Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What is DC doing with Batgirl?

So, I just got out of Lego Batman, and something that really didn't sit right with me is Barbara Gordon's role. We don't need to rehash the controversy about the sex scene in that Killing Joke movie, but generally speaking it now seems that DC is set on positioning her (at least to casual fans of their movies) as a grown woman and love interest for Bruce.

Fine, whatever, but a few things bug me about this apparent creative direction: First, they're really just going to keep calling her BatGIRL, anyway? A lame "Batboy" joke doesn't cover up how anachronistically patronizing that is. Second, this leaves them with NO young female heroes, which seems contrary to their marketing push at younger girls. Third, this leaves very little room for Kate Kane to carve a niche for herself in the cinematic Bat Family.

I know the comics are still different from these movies, and the movies I mentioned arguably aren't indicative of what they're going to do in the DCU if they ever get around to introducing either female Bat-hero, but with these being her last two film roles, it seems like a pattern that speaks to the mindset of DC executives regarding her character.

It seems DC has made up their minds (as far as comics go) that Barbara is young BatGIRL.

I guess that makes sense, if DC is going to push BatWOMAN, who is a woman in her late 20's, early 30's ... the Batgirl needs to be in her teens and no older than 21.

She is being written and presented as young ... and if she is going to be interacting with Supergirl who is 16, it's silly for a Batgirl to be lots older.

It is odd to see Barbara Gordon so young, but I think we readers need to get used to it.

Batwomans design was originally intended for Barbara Gordon, but Kate was created instead. Babs would've made sense as Batwoman ... but, it never happened sadly.

Extraordinary Member

I think it really depends on the "universe". In the comics and young justice we have a young Barbara, and in Batman Bad Blood (where Kate was in the main cast) they also teased a young Barbara at the end. And the Barbara in the Killing Joke movie seemed also still quite young (imo younger than she seemed to be in the original comic).

Even if they go with an older Barbara, there are plenty of younger female characters in the Batfamily left they could use (Bette Kane, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Harper Row, Carrie Kelly).

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'd rather take the love interest than the cringy foolishness they're doing with her in the comics now.

Well, Barbara is an adult, in her early 20s, that's how she's been for some time and I'm OK with it. Age wise she is still different from Kate who is around the same age as Bruce (they are often seen as children together), and they also fill different roles in the comics.

Anyway, I have my doubts if there will be any character younger that that in the live action movies and in the animated one they easily use Stephanie, Cass, Raven and others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Fine, whatever, but a few things bug me about this apparent creative direction: First, they're really just going to keep calling her BatGIRL, anyway? A lame "Batboy" joke doesn't cover up how anachronistically patronizing that is. Second, this leaves them with NO young female heroes, which seems contrary to their marketing push at younger girls. Third, this leaves very little room for Kate Kane to carve a niche for herself in the cinematic Bat Family.
    I do not believe DC has room for characters not called Bruce, ALfred, or Jim Gordon in the cinematic Bat family. Maybe Lucius... but no Robins, no Batgirls, or anything else.

At least they haven't shown any interest in this sort of thing since the Schumacher films.
    Last edited by Carabas; 02-20-2017 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I do not believe DC has room for characters not called Bruce, ALfred, or Jim Gordon in the cinematic Bat family. Maybe Lucius... but no Robins, no Batgirls, or anything else.

At least they haven't shown any interest in this sort of thing since the Schumacher films.
    Well...we did get a glance at a dead robin's suit in BvS. But yeah, don't get your hopes up for any of those characters.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

LEGO Batman is a different universe, it's part of the LEGOverse, not the main DCU, and it is quite obvious that Barbra is older in Lego Batman then she is when she was first introduced in the comics. Just like TTG are a much different beast then the comics Teen Titans, LEGO Batman is a much different beast then DCU Batman, so nothing is really creepy or controversial, unless you are creeped out by sentient LEGO figures.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

there should be a roadtrip adventure, with Batgirl solo or with a buddy who knows her secret.

Yeah that is weird, why does she stay Batgirl when Kate gets to leap frog her and call herself Batwoman? Hasn't Barbara paid her dues? Where's her Final Fantasy class promotion? It's not unprecedented. Dick/Robin became Nightwing. I'm not sure we've ever actually seen Barbara as a mature seasoned crimefighter. We only ever saw her as this 16 year old goofy rookie, Oracle in a wheelchair, or her future version as an old woman.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Yeah that is weird, why does she stay Batgirl when Kate gets to leap frog her and call herself Batwoman? Hasn't Barbara paid her dues? Where's her Final Fantasy class promotion? It's not unprecedented. Dick/Robin became Nightwing. I'm not sure we've ever actually seen Barbara as a mature seasoned crimefighter. We only ever saw her as this 16 year old goofy rookie, Oracle in a wheelchair, or her future version as an old woman.
    B:TAS showcased a mature, seasoned, young adult Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    B:TAS showcased a mature, seasoned, young adult Batgirl.
    B:TAS was pure perfection so there's no way I'm arguing with that. I just wish I saw more of it in the comics.
    Save Ferris...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

In order to justify her being called Batgirl, Babs will not be aging past early 20s for the foreseeable future. Much like Bruce and Clark will eternally remain in the 30-35 range, Babs and Dick will never age past early 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Well...we did get a glance at a dead robin's suit in BvS. But yeah, don't get your hopes up for any of those characters.
    I think Nightwing and Barbara (as either Oracle or Batgirl) have a good chance of showing up in some capacity.

The rest though? Not so much. Not nearly enough screen time to go around, and Bruce is forging relationships with the JL as well, so it's not like he's without enough interpersonal interactions to fill a movie series.

B:TAS was pure perfection so there's no way I'm arguing with that. I just wish I saw more of it in the comics.
    B:TAS Batgirl really captured the right balance that makes Babs work. Not too serious, but not too light either. I hate the Burnside costume with a passion.

Ill be seeing Lego Batman in a couple of hours, so can't comment on that yet. After a mediocre start though i thought the last issue of her series was quite good. I know some people don't like her current direction, and that its often considered "kiddie" (even though its quite adult), but i actually enjoy it. In world with Batwoman and Batgirl they need them to be different and do different things. Batwoman shouldn't necessarily be older Batgirl, and vice versa. That being said it does worry me how disconnected Batgirl is from the rest of the family except Dick.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-20-2017 at 10:53 AM.

BANNED

Three seperate women leapfrogged over Babs to the coveted Batwoman moniker in that universe.