Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Ugh crap. Just had an awful thought.

We see Anna and Peter check on Ben and Octavious. Both are dust. We know Ben's getting his own series and we have two more issues. What if one of the next issues shows Miles trying to get revenge on Ben by bringing him back from his dust state just to torture him again? And what if the dust he grabs a handful of Otto and Ben dust and mixes it with the missing "ultimate template" to create yet another "superior spider" but this time Otto and Ben are both trapped in one body and fighting it out differently than how Peter and Otto mind fought???
    That's not the comic TPTB said are happening with Reilly.

http://comicbook.com/2017/02/15/spid...vel-dan-slott/

I could do without Slott ever using the term "monkey's paw" again.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 02-15-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So i read the bleeding cool article- it sounds like it might be that doc ock has hijacked the other ben reilly clone, which means we may get superior spider man 2.0; i'm not sure we need to revisit that particular story.
    I'm still holding out hope that some of Miles Warren's DNA ended up in Ben, which is what's making him go nuts. If you read CC while imagining Ben as Miles, it fits perfectly.

Also, I'm assuming that Ben (or Ock) is now somehow in the proto-clone body.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    I'm still holding out hope that some of Miles Warren's DNA ended up in Ben, which is what's making him go nuts. If you read CC while imagining Ben as Miles, it fits perfectly.

Also, I'm assuming that Ben (or Ock) is now somehow in the proto-clone body.
    Well, there's still one more tie-in issue before the epilogue, right? Given it has classic Jackal on the cover, we might get some revelation about the hand Warren secretly played in this.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

idk if tbis has been mentioned at all, but what if the scarley spider in thr nre book isnt ben just his body and its Ock giving us a version or Superior Spider-man again
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

Dan Slott gotta go b

Fantastic Member

http://comicbook.com/2017/02/15/spid...vel-dan-slott/

I could do without Slott ever using the term "monkey's paw" again.
    Ugh. Slott's interviews are always horrible. I wish he would stop with the fake advertising he always does.

No surprise in this event being awful. They really need a new writer for ASM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by incarnati0n View Post
    So, since gwen died (again), can someone plz explain why Slott made the retcon of when she died? Because honestly I'm not seeing why it was necessary.
    It wasn't a retcon of Sins Past, IIRC. He just said he was going to disregard it.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So i read the bleeding cool article- it sounds like it might be that doc ock has hijacked the other ben reilly clone, which means we may get superior spider man 2.0; i'm not sure we need to revisit that particular story.
    No, just no. Let Ock be Ock, not possessing someone else's body.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    He could have upped the ante by actually showing a carrion plague breaking out and showing how the affected are turning into carrions
    Wasn't that what all the Spider-Verse elements were for? To show how screwed up the entire world gets by the Carrion virus if Peter didn't stop it. We saw parts of the chaos it was causing with the reanimateds that were in the general populace. Frankly I could have done without the whole Carrion virus element and had it greatly reduced as the concept of Peter interacting friends and foes he thought long dead is a novel enough idea to carry an event without a save the world plot.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Ugh crap. Just had an awful thought.

We see Anna and Peter check on Ben and Octavious. Both are dust. We know Ben's getting his own series and we have two more issues. What if one of the next issues shows Miles trying to get revenge on Ben by bringing him back from his dust state just to torture him again? And what if the dust he grabs a handful of Otto and Ben dust and mixes it with the missing "ultimate template" to create yet another "superior spider" but this time Otto and Ben are both trapped in one body and fighting it out differently than how Peter and Otto mind fought???
    Nah. I can't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, I take it the consensus is that if you didn't read the story, don't bother?
    If you're a fan of Peter and Gwen as a couple it's nice to get some interaction with them and honestly it's done well with a nice moment in this issue where it seems Peter accepts this Gwen as the real deal and not just a clone. It also gives her a more noble death defending the world. While I doubt this will eclipse her original death long term at least I can imagine it will referenced in the near future

Some D-list villains are now alive and conveniently none of the dead supporting cast made it which is a shame as I thought one or two might make it particularly Ned Leeds since a version of him will feature in the upcoming movie. It's set up for Ben Reilly's series and the return of Otto. Speaking of which another nice moment which I don't think anyone has mentioned so far is that Otto kinda goes out a hero with Peter acknowledging that after being in his mind he knows there is some good in him. So anyone worrying that Otto's Superior Spider-Man characterization has been completely reversed can breath easier.

Beyond that any enjoyment you get I would bet is based on how much of a Ben Reilly fan you are. If you're not that invested in him then he's just another villain in a mask, if you are a fan then you'll probably think this is the worst thing ever written and Slott the worst writer ever but will probably buy the Scarlet Spider series anyway case in point...

Quote Originally Posted by rckstr1253 View Post
    How does one go about becoming a writer for marvel. I could write better stories than this garbage. No wonder why their sales are tanking!
    I did warn ya. To correct you again Marvel's sales aren't tanking. Sorry to break it to you.

I'm still going to give PAD a fair shot at somehow fixing this mess, but like I said earlier, I'm done with Slott. I have a lot of issues with his writing.
    I don't think PAD has any intention of fixing Ben. Unless he's been punking us the characterization of Ben in the upcoming Scarlet Spider series is sounds even crazier than this story. The only difference is that he's trying to be a hero as opposed to the quasi-villain he is in this story. Has he ever expressed a fondness for the 90s Clone Saga that would suggest he'd fix Ben or that Marvel would want that kind of series anyway? Don't get me wrong I'd like Ben back as a hero but I'm not sure blonde Spider-Man is something that PAD is interesting in writing or Marvel is willing to take a gamble on more then the ten or so Clone Saga loyalists showing up for decades later but crazy Spider-Man possibly seeking redemption, now that's a hook.
    Last edited by Orbus; 02-15-2017 at 04:07 PM.

what exactly was the point of this story? To bring back a form of Ben Reilly? To bring back a bunch of "clones" only to kill them again? No wonder my LCS owner smiled today when I asked him if I would be disappointed in this issue.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    what exactly was the point of this story? To bring back a form of Ben Reilly? To bring back a bunch of "clones" only to kill them again? No wonder my LCS owner smiled today when I asked him if I would be disappointed in this issue.
    Also bring back Doctor Octopus, give Gwen a more noble death and some closure in her relationship with Peter, introduce a new Electro and looks like there may be a storyline brewing with the Lizard and the Rhino...so there's that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    This story put pretty much every dead Spidey villain and possibly even some supporting characters back for writers to use and certain characters who worked for Ben like Lizard and Rhino seem like they will be undergoing big changes. There's also the fact that Peter sabatoged his company's flagship product to save the world. I understand being disappointed in the event, but the fallout is going to be fairly big.
    Last edited by Shirayuki; 02-15-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Spectacular Member

Still gotta hope the new Ben Reilly will awaken from a pod and not know about ben27 evil destruction

BANNED

can Ben 27 be shown to do all this because he was irrationally angry with peter because he did not avenge his death at hands of goblin? Then he may have interacted with him sometime unknown to him to find out who inspired his no one dies edict only to find it had nothing to do with him and he may have been deeply hurt due to been forgotten by him so he adopted the jackal persona and staged out this whole drama just to psyche him out and mess with him and prove he had become the better version. Reminds you of some other similar story?