is well writen by Slott imo.
    I haven't had that experience. In fact, one thing I do not like of Slott is how stiff and clunky his writing can get. (Even the Renew Your Vows miniseries -- the one think of his that I love and think has really good character work -- isn't exactly really subtle and tends to go for '80s TMNT levels of writing sometimes). But if you think differently, fair enough.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 02-16-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Spider-Men. It's been a while since I've found ASM to have any witty banter personally.

Astonishing Member

Laughed at Slott's at times. Last of which, Superior Spider-Man.

Most recent, Christopher Yost and the Superior Spider-Man. Yost writes the character the best.

JMS Spidey was frequently funny.

BANNED

Bendis' Ultimate Peter was a bantsmaster all the way to the end. Miles was a pretty good substitute, but never reached the heights of Ult Peter's interactions with Ock, Kingpin and the like.

I don't mind Slott's Peter at all, but the banter is not as good as it should be.

Spider-Man/Deadpool is a bit inconsistent due to the shifts in writing, but there's a fair bit of banter to be found. I don't know much about Zdarsky, but I would expect his upcoming PP:SSM to have some jokes.

The 80s pretty much.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Dan Slott, Ultimate Spider-Man, Plenty of JMS. The 1980s and before that. Want to get really stupid and goofy with Spider-Man? Well, Ultimate Spider-Man, the animated series of 1967 and 1981, and the made for TV "Amazing Spider-Man" movies are up there in terms of Peter Parker being a goof. Actually, just about all the live action Spider-Men have had some quips to them, come to think of it.

I feel when Joe Kelly is actually writing the title Peter is witty in Spider-Man/Deadpool.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I feel when Joe Kelly is actually writing the title Peter is witty in Spider-Man/Deadpool.
    No i don't agree, deadpool beats him there, i want the master od cracking wise remarks Spiderman.

I feel like spec spidey was the character at his highest sarcastically comedic wit, along some qoutes in mvc3.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Bendis' Ultimate Peter was a bantsmaster all the way to the end. Miles was a pretty good substitute, but never reached the heights of Ult Peter's interactions with Ock, Kingpin and the like.

I don't mind Slott's Peter at all, but the banter is not as good as it should be.

Spider-Man/Deadpool is a bit inconsistent due to the shifts in writing, but there's a fair bit of banter to be found. I don't know much about Zdarsky, but I would expect his upcoming PP:SSM to have some jokes.
    Spider-Man's really funny in Zdarksy's Howard The Duck, though that's not so much his banter, moreso how of an ineffective doofus he makes him. He's most likely not gonna take that version for Spectacular, but that at least shows he can handle comedy really well.