Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Characters' romantic histories

So I recently started a thread called "Love Interests - Who does everyone 'belong with?,'" but I'm beginning to realize that my main goal was really to get some clarity on this topic. I enjoy finding out about those significant figures in a character's past, but I also like finding out about those characters who were deemed "the" love interest at a time. For instance, Superman was introduced in 1938, with Lois Lane as "the" love interest. And that basically didn't change for over seventy years. With other heroes, I'm fascinated by who the different writers have brought along over the years. So I've been doing some research, hopefully people can offer some clarity on any and all Marvel heroes.

I'll start with...

Iron Man

This site is a big help, but it lists just about everyone Tony’s ever slept with, while I’m focused on more major love-interests, and possibly also fellow superheroes who he’s had to continue to interact with.
    https://www.republiquelibre.org/cousture/bd/IRNMN5B.HTM

When first introduced in 1963, his main love interest was Pepper Potts, with whom he faced a love triangle with Happy Hogan. She ended up eloping with Hogan in 1967.

At one point, he fell for Whitney Frost, AKA Madame Masque, who later became a supervillain and has been troubling him ever since.

Janice Cord was the main love interest for about two years and twenty issues, from 1968 to 1970, until she was killed. Marianne Rodgers was introduced in 1971 as a main love interest, before she went crazy.

Bethany Cabe was introduced in 1978, and was Stark’s main love interest until 1981, when she realized her deceased husband was actually alive.Tony got together briefly with the Wasp in 1982, until he revealed his true identity to her, and she became disgusted that she’d been involved with one of her ex-husband’s best friends.
    Tony also had a brief thing with Heather Glenn before she killed herself, and, based on that site, also fell for characters named Veronica Benning, Rumiko Fujikawa, though I’m not sure if these were very extended romances.

Stark got back together with a now-really-widowed Cabe around 1995, but when a new volume of Iron Man started, this was apparently just forgotten about.

Happy Hogan died in 2007. After the popularity of Pepper Potts in the movies, she again became a central love interest in the comics, the two hooking up in 2009., but circumstances soon cause Tony to forget that ever happened. There was also an incident where Cabe came back in the comics, and she and Pepper did not get along, probably due to their mutual involvement with Tony. Since then, she’s been engaged briefly, but I really don’t know what’s going on with the two of them now.

So it seems like Pepper and Bethany are the only two characters, from what I can tell, to be persistently present love-interests in the comics.

What drives me crazy is that I cannot find anything online about Tony's relationship with the Black Widow. You'll notice that the above sight only lists her insofar as he had an attraction to her in her first appearance, before she turned out to be a Russian spy. Now, I've been pretty sure for a while now that the two were rather seriously involved in, I think, the '90s, but google-search as I might, I can't find anything about that!

He also had a lingering mutual attraction to Maria Hill, which culminated in the two knocking boots at one point, though I don't think it led to anything but awkward-zone after that.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 02-19-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Incredible Member

And here's a couple more...

Captain America

Cap's main squeeze in the 1940s was Peggy Carter.

Sharon Carter was introduced in 1966, and the two soon began dating, a relationship with lasted until she was apparently killed in 1979.

Cap almost immediately got a new love interest in Bernie Rosenthal in 1980, apparently just an average woman that he met. They became engaged in 1984, and broke up in 1987.

He's also had romantic tension with the former villain Diamondback, introduced in 1985. They had a first date in 1990, but due to her life circumstances, nothing much more came of it.

Sharon Carter returned in 1995, but the two decided not to renew their relationship. I'm sure there was plenty of romantic tension over the years, but I'm not sure what else his actual love life saw over the next decade.

Apparently sparks flew between him and Scarlet Witch around the time of House of M, as the two are shown embracing on the cover of Captain America and the Falcon #6 in 2004. It's really hard to find out what actually happened between them, but whatever it was, it apparently didn't last.

I can't get a good source on this, but apparently Steve and Sharon got back together around the time of the Winter Soldier arc in 2005. (I read the 2-volume collection and didn't see that happen, maybe it was right after?). They were together during Civil War, and Sharon finds out soon after his "death" that she is pregnant, although she loses the baby shortly after. They renewed their relationship after his return in 2009.

Apparently Sharon was once again thought killed recently, but was actually in another dimension where she aged quite a bit but ultimately made it out. I can't tell what she and Steve's, or just Steve's relationship / tension status is now.

Spider-Man

Peter's first love interest was Betty Brant, who he dated for a time before breaking up.

He then was faced with a love triangle with Gwen Stacey & Mary Jane Watson. He dated Gwen until she was killed at the hands of the Green Goblin.

I'm not exactly sure how long it took him to date MJ, or if they broke up once or twice before getting married. But during that time, he dated Felicia Hardy AKA the Black Cat.

Then that stupid Brand New Day crap happened, and I don't really know what's gone on with him since.

Steve and Sharon are a thing again at the moment.
    That will likely change with secret empire.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Incredible Member

For Bruce Banner, I don't know of anyone outside of Betty Ross.

For Thor, I only know of Jane & Sif.

Now Daredevil I'm not even going to get into, but there's something I wanted to address. One of the most famous aspect's of Daredevil's entire existence is the character of Elektra. She's often, I think, the first person that pops into people's heads when they think of Daredevil and love interests. At least for laymen, which is essentially what I am. I've of course read the Elekta saga, and I wanted some clarification because I'm pretty sure that's just about it for them, right? I mean, the character was resurrected (against Frank Miller's wishes), and given her own series, and she and DD have pretty much gone on separate paths since then. Or have they had some interaction. Either way, I'm fairly certain she hasn't been a love interest. And even in those 14 issues she was a part of, I wouldn't call her a "love interest." Yes, she was a romantic figure from his past, but she was also a pretty despicable human being. Not like the much more sympathetic version portrayed on the Netflix show, this woman killed plenty of innocent people and died while auditioning to be the Kingpin's next hitman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    For Bruce Banner, I don't know of anyone outside of Betty Ross.

