Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

This list is nonsense a few major marvel characters (not property rank) fix in with new characters marvel want to be/will be major marvel characters.. Leaving out less popular character who are just a smart/smarter due to marvel not wanting to push em for whatever reasons..

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    She's not. But, of course, being a competent female in a lead role, and one who doesn't rely on any men around her, there was never a question she would be hit with that charge. Because female characters always have to deal with accusations of being Mary Sues, unless they're shown as colossal screw-ups who can't get their shit together. Meanwhile, male characters actually can be the best at everything, but never get that Mary Sue charge.

Can we just, like, end the entire Mary Sue thing? Just kill the whole concept with fire? Seriously, can we, as consumers of fiction, please all agree to stop saying characters are Mary Sues? Setting aside the fact that the term has drifted immensely from its original usage, it's just a really stupid, condescending idea. Like, the original Mary Sue was a joke, parodying certain types of fanfic characters. But fanfic is written mostly by young people - especially young women - who are just learning how to write. And mocking them is a really goddamn shitty thing to do. And when it comes to mainstream fiction, "Mary Sue" really just means "female character I don't like," rendering it especially meaningless.

Moon Girl's not a Mary Sue, and Mary Sue is a term that needs to die.
    If MG is a mary sue, that means they are calling Reed a Gary Stu by default right? Since he was the #1 person before?

Mary Sue gets thrown out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ay too much
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Though Marvel do seem to be pushing Moon Girl as the most intelligent, it's going to hard to make people believers if all her intelligence feats are self contained in her own book. Having other characters like Riri Williams and the X-Men verified it by having them appear as guest stars in her book won't be enough to convince people.

Probably needs her to join the Avengers or take a leading role in a major event series with multiple tie ins across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Mary Sue gets thrown out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ay too much
    It really, really does. People often forget that the original definition isn't just about, "Annoying character who is good at everything." There's traditionally also an element of wish-fulfillment and author self-insertion.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Btw what happened to her predecessor, Moon Boy? Is he dead and how intelligent was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Though Marvel do seem to be pushing Moon Girl as the most intelligent, it's going to hard to make people believers if all her intelligence feats are self contained in her own book. Having other characters like Riri Williams and the X-Men verified it by having them appear as guest stars in her book won't be enough to convince people.

Probably needs her to join the Avengers or take a leading role in a major event series with multiple tie ins across the board.
    Which won't happen, obviously... given that she's still a child. (Unless of course there's some time travel hijinks or what have you.) This is why not having any actual adult women on this list is kind of a problem. (Obviously opinions will vary on this - but I really don't like seeing minors involved with the Avengers, even teens.)

I really wish that both Reed and Sue had been geniuses (or, at least, brilliant in Sue's case), when introduced.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Which won't happen, obviously... given that she's still a child. (Unless of course there's some time travel hijinks or what have you.) This is why not having any actual adult women on this list is kind of a problem. (Obviously opinions will vary on this - but I really don't like seeing minors involved with the Avengers, even teens.)
    It just seems kinda creepy to have a bunch of males in their thirties and forties(maybe one 50 y/o when it comes to Hank Pym) with one teen girl and two girls under ten. Seems like some kind of Manga list IMO in that quite a few manga likes to be stories centred around teenage girls. I'm sure in a few years the list will include Nadia the new Wasp, maybe after the Antman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It just seems kinda creepy to have a bunch of males in their thirties and forties(maybe one 50 y/o when it comes to Hank Pym) with one teen girl and two girls under ten. Seems like some kind of Manga list IMO in that quite a few manga likes to be stories centred around teenage girls. I'm sure in a few years the list will include Nadia the new Wasp, maybe after the Antman movie.
    If this was an invitation list a Friday night mixer I'd agree it's kinda creepy. But it's purely a listing of smart characters, so age and gender aren't really an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    They posted the video on Facebook.

10. Black Panther
    9. Amadeus Cho
    8. Hank McCoy
    7. Riri Williams
    6. Hank Pym
    5. Valeria Richards
    4. Bruce Banner
    3. Tony Stark
    2. Reed Richards
    1. Moon Girl

Thoughts?
    So two brand-new characters they're trying to push make the top ten, one of them getting place #1?

Knock me down with a feather.

Trite nonsense, as is the way with Disney's Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I really wish that both Reed and Sue had been geniuses (or, at least, brilliant in Sue's case), when introduced.
    Maybe not both geniuses, but definitely agree with at least her being incredibly intelligent. One of the few retcons I would be completely ok with happening.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

a black girl at the top of list, I will take that.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    a black girl at the top of list, I will take that.
    When you consider most people's lists probably wouldn't have a girl in it at all if you'don't asked this question a decade ago, that's a brutally kinda neat. Times change I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    This right here, you have women scientists celebrated in a movie like Hidden Figures that helped the US get in space among so many women scientist that need to be celebrated as well yet we do not have one in a fictional universe. Marvel do better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    This right here, you have women scientists celebrated in a movie like Hidden Figures that helped the US get in space among so many women scientist that need to be celebrated as well yet we do not have one in a fictional universe. Marvel do better.
    If are you talking about marvel there are women scientist.
    Blue marvel's daughter adrienne brashear is a scientist.
    Barbara morse(mockingbird) is a scientist.
    Kavita rao and moira mactaggert from the x-men are too.
    Here is a list of scientist in marvel.
    Some are women.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Science
    and
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Categor..._by_Occupation
    Last edited by mace11; 02-18-2017 at 03:52 PM.