Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I just think that the whole Daily Planet staff is getting shortchanged except for Lois. Yeah, even Jimmy. You know why characters like Steve Lombard, Ron Troupe, Franklin Stern, Cat Grant, Morgan Edge and Dirk Armstrong were viable in the first place? It's because the Superman writing and editorial team made investments into the Daily Planet's office environment. Heck, in the 70s there was an editorial edict for a while that Steve had to be a douche once per issue, and the only reason that was possible was that everyone expected there to be scenes in the Planet either way. Nowadays if there was an edict like that, the biggest problem with it would be that it means Clark has to be in the office for a few pages per issue, because these days he is usually not.

And no Planet means no Ron Troupe, no Cat Grant, no Perry White, no Steve Lombard, and significantly reduced Jimmy Olsen.
    I agree. I really miss the Daily Planet stuff. I'm not saying you just make the comics about investigative journalism with very little Superman content, obviously. I just want the balance that the old stories had. I feel like someone could read every issue of Superman and Action Comics for a year and, if they had no prior knowledge of Superman, after that year have trouble remembering the name of the place where he worked and any co-workers not named Lois. The Daily Planet is an integral part of the Superman mythos.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think he's largely disappeared because the role the character served, aside from adding some much needed diversity to the Daily Planet staff, was to show the more politically and socially active side of journalism that had all but disappeared from Clark Kent by the Post-Crisis era. Once the New 52 momentarily gave Clark Kent his social activism back, Ron Troupe had become redundant. Similarly, I think Cat Grant was created to take on some of the less desirable traits previous incarnations of Lois Lane had taken on.

Frankly, aside from cameos or occasional guest appearances, I wouldn't expect to see any of the Daily Planet staff get much spotlight in the comics. The core of that setting is Lois, Clark, Jimmy & Perry. Lombard, Troupe and Cat will always be bit players, unless they are given their own role to develop like what the Supergirl TV show gave Cat Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I agree. I really miss the Daily Planet stuff. I'm not saying you just make the comics about investigative journalism with very little Superman content, obviously. I just want the balance that the old stories had. I feel like someone could read every issue of Superman and Action Comics for a year and, if they had no prior knowledge of Superman, after that year have trouble remembering the name of the place where he worked and any co-workers not named Lois. The Daily Planet is an integral part of the Superman mythos.
    Yeah exactly. It's downright frustrating, honestly. It's not just important that Clark works at a newspaper, it's important that he works at the Planet specifically, and nowadays it doesn't feel like a real place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think he's largely disappeared because the role the character served, aside from adding some much needed diversity to the Daily Planet staff, was to show the more politically and socially active side of journalism that had all but disappeared from Clark Kent by the Post-Crisis era. Once the New 52 momentarily gave Clark Kent his social activism back, Ron Troupe had become redundant. Similarly, I think Cat Grant was created to take on some of the less desirable traits previous incarnations of Lois Lane had taken on.
    That's a good point about Ron; I totally disagree about Cat, unless Lois ever spent three to five years doing drugs in Coast City and had a kid with a rich ******* who didn't care about her, then tried to date Clark because she genuinely liked him and not just because he was Superman (and no, Who Took the Super Out of Superman doesn't count). I mean sure Lois had that thing with Lex, but that conceit was really only developing at the same time Cat was created.

Frankly, aside from cameos or occasional guest appearances, I wouldn't expect to see any of the Daily Planet staff get much spotlight in the comics. The core of that setting is Lois, Clark, Jimmy & Perry. Lombard, Troupe and Cat will always be bit players, unless they are given their own role to develop like what the Supergirl TV show gave Cat Grant.
    I agree, but I'm highly frustrated by that. Also, I don't look at the Supergirl TV Cat and see Cat, I see a Rule 63 Morgan Edge without the Intergang connections.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."