Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Help me decide: Superman: The Man of Steel Vol 1 or Superman: Birthright?

I know this most likely will get merged with daBronzeBomma's "30 years later, thoughts on John Byrne's THE MAN OF STEEL miniseries" thread, but I want to ask anyway. after reading the Grant Morrison Nuperman origin trilogy (issues 1-18, or volumes 1-3 if you've read them as a trade), which origin should I read next? John Byrne's The Man of Steel, from 1986? or Mark Waid's Superman: Birthright from 2003?

Superman - The Man of Steel V1 (1986) Cover.jpg Superman - Birthright (2003).jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Honestly? I'd read them both.

BIRTHRIGHT is closer to what Morrison did in terms of tone and little things like Superman being a bit more of a social crusader in his early days etc.

MOS from a historical standpoint is more important, and has better art, but there are things I personally don't care for in it, even if I as a whole enjoyed the 1986-1994 era of Superman. I actually started as a Superman reader off and on in 1991 ish and became a regular reader with 1992 and the Doomsday thing and I actually didn't read MOS in full until 1996 , and I was underwhelmed actually.

So... I'd say BIRTHRIGHT, but I'd definitely read MOS too as it is really important to the history of the character as a whole. I'd actually read SECRET ORIGIN too eventually, and make up your mind what is your favorite. There are aspects of each that are worth exploring on your own to get a broader appreciation of who Superman is as a character beyond just the New 52.

I'd also like to recommend ACTION #500 from 1979 if you can get ahold of one. It was I believe the last comprehensive version of his Origin before Crisis. It's a nice snapshot of PreCrisis Superman in full.

Happy reading!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Honestly? I'd read them both.

BIRTHRIGHT is closer to what Morrison did in terms of tone and little things like Superman being a bit more of a social crusader in his early days etc.

MOS from a historical standpoint is more important, and has better art, but there are things I personally don't care for in it, even if I as a whole enjoyed the 1986-1994 era of Superman. I actually started as a Superman reader off and on in 1991 ish and became a regular reader with 1992 and the Doomsday thing and I actually didn't read MOS in full until 1996 , and I was underwhelmed actually.

So... I'd say BIRTHRIGHT, but I'd definitely read MOS too as it is really important to the history of the character as a whole. I'd actually read SECRET ORIGIN too eventually, and make up your mind what is your favorite. There are aspects of each that are worth exploring on your own to get a broader appreciation of who Superman is as a character beyond just the New 52.

I'd also like to recommend ACTION #500 from 1979 if you can get ahold of one. It was I believe the last comprehensive version of his Origin before Crisis. It's a nice snapshot of PreCrisis Superman in full.

Happy reading!
    Thank you! I really do appreciate the help!
    Pull-List:

Both, though I prefer Birthright overall.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Birthright in my opinion. It's basically a Superman movie.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Birthright for sure.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd say that MoS is a very exciting beginning, where Birthright is a solid story. In the context of just reading a story, BR wins by design.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Between the two? Birthright. Agree with posts above that Man of Steel is more relevant for historical purposes.... It's good but has some things I don't care for such as the portrayal of Krypton and the whole "birthing pod" thing.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

And honestly Secret Origin is better than both
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

MOS is the better story, but if you can afford there's nothing wrong with buying both. I personally don't like Birthright that much, to much member berries without the charm for me, but to each their own.

I'd say Birthright is far and away the superior book, but Man of Steel was vastly more influential. You should read both, but after reading The Man of Steel try to pick up The Man of Steel vol 2 and onward as well. Those trades follow Byrne's run and onward following the '86 reboot and I think they're better than the miniseries itself, though they're definitely not "origins". I think reading a lot of Superman material that isn't retellings of the origin is really important. During 2009-2011, when DC put out three origin retellings within three years, I suffered severe "origin burnout". Remember that origins tend to get a lot of press, but most Superman stories happen in the gaps between the most common recommendations.
    Last edited by Adekis; 02-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Of course, ironically, neither one of them are probably canon now.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Of course, ironically, neither one of them are probably canon now.
    Nor is Secret Identity likely still to be canonical after Reborn.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Both have their flaws but I'd probably go with Man of Steel. It doesn't have quite as many flaws as Birthright (ie the idea that Lex and Clark knew each other in their youth but Lex didn't remember him later on is just not believable) Plus there are more follow-ups to get into with Man of Steel

Update: Attempts to find a new copy of The Man of Steel at good or great conditions have so far been unsuccessful, contacted LCS. don't have GN in stock or in the supplier's warehouse. may have to get outside help. more updates soon.

Update2: Found the Millenium Edition of issues 1-6, alongside a variant of the first issue (I believe so) on Ebay. will contact seller for more detail.
    MAN-OF-STEEL-s-1-6-Superman-Complete-1986-Series-Millenium-Edition-Variant.jpg
    Last edited by Netherman14; 02-20-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    Pull-List: