Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Superman Comic "Runs" Do You Think I'd Like? Criteria In the Thread.

Hey, having mostly focused on New52 Superman (My favorite Superman) for the bulk of my collection, but with a Rebirth Superman (SuperDad) now that I'm not that into being the only Superman in print for the last 8-9 months, I've been pretty bummed. Stopped buying Superman comics at several junctures, picked it back up, etc.. I'm on board to see what happens with Reborn, but I can't say I'm that thrilled.

So, I thought to myself, though, really, with so many years of Superman history out there, there are probably runs of issues that I would really like that I just don't know to buy that I would love from years past! I've got some stuff from before the New52, but it's a fairly random assortment, so there is a lot out there I probably don't have.

An example of a "run" would like Actions Comics 607-635 (I made up those numbers randomly) if they were mostly not crossing over with the other titles and I could actually just read through those in order and follow a story, or something like "Get Superman, Man of Steel, and Adventures of Superman from the year 1989 and 1990 (I picked those years randomly). They are one long crossover those years.". I am not just looking for like a story arc, I am looking for like a year's worth of comics to slowly work through that are all in a row, as if I'm living that year and buying them as they come out, following along (one title or several titles).

I do Comixology, so they'd have to be on there for me to buy them, and I try to buy individual issues instead of graphic novels or collections these days (Just personal preference). Just recommend what sounds like a good fit, though, and I can figure out whether it's in the format I want or not (Plus, some people might read the thread and want them in other formats anyway). I'm just saying this so if people know something isn't on there, they don't waste their time trying to remember issue numbers and stuff that I won't be able to follow up on.

Okay, so here are a few brief descriptions of what I think I'd like:
    :

1. A run that has Superman basically acting like New52 Superman. Obviously, don't recommend the actual New52 Superman runs to me, I already have those. But I mean any runs where Post-Crisis Superman or some other Superman basically acts like my favorite Superman with stories in that vein.

OR

2. A run that is basically classic Superman as I think of him. That means he's Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet. He has a crush on Lois Lane, but she only sees Clark as a friend or is even adversarial, but Lois loves Superman. Lots of Perry White and Jim Olson. Some real investigative journalism or hanging out with the co-workers at the office and in Metropolis at Big Belly Burger and stuff. Clark and Jimmy being good friends and hanging out is cool. Perry chewing cigars and handing out assignments. Superman soars of Metropolis. A real sense that you are seeing people's lives with the Daily Planet cast, and involving Clark Kent reporter, and it isn't always Superman off somewhere else.

OR

3. A run where Superman is almost R-Rated and the comics with complex adult themes. This could range from a lot of violence to sex and love to philosophy and humankind's place in the universe. So, you can take that a bunch of ways. It could be him punching his way through a rogue's gallery and there being a lot of grisly stuff, or it could be witty banter, or whatever. Just stuff that would seem like it is aimed at adults- either depicting things not suitable for children, or just being over their heads because it's a thinking-man's comic.

OR

4. A run where Superman is dealing with parallel universes (I liked the TV show Sliders a kid). And, yes, I did read the recent trilogy of Superman issues with all the alternate Supermen. I've also read Red Son, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Infinite Crisis.

OR

5. Bernie Sanders style liberal progressive Superman.

Things I'd like to avoid:

1. Superheroes and main characters under the age of 18 who turn up a lot.
    2. Superman as a conservative icon who hates sex, drugs, and rock and roll.
    3. Stuff where I need to read a bunch of titles that have very little to do with Superman in order to follow. It's okay if it crosses over with, or even *is*, like Batman-Superman (or Superman-Batman, I already have all the issues of Batman-Superman, which is the new52 one), Trinity (Already have the Rebirth run, though), or Justice League; but I don't want there to be a lot of stuff where I have to read like Superboy, Supergirl, Teen Titans, and other stuff I don't like just to keep up with the main Superman stories that thread through the issues I'm reading.