For Thor, I only know of Jane & Sif.

Now Daredevil I'm not even going to get into, but there's something I wanted to address. One of the most famous aspect's of Daredevil's entire existence is the character of Elektra. She's often, I think, the first person that pops into people's heads when they think of Daredevil and love interests. At least for laymen, which is essentially what I am. I've of course read the Elekta saga, and I wanted some clarification because I'm pretty sure that's just about it for them, right? I mean, the character was resurrected (against Frank Miller's wishes), and given her own series, and she and DD have pretty much gone on separate paths since then. Or have they had some interaction. Either way, I'm fairly certain she hasn't been a love interest. And even in those 14 issues she was a part of, I wouldn't call her a "love interest." Yes, she was a romantic figure from his past, but she was also a pretty despicable human being. Not like the much more sympathetic version portrayed on the Netflix show, this woman killed plenty of innocent people and died while auditioning to be the Kingpin's next hitman.
    Hulk as the Hulk fell in love with a green skinned woman from the microverse named Jarella during the mid-70's

Hawkeye (Clint)
    He was, of course, married to Mockingbird.
    After her "resurrection" they dated again for a while.

Then there is Black Widow who was his partner in crime in their earlier days.

During the heroic age he had a very fun relationship with Spider Woman which he ruined by sleeping with Penny something.

He also had a relationship with Wasp and during his Thunderbolt days with Moonstone.

And he had a brief relationship with a woman named Sheila who only used him though.

There were other women he slept with such as Echo, Penny, either a Wanda Doombot or actual Wanda (the time window leaves the option open for both possibilities though it's heavily implied that it was the Doombot) and some "NPC's" how I like to call them but none of them count as relationship me thinks.

Edit:
    Just found this. A list of avengers and who they slept with.
    http://community.comicbookresources....php/t-824.html
    Last edited by Matternativ; 02-19-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Hawkeye (Clint)
    He was, of course, married to Mockingbird.
    After her "resurrection" they dated again for a while.

Then there is Black Widow who was his partner in crime in their earlier days.

During the heroic age he had a very fun relationship with Spider Woman which he ruined by sleeping with Penny something.

He also had a relationship with Wasp and during his Thunderbolt days with Moonstone.

And he had a brief relationship with a woman named Sheila who only used him though.

There were other women he slept with such as Echo, Penny, either a Wanda Doombot or actual Wanda (the time window leaves the option open for both possibilities though it's heavily implied that it was the Doombot) and some "NPC's" how I like to call them but none of them count as relationship me thinks.

Edit:
    Just found this. A list of avengers and who they slept with.
    http://community.comicbookresources....php/t-824.html
    Yes I was just about to post this... The list hasn't been updated for while but it is very thorough... If you guys can help me pile a list of of new additions I'll be glad to update it...

What drives me crazy is that I cannot find anything online about Tony's relationship with the Black Widow. You'll notice that the above sight only lists her insofar as he had an attraction to her in her first appearance, before she turned out to be a Russian spy. Now, I've been pretty sure for a while now that the two were rather seriously involved in, I think, the '90s, but google-search as I might, I can't find anything about that!
    You might be thinking of the Ultimates line (the 1610 universe) in which Tony and Tasha were engaged before she was revealed as a traitor. In the mainstream universe, I can't recall them ever being involved with one another.

Tony and Nat did hook up in the '90s, though it was just a fling. It was just a couple issues of his solo in 1995, they flirted and had sex.

I also recall some kind of sexual tension between them during Natasha's first appearances in Iron Man, though I've never personally read them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Steve and Sharon are a thing again at the moment.
    That will likely change with secret empire.
    Yeah...and I'm not looking forward to that .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I also recall some kind of sexual tension between them during Natasha's first appearances in Iron Man, though I've never personally read them.

Yeah...and I'm not looking forward to that .
    That will be one of the uglier moments. I mean it will be great from a storytelling point of view I think but that doesn't mean it will be easy to digest.

My Twitter

Silver Age at least the TOS 52/53. Then 90s. I hate Tony/Nat.

http://fybw.org/post/6472556088/the-tony-starkening
    http://fybw.org/post/9526184264/doin...on-man-315-317
    http://fybw.org/post/146810282492/ne...ive-rumor-that

For Natasha, don't have a firm timeline but iirc:

Nikolai (they had a stillborn baby implied to have been named "Rose")
    James "Bucky" Barnes/Winter Soldier
    Alexei Shostakov/Red Guardian (married)
    Tony Stark/Iron Man
    Clint Barton/Hawkeye
    Matt Murdock/Daredevil
    Hercules

Steve Rogers/Captain America (Ultimates? or other alternate Earths)
    Last edited by rui no onna; 02-19-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Silver Age.
    The pages you posted weren't from the Silver Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    The pages you posted weren't from the Silver Age.
    Referring to TOS 52/53. Post has been edited.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

I just basically disagree with the notion that there is this one canon pairing for any hero or heroine that must be "the one true love".

I mean, sure, that's nice if you got a story that has a nice, definite "The End" at the ending, but in an infinitely ongoing story you are just solidifying boredom and heading off all sorts of interesting venues for the stories to go.

Plus, the golden age/silver ages 'true' romances tend to be bland as can be.