Default Need help on mylar comic bag sizes!

Need some help here guys. I have decided to purchase Mylars and I have been doing some research. I have come across some people saying that the Silver Age size are the best because it fits for almost everything. I only own modern day comics, but I am planning to get Silver Age books in the future. I need some help with the 3 sizes available, Current, Standard & Silver Age.

1) Isn't the current size meant for modern age comics?
    2) Whats the difference between standard & current size?
    3) Will standard size bags fit silver age comics?
    4) What age books are standard size for?
    5) I have seen a lot of people recommending Silver Age bags, but won't it slide from left to right and damage the books?
    6) Standard size seem to be just nice, but will it be more prone to damage because of the lack of space?

Sorry I'm really new and I need all the help I can get, I don't want to waste money purchasing the wrong item.
    I really like the perfect fit, I do not want too much backing board to be seen on the back of the comic. Standard sizes seems just nice but I'm not sure if its too tight.
    Ultimately, I just want the bag that can give the best protection for my books, so can someone help me out! Can you guys let me know which is the best size for protecting the books?
    Last edited by Marcus; 02-18-2017 at 09:12 PM.

All-New Member

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will come along and correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that current, standard and silver bags are all very close in size. Like about 1/4 of an inch indifference. They seem to range from a hair under 7 inches wide to about 7 1/4 for the silver bags. Modern and current seem to be just about considered interchangeable, though technically they are different. I don't like extra space int eh bags either. Not only do I think it could potentially damage the book from sliding around, I just dont like the way it looks. That being said, I deal almost exclusively with modern/current books. I buy whatever bags and boards they have for said books at the LCS. I've gotten ones that are resealable and ones that are not. My thinking is, once it is bagged, boarded and boxed, it really isnt going to move around too much. Unless I pull it out to look at, then I am going to be careful with it. So it moving around in the bag really isn't anything to worry about. Chances are, anything silver age or earlier coming into my collection is already going to be bagged and boarded.

So, in short, I buy whatever current/modern bags they have at the LCS.

Please see my reply in other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    All you need to know about Mylar.

http://boards.collectors-society.com...Number=3413482

You can get full-back boards if you want something more sturdy but those are pretty pricey. I echo the statement regarding using regular polybags for most comics. I was planning on going Mylites2+Full-Back everything but that's just way too much money when buying 50 comics a month. I've switched to resealable BCW bags. So much easier than dealing with tape.

Personally, I like my comics to fit snugly inside bags and boards so for my most favorite moderns, I use Current Mylites2 700M2 paired with Current Full-Back Boards 675FB.

Also, there are discrepancies with how different companies refer to bag sizing. I think BCW's Silver is the same size as E. Gerber Mylites2 Standard.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Please see my reply in other thread.
    Oh my, did you wrote that thread? This is awesome, everything I needed. Thanks a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Oh my, did you wrote that thread? This is awesome, everything I needed. Thanks a lot!!
    I didn't write that post on CGC. M. Schmidt did and it's an excellent resource. I was just referring to my reply in your other thread where I originally posted the link.

Again, keep in mind, the Silver/Gold 775M2s don't fit in most standard short/long boxes. Also, E. Gerber Standard Mylites2 (7.25" width) is the same size or bigger than other companies' Silver bags (7.125" to 7.25" width).
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja