Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Did the real warren show up in this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by rckstr1253 View Post
    Did the real warren show up in this issue?
    No that's apparently going to be the tie-in issue that he appears in.

Spectacular Member

In the one panel was Ben degrading as well? Or was it just line drawn under his eyes?

Incredible Member

I'm quite glad the new Kubert/Zdarsky book was announced. This was another event from Dan Slott that didn't work for me, and the new book should be right up my alley.

I did like how Dan handled the Gwen Stacy twist, as well as her scenes with Peter. Everything else fell flat for me.

So, I take it the consensus is that if you didn't read the story, don't bother?

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, I take it the consensus is that if you didn't read the story, don't bother?
    If you're a fan of Ben, don't bother, it'll just piss you off, in fact don't bother period, it was a lame ending to a lame story

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Once again, a Dan Slott story starts off with promise and ends with a thud. So many things that didn't make sense, and questions left unanswered.

Between this and how badly he mis-handled Ben Reilly, I'm officially off of any book written by Slott, including ASM. I've had enough.
    Amen, I'm off of Amazing and having pretty much lost all interest in the new Scarlet Spider book, even if it has a creative team I like, this isn't Ben, it's a deranged clone that is trying to claim his legacy, not something I want to read about
    Last edited by Agent of Wolfram & Hart; 02-15-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Killing off Ock has got to be the most stupid idea ever! He's already died before! Heck, making Dock Ock a head in a jar like Futurama would be loads more interesting IMO. Having no body left would be a way to deal with that creep!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Killing off Ock has got to be the most stupid idea ever! He's already died before! Heck, making Dock Ock a head in a jar like Futurama would be loads more interesting IMO. Having no body left would be a way to deal with that creep!
    The way they 'died' makes it pretty clear that Slott intends for them to both be alive. No body, no death.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I'm quite glad the new Kubert/Zdarsky book was announced. This was another event from Dan Slott that didn't work for me, and the new book should be right up my alley.

I did like how Dan handled the Gwen Stacy twist, as well as her scenes with Peter. Everything else fell flat for me.
    I'm also really happy about the new book.

After another mediocre event I'm off ASM until gets a new writer.
    We need better comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Come on...does any comic reader think that this is the end of Ock? He's a supervillain. They "die" all the time. That's just comics.

As for the conclusion here, it was just ok. Some nice moments, though, like with Gwen. But I didn't like the conclusion to Spider Island much either and it was only the wrap-up issue that turned my opinion around on that event so I'll wait for the Omega issue before giving my final judgement on this one.

Probably the thing that held CC back the most in my opinion was the choice of artist. Cheung is great but I didn't feel like he was an ideal match for the material here. His style is too "cartoony" for a story that has the dark, dramatic feel that this should've had. I just don't think his art sold the story as well as another artist might've. But credit to him for doing the entire series and getting it all in on schedule. That's no small feat these days.

So i read the bleeding cool article- it sounds like it might be that doc ock has hijacked the other ben reilly clone, which means we may get superior spider man 2.0; i'm not sure we need to revisit that particular story.
    Last edited by protege; 02-15-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Come on...does any comic reader think that this is the end of Ock? He's a supervillain. They "die" all the time. That's just comics.

As for the conclusion here, it was just ok. Some nice moments, though, like with Gwen. But I didn't like the conclusion to Spider Island much either and it was only the wrap-up issue that turned my opinion around on that event so I'll wait for the Omega issue before giving my final judgement on this one.

Probably the thing that held CC back the most in my opinion was the choice of artist. Cheung is great but I didn't feel like he was an ideal match for the material here. His style is too "cartoony" for a story that has the dark, dramatic feel that this should've had. I just don't think his art sold the story as well as another artist might've. But credit to him for doing the entire series and getting it all in on schedule. That's no small feat these days.
    But so many deaths in a short time gets pretty rediculous. IDK, but I already feel like Spectacular Spider-Man coming up with Vulture might be more my thing. I agree with you about Cheung on the art. I like his style.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    The way they 'died' makes it pretty clear that Slott intends for them to both be alive. No body, no death.

You could be right, but still, Ock is giving me vibes of Kenny from South Park, keep killing him!

Amazing Member

So, since gwen died (again), can someone plz explain why Slott made the retcon of when she died? Because honestly I'm not seeing why it was necessary.

Mighty Member

Other than the stuff with Gwen, this was awful. Ben Reilly reduced to a crazed, genocidal madman, whom Peter defeats without breaking a sweat. The entire world was supposed to be in jeopardy, but this had no stakes at all. Even the resolution, with Peter supposedly throwing Parker Industries under the bus, came across as barely relevant.

And they're supposed to be launching a Ben Reilly book out of this? Who wants to read about this character, presented in this way? PAD has his work cut out for him. Interesting aside, if Slott didn't seem so hell bent on throwing Reilly under the bus, I feel like this arc would have worked so much better with Octavius as the villain, teaming up with Warren. Let Warren step in and be the crazy that nearly destroys the world, but let's see how Superior affected Otto. Trying to do the right thing in the wrong way would have been an interesting turn for the character. Especially the conclusion, with Otto's love being the factor that finally turns him on the Jackal could have been something amazing, instead of just awfully damn convenient. Oh well. I haven't been reading Slott's Spidey, I only read this for the supposed Ben Reilly connection. I was massively let down, both as a fan of Ben and as a fan of good comics. Back to my Spidey-free life. Come on Marvel, you can do better than this cash grab!