Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whatever Happened to Ron Troupe?

Prize winning reporter, columnist, and social activist Ron Troupe appears to have gone missing from the Daily Planet's offices. Did he appear at all in the new52 or Rebirth comics? When was he last seen Pre-Flashpoint? Could Mr. Oz and Dr. Manhattan's changes in the timeline all be aimed at erasing Ron from existence so that Steve Lombard could achieve more prominence on his way to world domination? Did one of them want Ron's once-wife, Lucy Lane, for himself? Maybe it was Reverse Flash.

Um, but seriously, they should bring Ron back. I'd love to see more focus on the Daily Planet cast in general. Even the prominent people aren't getting much attention in the Rebirth era.

Pretty sure he appeared a couple times in the New 52, but nothing substantial.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Last time I remember seeing Ron was in one of Perez's issues near the start of the New 52. He hasn't been seen since.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Same thing that happened to Pete Ross, I'm guessing. It's a shame because I really like the character.

Maybe Ron or Pete is the guy in that extra cell next to Tim Drake...

I'm pretty sure he made a small appearance in Johns' New 52 run, arguing with Lombard.

I don't want to start an argument here, but from the moment Mechad Brooks was cast as Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl, I was pissed that Ron Troupe wasn't being used. For one thing, he's a great character in his own right, and for another, there's more you can do with him since he's not as iconic or well-known as Jimmy. The same goes for just going with Perry White in Hobo of Steel when Lawrence Fishburne could have been Franklin Stern. These movies and series tend to miss opportunities to do new things while claiming that they are, in fact, doing new things. This is one of the reasons I was dreaming (and still do today) that Morrison's Action stuff would be used in a reboot Superman movie. Clark at the Daily Star, best friends and roommates with Jimmy, competing with Lois who's not a colleague but a reporter from another paper, the proto-costume, all of this would have been fresh and new for an audience that has largely never read a comic book. Same with using Ron Troupe instead of Jimmy.

If we ever get a Superman TV series, I'd love to see that Ron has taken Jimmy's place as photographer and reporter. Since the CW guys like to re-use actors from previous Superman family productions, Sam Jones could come aboard as Ron and go on assignments with Lois and Clark while also getting his own plots and development.

I have an idea how to make Ron Troupe (and Steve Lombard) viable again .... but it should probably go in the Controversial Opinions/Ideas thread.

Also, Mehcad Brooks should have been cast as John Henry Irons (esp after he showed up as the Guardian) on SUPERGIRL.

Ron Troupe is, at best, a tertiary character within the Superverse.

BANNED

My favourite Ron issue was when he was given Clark's desk (was that his first apperance?), I really wished Clark had taken him under his wing more when he came back to the Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    My favourite Ron issue was when he was given Clark's desk (was that his first apperance?), I really wished Clark had taken him under his wing more when he came back to the Planet.
    That wasn't his first appearance. He was a very minor supporting character and pal of Jimmy initially in the run of stories leading up to the death of Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Unfortunately his big break came by covering and being duped by the one of the four Supermen that was insane and evil.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I just think that the whole Daily Planet staff is getting shortchanged except for Lois. Yeah, even Jimmy. You know why characters like Steve Lombard, Ron Troupe, Franklin Stern, Cat Grant, Morgan Edge and Dirk Armstrong were viable in the first place? It's because the Superman writing and editorial team made investments into the Daily Planet's office environment. Heck, in the 70s there was an editorial edict for a while that Steve had to be a douche once per issue, and the only reason that was possible was that everyone expected there to be scenes in the Planet either way. Nowadays if there was an edict like that, the biggest problem with it would be that it means Clark has to be in the office for a few pages per issue, because these days he is usually not.

And no Planet means no Ron Troupe, no Cat Grant, no Perry White, no Steve Lombard, and significantly reduced Jimmy Olsen.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

I must be one of the few people here of the opinion that the Daily Planet staff is the least interesting part of Superman. They're great as supporting characters, but I don't want stories revolving around them. I want to see Superman doing things only Superman can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I just think that the whole Daily Planet staff is getting shortchanged except for Lois. Yeah, even Jimmy. You know why characters like Steve Lombard, Ron Troupe, Franklin Stern, Cat Grant, Morgan Edge and Dirk Armstrong were viable in the first place? It's because the Superman writing and editorial team made investments into the Daily Planet's office environment. Heck, in the 70s there was an editorial edict for a while that Steve had to be a douche once per issue, and the only reason that was possible was that everyone expected there to be scenes in the Planet either way. Nowadays if there was an edict like that, the biggest problem with it would be that it means Clark has to be in the office for a few pages per issue, because these days he is usually not.

And no Planet means no Ron Troupe, no Cat Grant, no Perry White, no Steve Lombard, and significantly reduced Jimmy Olsen.
    But the DP started off as a well realized News outfit, it was the fans that though a monkey wench into the works just cause Lois got a promotion (Way to install that glass ceiling :slowclap: ) They couldn't even keep what tge damn place looked like straight. By the way, How many times has Lex bought the DP now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    But the DP started off as a well realized News outfit, it was the fans that though a monkey wench into the works just cause Lois got a promotion (Way to install that glass ceiling :slowclap: ) They couldn't even keep what tge damn place looked like straight. By the way, How many times has Lex bought the DP now?
    Twice in the comics. The first time just after Electro Superman era ended, and again after Nuperman's death.in other media, Lois and Clark had Lex buy it ( only to blow it up) and on SMALLVILLE.

And for the record, I was one that LIKED the Planet stuff early on in the New 52.