Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If Gwen Had Come Back in One More Day

Joe Quesada and JMS were interested in using One More Day to bring back Gwen, but the rest of the people at Marvel weren't very receptive to it.

What if things had gone differently? If they had stuck to their guns on this, how would that have changed the comics? Do you think Brand New Day would have been less successful? More successful? The same?

Would this have stayed part of the book, or would it have been reversed again?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think Marvel would realize, "People don't care about Gwen Stacy." A character that died over 40 years ago is not relevant today. The impact of her death is important, but the character herself is not important. I suspect it would have fizzled pretty quickly.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Given the comments that the people who took over with BND didn't want Gwen back, I think it would have caused a lot of problems if Quesda had stuck to his guns on resurrecting Gwen.

In this scenario, would the folks who resisted Gwen coming back be excited by the possibility of her return? Or would they have relented because it was what their boss wanted and they were unhappy about the situation?

As far as Brand New Day is concerned, if they had brought Gwen back I assume she probably would have filled the same role Carlie did at the time.

Whether she would've fared better then Carlie did or stayed relevant in the books is hard to gauge. Though given Harry hasn't been that relevant since the beginning of Big Time, Kraven hasn't done anything of note since his return (outside of bothering Kaine), I have my doubts bringing back Gwen would have given her a substantial role in the long-term.

I can only imagine what Slott would have done with her...

Fantastic Member

OMD is a shit concept, so bringing back one more charector wouldn't help - especially if sins wasn't retconned.

It would simply change the nerd rage to fix your stupid fucking story (but keep Gwen)

Gwen is an empty vessel for the most part - existing outside the universe sense 122 - so no one cares is moot. In cabbie hands she could be something special - but I don't think she's a viable love interest after 30+ years of clone jibber jabber and MJ.

Can't say for sure.

They might've tried to re-instate her as Peter's girlfriend (probably a lot of internet wars over that, I bet), which raises the interesting question if they would've dared break them up again.

I honestly can't see how bringing Gwen back would've worked; I think she's more liked for what she represents than the character herself and the former works when she's dead.

Personally, because of the material I was introduced to Spider-Man through, the idea of Gwen being Peter's girlfriend just seems wrong. It's also something that I don't want to see done period*, although since I can appreciate the "Night Gwen Stacy" being used as backstory, I think that has more to do with me not wanting to read or see stories about it.

*Okay, I didn't mind it in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, but even then the creators have stated that that wasn't the endgame.

Unless we get more info such as the possible storylines and developments the writer might of done with her it is a total unknown.

Gwen could be developed and molded into a fantastic character and work well with not just Peter but also the cast and have fantastic creative storylines
    or total bomb on all ends.

We just don't know but can only speculate.
    I'm a Gwen fan due to how i love majority of Gwens in the Multiverse but the 616 version of Gwen Stacy is for me personality one of the weaker versions of Gwen in terms of development. If she came back that could be handled and developed into a stronger character using great storylines maybe or not.

Overall we can only guess and imagine what could've been. Good or bad either one could of been possible.

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

It would make it even worse, Gwen shouldn't be shoehorned in like that. If that was marvel's original plan I'm glad they went with what we got instead.(Which is a sentence I thought I'd never say)

Her death was 1 of the main reasons Spidey was so adamant on keeping his secret ID. I'm fine with Spider-Gwen, clone Gwen's, but the real Gwen is dead, it's a sad lesson that Peter had to learn
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Can't say for sure.

They might've tried to re-instate her as Peter's girlfriend (probably a lot of internet wars over that, I bet), which raises the interesting question if they would've dared break them up again.

I honestly can't see how bringing Gwen back would've worked; I think she's more liked for what she represents than the character herself and the former works when she's dead.

Personally, because of the material I was introduced to Spider-Man through, the idea of Gwen being Peter's girlfriend just seems wrong. It's also something that I don't want to see done period*, although since I can appreciate the "Night Gwen Stacy" being used as backstory, I think that has more to do with me not wanting to read or see stories about it.

*Okay, I didn't mind it in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, but even then the creators have stated that that wasn't the endgame.
    So I guess you weren't crazy about the post-Ultimatum status quo where Peter and Gwen were dating?

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I think Marvel would realize, "People don't care about Gwen Stacy." A character that died over 40 years ago is not relevant today. The impact of her death is important, but the character herself is not important. I suspect it would have fizzled pretty quickly.
    Guess I’m not a person then cause I care about Gwen Stacy thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as Brand New Day is concerned, if they had brought Gwen back I assume she probably would have filled the same role Carlie did at the time.

Whether she would've fared better then Carlie did or stayed relevant in the books is hard to gauge. Though given Harry hasn't been that relevant since the beginning of Big Time, Kraven hasn't done anything of note since his return (outside of bothering Kaine), I have my doubts bringing back Gwen would have given her a substantial role in the long
    Considering what they did with Mary Jane I shuddered to think.

So I guess you weren't crazy about the post
    Tbh I don’t think they really tried with Ultimate Gwen and Ultimate Peter plus 616Gwen didn’t know about Peter’s identity which I think is an important factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpider View Post
    It would make it even worse, Gwen shouldn't be shoehorned in like that. If that was marvel's original plan I'm glad they went with what we got instead.(Which is a sentence I thought I'd never say)

Her death was 1 of the main reasons Spidey was so adamant on keeping his secret ID. I'm fine with Spider
    Where there is a will there is a way, he could still have learned it and still had Gwen come back. Personally I think that her death was stupid and I have explained many times my reasons for doing so.

Personally I think it would have been a chance to develop her that Conway didn't want to do however I don't think they would have had them dating because the reason for OMD was to move away from that that's what I think anyway.
    Truth is the best policy

So I guess you weren't crazy about the post-Ultimatum status quo where Peter and Gwen were dating?
    Nope. There were some interesting parts, but I did find that era to be the weak part of the series for multiple reasons. Peter (brief) dating Gwen wasn't something I really liked in and of itself, but I don't think it worked very well in the series, given what came before. It does raise of interesting questions about the characters in previous issues, though, which I do find interesting.

Incredible Member

Gwen "came back" during the 1970's clone saga and it ended wit her more than alive and well and leaving. No one used her again until that awful Spectacular Spider-Man annual where she turns out to be "Joyce Delaney". Either way, she wasn't used at all between the clone saga end and that annual - which was about 13 years. She could have been made useful during that time and made to be something more than just a clone or just another memorable Spider-Man mythos death. She is irrelevant other than her death.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Joe Quesada and JMS were interested in using One More Day to bring back Gwen, but the rest of the people at Marvel weren't very receptive to it...
    Of course they were. If that had been done fans would, in time, have clamored for Gwen and Peter to get engaged and then married, in large part because of the movies that were current around that time. Which would, in turn, have flown in the face of the mandate against meaningful romantic relationships for Peter. If they stuck to their guns the only viable option would have then been for Gwen to undergo some character assassination, like Felicia and MJ have.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-27-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Considering that this would have been the version of Gwen that had twins with Norman Osborn, it probably would have been a disaster. Okay, it already was a disaster. More of a disaster then.

In that scenario, Sins Past would have no longer happened. But I think it would have been a brief return. She'd somehow die again.

I could see her taking the place of Michelle in the BND era.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.