Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Do you believe Superman can kill Lex one day if the Government asked him too?

If for the sake of worldwide national security and future dangers, do you think Superman would do the deed.

Astonishing Member

Superman doesn't do what the government tells him. Much less become a hitman for them.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Clark isn't a government lackey.

He might occasionally agree to investigate something, or otherwise work with the feds, under certain circumstances where Clark and the government's interests happen to align, but he doesnt trust the government very much and sure as hell would never execute someone for them. Especially if they wanted that someone taken out without due process and the right to a fair trial.

Clark might someday kill Lex. If anyone could push him to that point it'd be Luthor. But if that day ever comes, it wont be because some jackass in the White House asked him to, it'll be because Lex crossed a line Clark cannot ignore, and became a clear and present danger to the people of the world.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Clark isn't a government lackey.

He might occasionally agree to investigate something, or otherwise work with the feds, under certain circumstances where Clark and the government's interests happen to align, but he doesnt trust the government very much and sure as hell would never execute someone for them. Especially if they wanted that someone taken out without due process and the right to a fair trial.

Clark might someday kill Lex. If anyone could push him to that point it'd be Luthor. But if that day ever comes, it wont be because some jackass in the White House asked him to, it'll be because Lex crossed a line Clark cannot ignore, and became a clear and present danger to the people of the world.

Given his own violation of the law, Clark is the last person to give somebody crap over not following due process.

Astonishing Member

No he won't. In fact, he would go out of his way to stop anyone else who accepted that contract.

It depends though. The DKR version of the character probably would, then feel bad about it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Given his own violation of the law, Clark is the last person to give somebody crap over not following due process.
    But he still would. Its hypocritical but its what he'd do.

He breaks the law but does so with the purpose of saving lives. That's a very different thing than an execution without a trial.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But he still would. Its hypocritical but its what he'd do.

He breaks the law but does so with the purpose of saving lives. That's a very different thing than an execution without a trial.
    What law does he break? Flying over national boundaries without showing passport?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    What law does he break? Flying over national boundaries without showing passport?
    Vigilantism, assault, trespassing, interference with police business, etc

Astonishing Member

Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Vigilantism, assault, trespassing, interference with police business, etc
    Vigilantism isn't against the law, plenty of people organise themselves to keep an eye over their local patch...whether it is desirable or not depends how it's done.

If as a result of his vigilance, Superman then needs to use force to protect somebody (or trespass to do the same), whether or not he broke the law would depend on how he acted; basically on whether what he did was proportionate.

If he went on to private premises to prevent an elderly lady getting beaten by a thug, no law is broken....assuming he does not use unreasonable force.

By and large, Superman is law abiding, assuming laws in his world are similar to ours.

Astonishing Member

Vigilantism isn't against the law, plenty of people organise themselves to keep an eye over their local patch...whether it is desirable or not depends how it's done.

If as a result of his vigilance, Superman then needs to use force to protect somebody (or trespass to do the same), whether or not he broke the law would depend on how he acted; basically on whether what he did was proportionate.

If he went on to private premises to prevent an elderly lady getting beaten by a thug, no law is broken....assuming he does not use unreasonable force.

By and large, Superman is law abiding, assuming laws in his world are similar to ours.
    The idea that Superman has any particular reverence for the authority figures of Earth or any of the laws drafted by them doesn't sit right with me. Superman is suppose to be the hero of the working class, the very same people who are often taken advantage of and trodden on by the people that influence these laws. I mean with Superman we're talking about someone that punched The Spectre and told him he had no authority over him, if you don't heed the right hand of god why would you care what some law maker says? I don't think he'd go out of his way to break laws but I don't think he'd care about breaking them to do what's right either.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The idea that Superman has any particular reverence for the authority figures of Earth or any of the laws drafted by them doesn't sit right with me. Superman is suppose to be the hero of the working class, the very same people who are often taken advantage of and trodden on by the people that influence these laws. I mean with Superman we're talking about someone that punched The Spectre and told him he had no authority over him, if you don't heed the right hand of god why would you care what some law maker says? I don't think he'd go out of his way to break laws but I don't think he'd care about breaking them to do what's right either.
    I think his natural politeness and humility would make him follow the law as closely as he could, as long as he could do that WITHOUT significant harm coming to others.

Would he step aside while a ruthless totalitarian state victimised innocents using legal means? Of course not.

But equally I can see him obeying laws (e.g. a total ban on alcohol) that he might personally disagree with.

He does way more than keep an eye on his local patch

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Funny thing about this "hero of the working class" stuff is, I sure as hell don't remember him asking any of the working class their opinions on that matter. Trump has described himself as such and his habit of flipping the bird at the law and bullying anyone who disagrees with him is behaviour not unlike a superhero

No, Superman isn't a goverment lackey,at best in main continuity he has a polite relation with then, but not to the point when he has to follow orders.