Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brown

Default If Norman Osborn is back, then why can't Marvel bring back Gwen Stacy?

The death of Gwen Stacy is, to me, the greatest tragedy in comics. During the clone conspiracy, I was really expecting Gwen to be "resurrected" permanently. However, we know what happened. I noticed these statements by Spider-man in Clone Conspiracy 5: "Villains get to come back." And, about Gwen: "You deserved better than this, Gwen Stacy. Better than me."

Good people deserve to come back much more than bad people. Gwen was a good person. To me, it does not make sense to "tease us" since the 1st clone saga about Gwen Stacy being revived and then get rid of her. It's like repeating the tragedy over and over again. Peter was going to admit he felt Gwen was real before she died. You can tell they both desired to rekindle the love they had toward each other.

I hope when and if they do something like this again, that Gwen is permanently revived. This has already been done three times (3 clone sagas).

To answer the question, because actually was an interesting characther to brought back

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    To answer the question, because actually was an interesting characther to brought back
    Touché friend touché.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Didn't they just brought her back in CC?

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Yeah, but it appears for the most part that she sacrificed herself.

Plus, to the OP, you want a case where Gwen lived? That would be House of M or Spider-Gwen, but it was Peter who ended up on the bad end in both cases.

As for Gwen Stacy, Marvel ought to make up their mind about her. No really. Same redundant clone story gets old and stale, IMO. FWIW, I don't even prefer her much as a character. But then, the realization in my head is that they are going to repeat the clone saga again, even with all that has happened in Clone Conspiracy.

As for a character where it was questionable to bring him back, I would argue that bringing back Harry was more rediculous than bringing back Norman, but that is just me.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 02-16-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Too bad they changed pretty much everything about the character when they did bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    No, it was just another Clone.

I don't think it's a good idea to bring Gwen back while Norman is around.
    She might end up getting tossed off a bridge again.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    No, it was just another Clone.
    That what i first thought but the story referred the process as a re-animation. All previous clones acted like Gwen because they were programmed like that. This appeared to act like the geniune Gwen.
    Should we call her a clone in the flesh but with the original soul inside?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    The death of Gwen Stacy is, to me, the greatest tragedy in comics. During the clone conspiracy, I was really expecting Gwen to be "resurrected" permanently. However, we know what happened. I noticed these statements by Spider-man in Clone Conspiracy 5: "Villains get to come back." And, about Gwen: "You deserved better than this, Gwen Stacy. Better than me."

Good people deserve to come back much more than bad people. Gwen was a good person. To me, it does not make sense to "tease us" since the 1st clone saga about Gwen Stacy being revived and then get rid of her. It's like repeating the tragedy over and over again. Peter was going to admit he felt Gwen was real before she died. You can tell they both desired to rekindle the love they had toward each other.

I hope when and if they do something like this again, that Gwen is permanently revived. This has already been done three times (3 clone sagas).
    Your very first words are the answer to your question.
    Last edited by Carabas; 02-17-2017 at 04:40 AM.

FOOM

I agree with the OP

Fantastic Member

Think the only way they could do it is if real Gwen never died, instead disappearing after a clone was "killed" in her place and living away from New York.

Could be to get away from Peter/ goblin /Spider-Man drama, could be the twins, could be her dads death .. She could be in a stasis chamber and escaped or get discovered by police and woken up... Think there are enough in the panels shown to make a case... If they wanted to

But think thats the only way you could do it as a story that doesn't have readers rolling their eyes or turn into some epic over wrought cross over shit show... It would have to be a street level book , ideally one that streamlines some of the more jagged edges.

I thought they should have done a story like this to clean up the book a bit vs OMD ... As you are what .. 6 or 700 issues past it by now?

Could be interesting ... The media would hound her ... The girl that lived lol
    Last edited by Vixx; 02-17-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    Think the only way they could do it is if real Gwen never died, instead disappearing after a clone was "killed" in her place and living away from New York.

Could be to get away from Peter/ goblin /Spider-Man drama, could be the twins, could be her dads death .. She could be in a stasis chamber and escaped or get discovered by police and woken up... Think there are enough in the panels shown to make a case... If they wanted to

But think thats the only way you could do it as a story that doesn't have readers rolling their eyes or turn into some epic over wrought cross over shit show... It would have to be a street level book , ideally one that streamlines some of the more jagged edges.

I thought they should have done a story like this to clean up the book a bit vs OMD ... As you are what .. 6 or 700 issues past it by now?

Could be interesting ... The media would hound her ... The girl that lived lol
    Or just do something where the real one was stuck in another universe the whole time, and comes back to the 616 wondering WTF has happened.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post

Okay so there are a few things to unpack there.