Anyone know some extended runs that mostly fit any of the five descriptions of things I'd like to read and avoids the three things I wanted to avoid? Title names and issue numbers are good.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-17-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

If you don't mind dated stuff, you can read the Golden Age "champion of the oppressed" Superman: https://www.comixology.com/Superman-...9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

For a darker or more mature take on Superman, try For Tomorrow, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel and Kingdom Come.

Just avoid this one and you'll be fine: https://www.comixology.com/Superman-...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-18-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I guess it's helpful that your guidelines are rigid, but in that case you'd have to tell us what pre crisis stories you've read, since you're basically aiming for that.

If the marriage to Lois doesn't bother you much, I'd say Adventures of Superman 612-623 with regards to consecutive issues with no crossovers at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    If the marriage to Lois doesn't bother you much, I'd say Adventures of Superman 612-623 with regards to consecutive issues with no crossovers at all.
    This is Joe Casey's run, where he writes Superman as a pacifist. I also recommend it.

Get issue 610 too, as that's really the start of Casey taking Superman in that direction. Unfortunately, issue 611 is part of an awful crossover and wasn't written by Casey, so avoid that.

Issue 610 has Superman going undercover to do some investigative journalism.

Maybe the cover to issue 612 will get you to give the run a chance.

Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 02-18-2017 at 06:39 AM.

BANNED

The crossover I mentioned is called 'Lost Hearts' and it's one of the worst things I've ever read as part of the Superman books, but it does fit some of the criteria for what you want as listed as part of number 3.

It isn't complex or nuanced, it's juvenile and demeaning but I guess it is "adult".

Astonishing Member

https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Gold.../dp/1401241891

Start at the source. It should fit in with your first two criteria at least. A more rugged and bold iteration of the Man of Steel and given that it's by his CREATOR I'm going to say this is where his proper characterization should be though some would call it a not fully formed version of the character. Art's going to be different than what you're use to however even though I like it, not everyone can tolerate older art. There's a sort of energy to Superman in these stories that slowly leaves the character as time goes forward.
    Last edited by The World; 02-18-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Have you read American Alien by Landis? I'd try that. Not quite the social crusader you're after but its not too far off. Also Birthright by Waid. The old Golden Age collections are definitely what you want, and sadly the best, purest form of what you're looking for. Watch the Fleschier cartoons.

There's not a ton of social crusader, sticking it to the man type Superman stories out there. That era didn't last long, and as America got closer to entering WWII, Superman stopped chasing down corrupt politicians and started hunting down axis spies and weapons dealers instead. And he never really returned to his social crusader roots after that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Superman Adventures set-up is pretty much exactly based on OP's classic Superman set-up.

Available at a bargain price from comixology, consistently well written light hearted adventure stories. In particular, the Mark Millar issues are very well written...if these had been issued with a different style of artwork in Action or Superman main sequences, it would probably be celebrated as one of the best runs.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    If you don't mind dated stuff, you can read the Golden Age "champion of the oppressed" Superman: https://www.comixology.com/Superman-...9pdGVtU2xpZGVy
    Thank you.. Champion of the Oppressed is Superman meaning for me.. For that I admire the Kingdoom Come Superman, before his return the world was oppressed for the metahumans and Magog.

That cover.. Is like see Justice League Frontier Again..

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    This is Joe Casey's run, where he writes Superman as a pacifist. I also recommend it.

Get issue 610 too, as that's really the start of Casey taking Superman in that direction. Unfortunately, issue 611 is part of an awful crossover and wasn't written by Casey, so avoid that.

Issue 610 has Superman going undercover to do some investigative journalism.

Maybe the cover to issue 612 will get you to give the run a chance.

WOW. I remember Those hits of batman brave and bold..
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-18-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    2. Superman as a conservative icon who hates sex, drugs, and rock and roll.
    You'll have an easy time avoiding this since it doesn't exist outside of what people think Superman has stood for. Outside of one or two stories in the 50s (maybe), Superman hasn't addressed such "issues."

Thanks!

