Default I have $20 earmarked for WW book(s)

With extra for tax and/or shipping.

I have already purchased and read Wonder Woman - Earth One.

Is there anything else I should consider buying in terms of Wonder Woman books (tpbs, hardcover, actual books, etc) instead of The Legend of Wonder Woman 270 pg hardcover?

Or would the Rebirth volume 1 tpb and something else be a better use of the disposable income toward WW?

Maybe the Wonder Woman Encyclopedia?

Please advise, WW fans, on the best use of $20.00 USD to spend on Wonder Woman books.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I'd definitely recommend the Rebirth Volume 1 TPB. This re-imagining of Diana is hitting ALL the right notes with me.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

I would say Azzarello volume One. If you're interested in the Encyclopedia, the original, by Michael Fleisher, which was recently re-released, is more entertaining than the more recent one by Jimenez.
    Last edited by SeanT; 02-16-2017 at 12:16 PM.

I'd wait til March for the Year One TPB, if possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I'd wait til March for the Year One TPB, if possible!
    Wait, Amazon Prime lists the release date as being in May, not March, of this year. Where are you getting March for volume 2?

Also, kinda surprised LOWW is not the slam-dunk no doubt about it favorite here, as 270 pages for 20 bucks is by far the best deal dollar-per-page. Did ppl just not like the story that much?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Wait, Amazon Prime lists the release date as being in May, not March, of this year. Where are you getting March for volume 2?

Also, kinda surprised LOWW is not the slam-dunk no doubt about it favorite here, as 270 pages for 20 bucks is by far the best deal dollar-per-page. Did ppl just not like the story that much?
    I think people are a bit jaded since DC cancelled the second volume. TLOWW is fantastic, though.

Oh, I'm sorry, I'm always confused by those two.

Most folks on this board seemed to love LoWW. You specifically asked for recommendations other than that, so....
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Most folks on this board seemed to love LoWW. You specifically asked for recommendations other than that, so....
    My main concern with buying LOWW versus some other WW book is this: am I just getting another alternate WW origin story like I did when I bought EARTH ONE?

Because I found E1 pretty underwhelming, despite the great art.

Is LOWW all set-up for a volume 2 that will never happen? Or is there enough of grown Diana in her costume doing superhero thangs to feel like a more complete story?

If so, great, I'll buy. If not, then I can hold off till May and buy REBIRTH volume 1 & 2 together. Or vol 1 and something else right now ...

My main concern with buying LOWW versus some other WW book is this: am I just getting another alternate WW origin story like I did when I bought EARTH ONE?

Is LOWW all set-up for a volume 2 that will never happen? Or is there enough of grown Diana in her costume doing superhero thangs to feel like a more complete story?

If so, great, I'll buy. If not, then I can hold off till May and buy REBIRTH volume 1 & 2 together. Or vol 1 and something else right now ...

Yes, you are getting another alternate origin--but you're getting a lot more than just that. It's a very rich retelling. I didn't love every aspect of it, but I highly recommend it. The book adds a lot of details to the origin without, IMO, deviating from the spirit of Marston's work. Some didn't like Diana's personality--too somber, too introverted. My take was that Diana had a lot of adjusting to do and would likely be her more outgoing self in future stories.

Who can say if volume 2 will never happen? Right now DC has said it's off the table. Volume one definitely is set up to continue, but it doesn't exactly end with a cliffhanger, either.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Hm. It DEFINITELY reads like an origin story. But it's the more well developed we've had in ages. Everything (Amazons' history, Diana and her mother, Themyscira, the Holliday girls, costume, Steve, patriarchy, reality shock)... everything is covered. There is even a complete adventure, something that didn't happen in E1. Imagine this as a great WW solo film, with a lot of character development so you can understand the hero + the mandatory action-packed finale.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I would recommend - most highly - the reprintings of Rucka's first run on Wonder Woman. The first volume is already out, the second coming out in summer. It's a truly excellent run.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Hm. It DEFINITELY reads like an origin story. But it's the more well developed we've had in ages. Everything (Amazons' history, Diana and her mother, Themyscira, the Holliday girls, costume, Steve, patriarchy, reality shock)... everything is covered. There is even a complete adventure, something that didn't happen in E1. Imagine this as a great WW solo film, with a lot of character development so you can understand the hero + the mandatory action-packed finale.
    Now that's how you sell it! Sounds good enough for me. Already purchased it on Amazon. Should be at my doorstep in the next 48 hours.

Looking forward to reading this hardcover!