Thread: Joe Kubert

All-New Member

Default Joe Kubert

Me think maybe Joe Kubert was the worst artist of all time. Way too little crosshatching, never enough dimension or depth. Nobody ever had their own unique personality

Me really can't explain how much me hate Joe Kubert. He was an untrue genius. Everybody doesn't live in his shadow, that's for sure!

All-New Member

Totally understand why there is a Kubert omnibus for me not to purchase on the the last day of release. Especially since OOP Sgt Rock Showcase Presents are so cheap

Going through Yossel. Great stuff.
    BB

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I discovered Kubert one month in 1976 by his renderings of both Sgt. Rock and Tarzan. While not my favorite artist, he's real close.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

All-New Member Judge-Sergeant-Marron's Avatar

So, anyone know what happened to this?;
    http://www.amazon.com/Kubert-Covers-.../dp/1401224148

Is there any way to get onto DC about the status of this? It was solicited for release sometime last year but got pulled, yet again. I just want my damn coffee table book of Kubert manliness!

image.jpg

Sgt Kubert

Amazing Member

'Sfunny how, in general, Kubert's superhero work was (IMO) awful, and yet, his work on Hawkman was definitive! As was his work on Sgt. Rock (and all the other war books he did). He absolutely nailed it with his western; Firehair. And of course, his extraordinary work on Tarzan should be mandatory reading for anyone that reads comics.

His genre characters were great and yes his Hawkman was definitive.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Besides being just all-round awesome, the thing I loved most about his work was that he was evolving and developing it the whole time.
    Never content to rest on his laurels, he could have continued to churn out the same stuff for decades, but he never stopped growing as an artist.

Also, I wish he'd done interiors for Jonah Hex, just once.
    Because damn.
    I would have lost my mind.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Amazing Member

You know, he was the first artist to do covers on the kamandi book, after issue 33.Think that if he could have found the time to do the insides after issue 40,they would have been something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazro View Post
    'Sfunny how, in general, Kubert's superhero work was (IMO) awful, and yet, his work on Hawkman was definitive! As was his work on Sgt. Rock (and all the other war books he did). He absolutely nailed it with his western; Firehair. And of course, his extraordinary work on Tarzan should be mandatory reading for anyone that reads comics.
    I don't think he ever had much interest in them. Hawkman is very transitional, in terms of his style. Kubert got sketchier, as time went on, as Greg Burgas covered in his Year of the Artist column. Hawkman works better because the character itself is borrowed from Flash Gordon, and Raymond was one of Kubert's influences. Kubert really excelled at capturing the humanity of his characters, something for which superhero stories rarely allowed.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Going through Yossel. Great stuff.
    Yossel is so good. That whole range of books he did for DC in his last years is pure gold. And, I love that Presents was a showcase for older, often passed-over talent.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

Respect any opinion but only few artists are cohesive enough to keep a reconocible style at first sight. Only few come to my mind: Jim Aparo, Carmine Infantino, Ramona Fradon and one of those is Joe Kubert.

For me, Tarzan was the apex of Kubert's work. Those things were just gorgeous pieces of mood and atmosphere. You could almost smell the jungle.

For his later stuff, his little scene Abraham Stone is a good one to hunt down. It's a period piece and Kubert goes to town with the detail.