Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default I really don't like Superman as a Father

I know alot of people do, butI just can't get behind it because it makes Superman "too grounded" for me, I want something like Morrison, completely out of reach and unbelievable. Super with Lois together as Husband and Wife having a child and raising him is just...boring. Boring as in so "Safety Gloves" in removing any ideas of stakes, ambiguity, drama, and tension for a man that is the ultimate hero of the world chronicling his adventures against the worst opposition of evil forces. So far, nothing of Superdad is interestingly put on the line or holds intriguing twists. Superdad is the most boring, all perfect, impossibly kind parent of the character I've ever seen and Jon is the kind of kid I want to wedgie because he's too sweet and sickingly cardboard good like his dad. Superman works as a mission like Batman who despite his pure white idealism and godlike power had a sotra greek element to him in that his stories were able to disconnect from our lives and enrich our imaginations all the while providing a human belief to aspire while fighting a endless solitary battle of attrition.

Batman I feel is responsible for everything Modern superhero stories stand for, even being a fathet himself batman still goes beyond his obligations of being a parent for the mission hes commited to, we see him mold many robins and his own son take up his mission
    And it stays interesting since Batman unlike Superdad isn't the best parent nor daimen is raised to be a copy paste of his father with the normal advantages of a ideal life, the stories with the bat family connect with everything in the batman world. Superman plays with multiple concepts with multiple plot narratives trying to treat the Superman world like the Real World and Clark Kent and Superman as a dad going to work rather than being both. Like it's having to become a feel good story than pure fun.

So this why I hate RYV, the fantastic four is way better with family and heroes because their lives and family dynamic is centeredaround heroism and adventures than normal life where everything even reality bends to their will because they're a happy ideal family. Superman finally became one of those op shonen dads that the main lead came from who stole the show from everyone back in their heyday and was basically a legend, but unlike them hes alive, steals the show, kills a tension, has all the answers and raises a son in the most boring 50s sitcom way imaginable.

So yeah.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 02-15-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Its growing on me a bit. I mean, it IS staying so I figured either try to get used to it or leave. And thankfuyl I've been able to get used to it a little bit. If I had any type of say would I keep it? Probably not. But, so it is.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

In theory, I should hate it. It's the sort of gimmick that ends up making a mess and getting retconned down the line. But darned if I don't love it. Feels fresh and new and vital.

I stilll suspect it'll end up getting retconned eventually, when the inevitable reboot comes, so no need to worry too much. But, boy, I''m enjoying the ride.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I kind of agree with the OP. The only thing that Superman is missing now to be even more relatable is growing a fat belly and going bald.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-15-2017 at 08:20 PM.

I respect your opinion, but i think that you are overblowing things a bit, specially with the "too grounded" part, because it doesn't feel like that to me, the stories has been typical Superman stuff for the most part, battle on the moon, punching dinasours, misteries on Metropolis, being in a forced alliance with an old foe, etc.

As for being all powerfull, is funny, because people are complaning tha Superdad is too weak and has being against the ropes to many times.

Also why the to RYV, is just an alternative universe that doesn't really affect the main book.

I don't like how it got tossed into continuity, the way it did, but it's won me over. He's a fun character and fatherhood suits Supes. That and I'm just glad the Wonder Woman romance is over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I respect your opinion, but i think that you are overblowing things a bit, specially with the "too grounded" part, because it doesn't feel like that to me, the stories has been typical Superman stuff for the most part, battle on the moon, punching dinasours, misteries on Metropolis, being in a forced alliance with an old foe, etc.
    The "Superman" book has given us more wonder than I can recall from a Super title in a very long time.

honestly I think part of what can makes a lot of Superman comics great is getting the right balance of mostly larger-than-life adventure, heart, and a relatively small healthy dose of good old fashion mundane-ness. Which is why I think the current run is so well received, since it gets that balance perfectly.

I don't like it either, especially when the kid becomes such a big story point. If it was just that Superman has a child who is mostly "off camera", has no powers, and is rarely the focus of anything, it'd be easier to deal with. Instead, we get comics like today's issue of Superman where it's all about this little kid and Superman only gets like a 1 or 2 panel cameo in his own book. I don't buy Superman to read about some 10 year old kid getting ice cream on his face.

And, of course, it's a fundamental change to the character of Superman, who now puts his family's good over the good of the world at large, instead of being the guy who didn't want to even date Lois because he feared it would be a conflict of interest for him relative to his mission and who mutually agreed when dating Wonder Woman that their missions and the safety of earth would always come before their relationship. Now he's got a kid he's putting forth. It's not a small change.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

And, of course, it's a fundamental change to the character of Superman, who now puts his family's good over the good of the world at large, instead of being the guy who didn't want to even date Lois because he feared it would be a conflict of interest for him relative to his mission and who mutually agreed when dating Wonder Woman that their missions and the safety of earth would always come before their relationship.
    This makes Clark sound tremendously maladjusted, IMO. He's not Batman. He's a guy from Kansas who grew up in a loving home trying to help as best he can. Fatherhood seems like a natural evolution, at least for my preferred version of the character.

If he put his family about the world, he wouldn't be Superman and have been shown or implied that Jon doesn't see his dad as much as he would like. Is a change, that's for sure, but not as big, he still act like you would expect from Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

As for being all powerfull, is funny, because people are complaning tha Superdad is too weak and has being against the ropes to many times.

Also why the to RYV, is just an alternative universe that doesn't really affect the main book.
    I love all these things that that your telling me sonce its pure Superman, the son kills it for me though since Supes is no longer has that "the adventure continues" element and mystique that he thrives on, its just Dad punching in for work as usual making his adventures a timely scheduled parent life. This sounds fun i must admit, but only when superman is near middle aged semi retired old man. Lois also lost her veal for adventure and drive, her mother concept is the main reason Superdad lost any interest in this concept to me it lowers Supermans to us boring non action beings with zero imaginative plot conundrums, infinite plot armor for jon and lois , and a predictable sense of family values. Oh and its not about Supes any more, but to be fair batman isn't always about Bruce Wayne, but Batman always holds the cards by having influence on everything related to him and from his rouges.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 02-15-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My only real concern about it is Jon going to age as time goes on? And if so, how quickly? That's the problem with incorporating kids into continuity. By slapping a specific age on kids, you are creating a timeline by how much time passes. He's not a bad character. As long as they don't build the entire series around him. Have him help out his dad once in a while but I don't want a situation where he bails his dad out every issue or his dad has to bail him out. I also hope they don't go the Supergirl route and make him more powerful than Superman.
    Assassinate Putin!

During this time of flux, I'm okay with a super son. But if you were to tell me that from here on out, every Superman story in all media would feature his rugrat, and this went on for 10+ years, I'd probably cry foul.

Fantastic Member

I like it. This is the natural progression of Superman's and Lois's relationship. Love, marriage, and baby. They should of done it years ago.