I added Superman #204 (Which looks like the first issue of the Man of Tomorrow arc) to my wish list (Basically I use it to sort of "bookmark" books I'm going to buy and read later). Also added Lex Luthor: Man of Steel #1.

Adventures of Superman #610, 612, and onward seem to be unavailable on Comixology, so I can't buy them at the moment. Hopefully they become available soon! That sounds interesting, and the cover of 1938 Superman punching out his successor definitely has be intrigued!

Already have Kingdom Come from a while back. Can't remember what I thought about it.

Already read American Alien- liked it a lot.

Is the Superman Adventures referred to in the post #8 of the thread the 1996 version based on the cartoon show?

Looks like Comixology finally "filled in" the first 26 issues of the original Action Comics- so I can get started on that soon! I'd been wanting to do that for a while, but for a long time Comixology only had select early issues and I wanted to read them in order. It looks like I can now get to issue 26 in order, anyway, and hopefully by then they'll have more sequentially- or I'll just stop there and wait for them to be added.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Have you read American Alien by Landis? I'd try that. Not quite the social crusader you're after but its not too far off. Also Birthright by Waid. The old Golden Age collections are definitely what you want, and sadly the best, purest form of what you're looking for. Watch the Fleschier cartoons.

There's not a ton of social crusader, sticking it to the man type Superman stories out there. That era didn't last long, and as America got closer to entering WWII, Superman stopped chasing down corrupt politicians and started hunting down axis spies and weapons dealers instead. And he never really returned to his social crusader roots after that.
    I don't want to launch an argument here, but I will say that I'm continually fascinated by the amount of people who have used the few years of Superman's time as a "social crusader" to do a retcon of who and what the character is. In the same way those stories aren't a valid defense for making Superman a killer, they aren't a valid argument that "Superman was supposed to always be ______________."

As the works of Les Daniels shows (for Superman and The Batman), Siegel and Shuster weren't intent on making any kind of political statement when they created Superman. They wanted to create a character who could do what the common man couldn't in 1938, stand up to gangsters and other criminals, including those in public office. That was the MO of many characters of the era, yet it's a small period in retrospect.

I'm not saying it's invalid at all. I'd love to see more stories of Superman involved in non-standard superhero/sci-fi adventures. JMS had the right idea by dealing with contemporary issues in Grounded, but the execution was pretty awful overall.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Thanks!

Is the Superman Adventures referred to in the post #8 of the thread the 1996 version based on the cartoon show?
    Yes. The first Mark Millar issue is 16, I rate the ones he did as very good indeed, and the rest of the series as good. The Mark Millar issues can be read as an enjoyable stand alone read...there is a consistency throughout the series, and some ongoing developments, but no need to read all the series to fully enjoy the Millar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Yes. The first Mark Millar issue is 16, I rate the ones he did as very good indeed, and the rest of the series as good. The Mark Millar issues can be read as an enjoyable stand alone read...there is a consistency throughout the series, and some ongoing developments, but no need to read all the series to fully enjoy the Millar issues.
    Thanks!

Issue #1 is free on Comixology, so I bought that and will start from there. If I don't like it or the series loses me at some point, I'll think about skipping forward to issue #16 and the Millar stuff. The description for #16 looks interesting- a little reminiscent of the current Rebirth Superman-Clark Kent dynamic, but sort of a role reversal. Sounds like a bit of Twilight Zone like doubt of reality stuff going on there.

Are these just loosely based on the look and the world of the animated show? Or are they actual adaption of specific episodes?

BANNED

Superman #179 from volume 2.

It's a commentary on race in the DC Universe, and media in general. It's really bad, and ends with Superman lecturing a black superhero named Muhammad X about racism.

It's a story that's trying to deal with complex themes, even if does a really bad job of it.

Action Comics #694 & Adventures of Superman #507, and Action Comics #702.

Two stories where Superman battles a white supremacist. Not good stories, but they are "adult", so you may like them. Ron Troupe appears in both stories.