Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't Babs reverting back to Batgirl one of the New 52 changes?
    Not so much revert back to as never even was Oracle.

Spoiler was Batgirl immediately before Flashpoint. Though I do see that they have kept her previously being disabled in continuity. If I'm not mistaken, time got rolled back to after The Killing Joke, but before Cass became Batgirl? Meaning in current continuity she'd never had a successor.
    Time did not get rolled back even a day. It was a reboot.
    Which has since been retconned into something complicated.

And didn't a new Oracle get introduced recently?
    I wouldn't know. I heard they reveiled Babs had been Oracle after all in the newest version of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Likewise Batwoman stole Batman's shtick, though I'm not really sure why in her case. Hero worship? Without Batman no Batwoman or Batgirl.
    If you mean, Kathy Kane, the original Batwoman, maybe this holds true. But Kate Kane didn't steal anything from Batman. She was inspired by him to become a vigilante, but she never made any attempt to associate with his "branding" on her own terms. She only started dressing like a bat after her dad found out and created a lot of her tech for her, because it was his idea that she dress that way so that people would know she was a good guy (that, and to get her acclimated to the Colony's own bat-branding, but that was secondary). She went along with that because it's just sensible.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I wouldn't know. I heard they reveiled Babs had been Oracle after all in the newest version of the DCU.
    Babs was confirmed as Oracle but a fanboy stalker is now Oracle in Batgirl and the Birds of Prey. It's exactly as good as it sounds

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It's only fair. Batwoman existed for over a decade before Batgirl came along. Batwoman aka Kathy Kane was introduced in Detective Comics #233 (1956). Only to be killed off in Detective Comics #485 (1979)
    Batgirl aka Barbara Gordon didn't come along until Detective Comics #359 (1967). And there was even a Bat-Girl before her, Betty Kane, Kathy's niece. First appearing in Batman #139 (1961)
    But Kathy was kind of a stand in for Selina (who afaik couldn't be used due to the comics code) and Betty was also kind of similar to "Roberta the Girl Wonder" (even if that was probably unintentional).

And Barbara was definitely a better character, she wasn't just created as Love interest, and didn't used gadgets that had the form of cosmetic products, jewelry and similar stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Not so much revert back to as never even was Oracle.
    Nah. Her being Oracle is now firmly back in continuity: http://www.cbr.com/batgirl-and-the-b...th-continuity/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Nah. Her being Oracle is now firmly back in continuity: http://www.cbr.com/batgirl-and-the-b...th-continuity/
    It is now. It definitely was not when the New 52 started.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

True. And Burnside screwed it up even more by having her create Brother Eye while she was in PT.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I still say Brunside should have had Babs keep that rouge AI and turn it into a phone app for superheros called Oracle.

Extraordinary Member

Is it bad that I want Babs to give the Batgirl identity back to Cass or Steph and go back to being Oracle? Not saying I want her also back in the wheelchair, but can't we have her and the classic BoP set up back? She was much more interesting IMO as the information broker of the DCU.

Oh, I know. But Rebirth is steadily just undoing the changes to canon made by the New 52.

I think we're kind of past the point where Barbara could become Oracle full-time again or Cass or Steph would becoming Batgirl again, what with DC re-emphasizing them in different identities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Oh, I know. But Rebirth is steadily just undoing the changes to canon made by the New 52.
    TThe poster I was replying to did specifically ask about the New 52 changes, not the Rebirth ones.

TThe poster I was replying to did specifically ask about the New 52 changes, not the Rebirth ones.
    In N52 it was not mentioned that Babs operated as Oracle, there was a gap in her Backstory. So, she could have been Oracle.

Babs even uses her Alias Amy Bedoes again!

To the original Question What is DC doing with Batgirl?
    They are telling Stories about her! Some are bad (Burnside), some are good (Gail Simones N52 run, Batgirl&BoP) and occasionaly they are great (Batgirl Annual with Poison Ivy).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    In N52 it was not mentioned that Babs operated as Oracle, there was a gap in her Backstory. So, she could have been Oracle.
    That is not what Gail Simone says, who adamantly wanted her to have been Oracle.

Editorial was keen to not confirm Babs having been Oracle, so Babs using a computer was a thing already.

Actually, there was a lot of confusion about the whole DCU what stories are in or out of continuity.
    Last edited by robert; 02-26-2017 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we're kind of past the point where Barbara could become Oracle full-time again or Cass or Steph would becoming Batgirl again, what with DC re-emphasizing them in different identities.
    Never say never. Wasn't it just two years back that Didio said there wouldn't be any reboots post-New 52? And Black Wally was supposed to be the "real" Wally.

Babs's intro in the DCEU will be very influential. We know that some variation of A Death in the Family did take place, but did The Killing Joke take place in the movie universe too? If it did, then chances are good that Barbara is Oracle and may debut in one of the planned Batfilms: Batman, Nightwing or Gotham City Sirens.