Firstly i absolutely didn't get the sense that Peter wanted to rekindle anything and even if he did that'd be creepy. At best Peter is at least 29 years old and Gwen is 20 biologically. Really when you do the math peter is over 30 and realistically should have moved on from the first girl he was in love with when he was a kid 10+ years ago and knew her for maybe a year and a half tops. It isn't a sweet tragic romance for Peter to still be so in love with Gwen he'd honestly consder restarting anything, it just makes him unhealthy. So even if the intention was that he wanted to rekindle something, that intention is at odds with a realistical healthy portrayal of the character.

It would also be at odds for Peter's character since he moved on from Gwen during the FIRST Clone Saga in 1975!

Third, I find it difficult to believe Gwen would be all that interested given peter's lying to her and his role in her death. Maybe they could be friends but romance is very questionable.

Now to address the issue of good people coming back vs bad people coming back.

Yeah int he real world bad people deserve to remain dead and good people don't deserve to die.

But there is a creative point of view to be considered.

Norman Osborn even in the Silver Age was a good character and a great villain. Supporting characters are important and should be good but making a good or great supporting character isn't half as difficult as making a great villain for the superhero in your superhero story. Good villains are worth their weight in gold and so you cannot afford to sacrifice them too lightly, vs supporting characters who can usually be more easily replaced (not always though).

Gwen's role as a supporting character was to be a love interest to peter. And it was a role she was incredibly ill suited for. She was never a good love interest and was only a decent character when Ditko was on the series, even then though she was a good character who was not suited to be Spider-Man's romantic match.

Compare and contrast her to her replacements in the form of Mary jane or Black Cat. They were egregiously better characters and love interests.

But no villain brought in to replace Norman could ever quite do it. Harry and Hobgoblin were awesome but Hobgoblin was botched during the time Norman came back and even then lacked the personal connection to Peter. Harry was also dead and had died in a brilliant story (one better frankly than the death of Gwen Stacy arc) and whilst things were very personal between him and Peter his role in that regard as a villain was compromized by virtue of him having a platonic love for Peter as his friend and an unwillingness to harm Peter's loved ones. Norman though never had such qualms and Gwen and Harry's deaths were a potent source of enmity between him and Peter. Norman could be villainous without restraint and raise the stakes in the story whilst Harry could not, hence his run as the Goblin was blindingly brilliant yet brief.

As for repeating the tragedy over and over again for Peter I agree...and it is why reviving Gwen in this was asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post

Gwen's role as a supporting character was to be a love interest to peter. And it was a role she was incredibly ill suited for. She was never a good love interest and was only a decent character when Ditko was on the series, even then though she was a good character who was not suited to be Spider-Man's romantic match.
    I'm going to have to disagree with this statement in my opinion. MJ was ill suited as well. Let's look at her. When we meet her she does have that memorable line and great first appearance reveal but that doesn't prove that she isn't ill suited.
    A stand out part for me to why she wasn't the best during that time was: a villain (rhino I think) is attacking in the City and it's a dangerous scene... let's go there as that is cool! That's a great way of ill responsibility and a great way to die. Usually a person would stay away from danger instead of placing herself in it. Now later in the series it would be altered to appear that MJ was helping Peter all along (a good revision) but only taking information from MJ's first appearance to Gwen's death MJ wasn't acting smart.
    Then she played around with the boys and was a party girl and danced all the time (which her extroverted personality help her gain fans but doesn't showcase why she would be any better then Gwen for Peter). Meanwhile Gwen and Peter was shown to have similar interests in the field of science.

Now that where positive things end for me for either one as sadly due to the culture and time period love interests didn't get much else in developments. Both were damsels in distress a couple of times. The artist or writer due to people liking MJ's party girl extrovert attitude then tried to make Gwen look more like MJ (a mistake I feel trying to copy vs making something fresh and special and later on in the Multiverse MJs and Gwens were given was to contrasted and play off of each other better).

But ultimately neither one grew much or at all during that time area.

MJ became a suit love interest and more importantly a much more developed character due to developments giving to her after Gwen's death helping that to be the catalyst to start MJ's character development. But a writer has to do/had to do that first. Gwen also while "ill suited" could in time by good writers been able to evolve possible into a good love interest or better yet into a superior character than her past self and develop in ways from great writing.

Now currently MJ is ill suited once agian due to her attitude towards Peter and how much she seems to quickly blame him (which I find annoying). But hopefully with devopments giving and a character journey of some form she can rise agian. If Gwen ever came back she might then also have then possibilites then allowed to happen if writtters can perform them with above and beyond writing.

But I do agree the age factor might have to be addess (technically both are adults even with the age difference but still).