Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

love all these things that that your telling me sonce its pure Superman, the son kills it for me though since Supes is no longer has that "the adventure continues" element and mystique that he thrives on, its just Dad punching in for work as usual making his adventures a timely scheduled parent life. This sounds fun i must admit, but only when superman is near middle aged semi retired old man. Lois also lost her veal for adventure and drive, her mother concept is the main reason Superdad lost any interest in this concep, it lowers Supermans to us boring non action beings with infinite plot armor and a predictable sense of family values. Oh and its not about Supes anu more, but to be fair batman isn't always about Bruce Wayne, but Batman always holds the cards by having influence on everything related to him and from his rouges.
    They weren't time schedule, the battle moon was a unexpected outcome from an encounter with a xenphobic machine (Erradicator), the Dinasour Island was a surprising turn when they were working in a science project, etc, the adventure vibe is still there, Superman is still a larger than life kind of charather.
    Lois is doing what she always does, she just got undercover in Action last week and investigating the human Clark Kent. Superman is still the center of the whole thing, last storyarc on Action was about give Lex Luthor a second chance, his family didn't had anything to do with that decision, as for having plot armor, every version of the charather has going throught that, in one way or another, until this week with #17, Jon has been mostly background noise.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Strongly disagree with the OP. The Super titles haven't been this full of wonder, scope, emotion, humor etc in years. Instead of doing everything in their power to regress Superman the last decade, the powers that be should have taken this logical next step years ago. Not a fan of HOW we got here,but now that we are I would likely just give up if they just went back.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I should've added that Super-dad should've been the last arc pre-52, instead of "Grounded."

I love Superman being a father. It's something that just fits Superman..and it finally feels like the character has made real progress with a history behind him, rather than being rebooted back to square one,while other characters (like Batman) are allowed to keep most of their history. It seems that DC has realized the problems that reboots have created,and will hopefully stick to Earth One/Ultimate Universe-like alternate universe books,if they want to start from "square one".
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 02-15-2017 at 09:16 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Yeah...I don't agree. I respect your opinion and the opinions of like-minded others, but I don't agree in the slightest. Mr. El's fun, I'm now firmly down for Jon, and I love the family dynamic and feel that it has so much potential to it. My mind literally buzzes with the possibility this dynamic holds.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

My only real problem with it is that I don't like the idea of Superman putting a family over others/the world.

It's only human to put the wellbeing of loved ones first, but he's SUPERMAN, every life should matter equally to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    My only real problem with it is that I don't like the idea of Superman putting a family over others/the world.

It's only human to put the wellbeing of loved ones first, but he's SUPERMAN, every life should matter equally to him.
    This went out the window when Clark continued to live as Clark as an adult, rather than turning his back on his Earthly identity. He's always had a large supporting cast of loved ones and close friends, and they are often imperiled as a result.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It doesn't really "fit" a mainstream Superman. Superman is *everyones* dad.

Anyway, I'd be okay with it if it wasn't done so, so poorly.

For the peoples who insist he's putting g his family before everyone else, where is the proof of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For the peoples who insist he's putting g his family before everyone else, where is the proof of this?
    Justice League kinda? Not Superman or Action, though. And probably didn't read the L&C mini which shows pre-FP Supes helping in the shadows therefore assuming he did nothing during his 10 year stay in New52 universe.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 02-16-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Also didn't like that time he yelled at their farmer neighbor just because he was concerned about Jon's wellbeing.

What was even the context on that other than him being an overprotective dick?

The thing with this is that Superman needs love and connections in his life in order to be grounded, to keep from being detached, to be the best that he can be. An emotionally-unfulfilled Superman is an ineffective Superman; we see this again and again throughout mainline canons and alternate timelines alike, in film and TV, in virtually every incarnation of the character. Saying that he needs to be absolutely impartial about literally everyone in the world basically just means that he needs to stop having a life as Clark Kent, and a Superman who isn't Clark Kent is kind of a crippled or even outright dangerous Superman to be.

To say nothing of the fact that it would just make him kinda robotic and unrelatable? And boring besides?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Also didn't like that time he yelled at their farmer neighbor just because he was concerned about Jon's wellbeing.

To be fair, Jon's durability seemed to just cut out, and Kathy's granddad was suggesting taking Clark's half alien trans-dimensional son to an unassuming human doctor. That's basically the context. Clark wasn't worried about the minor concussion, nor was he unappreciative of Kathy's granddad's help, but instead he was worried about the far more serious implications regarding Jon's apparent power fluctuations.

But it's not like the story or the characters in it let Clark get away with the outburst. Lois immediately gets on him, and then in issue 7 Clark makes a full and humble apology. But his reaction at the time is totally understandable. It's just that Kathy's granddad isn't allowed the information to make him keenly aware of what Jon getting a concussion from falling from a tree REALLY indicates. Even Lois doesn't have that first hand knowledge, so it's understandable why Clark is the most heated of all in the moment.

In the end I can't completely come down on Clark's reaction because it's nothing close to him just being an "overprotective dick." For all he knew at the time, Jon could have been seriously ill on a genetic level. But yes, Clark's actual way of handling the situation with Kathy's granddad was poor and made with obvious haste. That's an understandable flaw to me. Regardless of what people might imply, Clark has always been fundamentally human when you get down to the meat and potatoes of it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-16-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Technically, he didn't yell. More like abrupt and icily polite after the neighbor kinda kept insisting on bringing Jon to the doctor. And yep, pretty much what @Superlad93 said.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

I like this Superdad. it's a welcome change and Jon is a delightful character. Superman still feels super to me, his adventures still feel larger than life and I don't see where you're getting the punching for work vibe.