Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
    Fantastic Member

It was complete nonsense. Nothing major happened to that trend in the last couple of months of 2016, and since then Marvel have been just as healthy as the overall market. posted by jkthemac

can I have what you are smoking? dude? lol what you just gave us was NON=sense.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I don't agree that Carol has been given enough chances...She can still be a success.
    This does not compute. Carol in a Captain Marvel title has been objectively given chance after chance after chance. It's not a question of subjective. One only need look at the titles she's been given, the spotlight she's been placed and the monthly figures bear out. Carol was more interesting as Ms.Marvel mid-2000s than she's ever been as Captain Marvel. PERIOD.
    Now, what's subjective are the reasons but objectively, based on criteria I listed you can't say she's not been given enough chances...she's been given lots of chances.

Can she still be a success, sure but so can ANY character given the revolving door of chances she has been.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    It was complete nonsense. Nothing major happened to that trend in the last couple of months of 2016, and since then Marvel have been just as healthy as the overall market. posted by jkthemac

can I have what you are smoking? dude? lol what you just gave us was NON=sense.
    The figures do not lie. The only dip in Marvel that can't be put down to market trends generally was for a three to five month window during which nothing major changed as far as content was concerned.

If we saw a drop that didn't pick up until the coming October, we could argue that there was an editorial problem. There is no such drop.

Also, bear in mind outside of the grey area on the graph Marvel were not just following trend they were the market leader. So briefly they were not market leaders and during that time no major editorial changes were instituted to pull them out. They emerged from that dip naturally.

The only thing that can explain that dip is the first few months of Rebirth. Not confusing legacy characters, not diversity, not too many books aimed at young people, just competition that coincidentally tied up the cash in the system meaning shops had to be conservative in their ordering.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Unfortunately, very much like Tony and Peter Quill, Carol will have a personality when Brie give her one.
    Unfortunately yes. Now it's not the comics who dictacte the movies, but the movies who dictate the comics. And for once, maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe the movie can revitalize the character and giving her a real personality.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Unfortunately yes. Now it's not the comics who dictate the movies, but the movies who dictate the comics. And for once, maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe the movie can revitalize the character and giving her a real personality.
    I really think that won't happen from her solo but maybe from her appearance in Infinity war

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Unfortunately yes. Now it's not the comics who dictacte the movies, but the movies who dictate the comics. And for once, maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe the movie can revitalize the character and giving her a real personality.
    Pretty sure we don't know this. I see a whole load of movies inspired by comics, and I see comics only nominally following those trends. I doubt a mediocre movie will revive the fortunes of any comic. Indeed Guardians seems to be an anomaly. The big success in trade. Marvel tried to flood the market with Avengers titles and made no real impact - one of the largest grossing movies in history. They could have artificially reconstructed that team, but instead they doubled down on their current status quo. In contrast GotG was a property that was easily reproduced in comic form, and they reflected it but also added team members from other books to entice people into the wider universe. None of this adds up to a one way influence.