Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Really? You're not giving the retailers much credit here. Especially after Slott begged the retailers to order more Clonespiracy before #1 even came out.
    Yeah, I don't give many retailers much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oof. Doesn't look as good for Renew Your Vows then .
    I see RYV going to at least issue 16. Maybe into the 20s if they do a crossover or two along the way. That's a nice little run in today's market.

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    I'll be honest: I can't even fathom how RYV isn't number one. It's a million times better than CC.
    I'm already lagging on RYV. I only just caught up with issue #3 this week and for me it's still just...a cute book. It's nice that it's out there, it's cool that some people are enjoying it but The Amazing Spider-Family doesn't really do it for me - at least not as an ongoing. I liked Slott's RYV mini much more.

I'll be honest: I can't even fathom how RYV isn't number one. It's a million times better than CC.
    A few possibilities.

1. As pointed out before, the fact that it's an alternate continuity story could be a factor. Some people don't like them on principle or prefer reading something that'll have ripples beyond itself. The main ASM comic also has a great deal of brand loyalty. That sucker will be in print forever (for all practical purposes), regardless of how bad things get.

2. RYV is still pretty new. It's still finding a fanbase. (There's also the possibility that some people are waiting for the trade.)

3. It may not be up everyone's alley. I've read a few reviewers who don't like RYV's premise of MJ and Annie being superheroes, too.

4. Some people genuinely like Dan Slott's take on Spider-Man.

5. I could be wrong about this, but I get the impression that Marvel isn't giving RYV that much publicity. CC was ostensibly the Spider-Man event of the year, so was much more visible. That could affect sales somewhat.

It's a shame that a book that captures a better characterized and portrayed Peter Parker and his world that we haven't had in years isn't selling higher then another dip into the Clone pool, and one that wasn't even handled that well, but c'est la vie.

It's a shame that a book that captures a better characterized and portrayed Peter Parker and his world that we haven't had in years isn't selling higher then another dip into the Clone pool, and one that wasn't even handled that well, but c'est la vie.
    I think it is safe to say that it is probably selling well enough. I never thought it would outsell the flagship titles despite the fact that there are many fans who prefer a married Peter; at the end of the day, it is still an alternate reality book and there are also a lot of people who prefer/have gotten used to a single Peter again (it's been almost a decade now so a new generation of fans have grown up with a single Peter again much as readers did from 1962-1987). Seems the title is performing well enough and not near cancellation numbers; I have no idea how long Marvel expected the title to run but I don't think they planned on 50 issues. I suppose the only proper approach for us is to simply enjoy the titles we like while we have them.

BANNED

RYV is an interesting read but as stated by several, it is an alternate version that both suffers and benefits from the lack of history in the characters. Right now it's novel that amped-up MJ and Annie are fighting alongside Pete but that cool-factor is already starting to wear off. The only underlying storyline going forward of any significance is with little bad seed Normie Osborn. Evil kid geniuses never did much for me.

Kind of interesting how Marvel keeps trying (and failing) to come up with a sustainable female Spider character. Looks like Silk and Spiderwoman are both on life support. I really thought Silk might break through but I think her character and story were really poorly done from the start. She had a great premise but it was immediately glossed over and Boom! she's a full fledged SHIELD agent and superhero, no questions asked.

BANNED

I don't think RYV represents a better characterized portrayal of Peter at all. It's good, of course. Conway is my sentimental favorite among the great Spidey writers but I don't think that his portrayal of Peter in RYV is any better than Slott's. I think what people like in RYV is just the status quo and the cozy, familial trappings of Peter's situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    RYV is an interesting read but as stated by several, it is an alternate version that both suffers and benefits from the lack of history in the characters. Right now it's novel that amped-up MJ and Annie are fighting alongside Pete but that cool-factor is already starting to wear off. The only underlying storyline going forward of any significance is with little bad seed Normie Osborn. Evil kid geniuses never did much for me.

Kind of interesting how Marvel keeps trying (and failing) to come up with a sustainable female Spider character. Looks like Silk and Spiderwoman are both on life support. I really thought Silk might break through but I think her character and story were really poorly done from the start. She had a great premise but it was immediately glossed over and Boom! she's a full fledged SHIELD agent and superhero, no questions asked.
    Cindy isn't a SHIELD Agent, at least not yet. They were just using a rookie superhero as a mole. Being new to the superhero world, Black Cat wouldn't know that Silk is not who she claimed to be. She'd never believe that a more established hero, like Spider-Man, would turn to crime. Apparently she impressed Mockingbird enough though that they are about to offer her an official Agent job. With Mockingbird appearing in ASM, it sets up Cindy going back there as well, if Silk is cancelled, or a relaunch if it's not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think RYV represents a better characterized portrayal of Peter at all. It's good, of course. Conway is my sentimental favorite among the great Spidey writers but I don't think that his portrayal of Peter in RYV is any better than Slott's. I think what people like in RYV is just the status quo and the cozy, familial trappings of Peter's situation.
    The Status quo is different from what we're used to though...MJ being more willing to participate in Peter's activities as a fully fledged superhero and not some "wait by the window"-worrier type, Peter being active as Spider-Man the same time as his daughter, and the high stakes element of Peter being drained of power whenever MJ shares in his escapades. There's a lot of fresh ideas in there that fans are enjoying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The Status quo is different from what we're used to though...MJ being more willing to participate in Peter's activities as a fully fledged superhero and not some "wait by the window"-worrier type, Peter being active as Spider-Man the same time as his daughter, and the high stakes element of Peter being drained of power whenever MJ shares in his escapades. There's a lot of fresh ideas in there that fans are enjoying.
    I'm glad people like it. I'm glad it's out there. I don't dislike it myself but I'm not head over heels for it, either, and certainly don't prefer it to the main status quo.

Peter as a family man is one thing but having the entire Parker household all being superheroes...I feel like it's going to get old fast.

BANNED

Peter as a family man is one thing but having the entire Parker household all being superheroes...I feel like it's going to get old fast.
    I don't think it's intended to be long-term though, I heard a podcast where Gerry said he was giving it maybe half a year or so, then he'd change it. If RYV lasts longer than expected, it could become more grounded.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-21-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

It's cool, TBH. I personally like the original miniseries better, and am somewhat entertained. I kind of would like it if there was a little more variation from everyone having identical spider-powers though. Maybe make MJ get the Iron Spider suit in that continuity or something.

But overall, it's out there, and it's doing well for an alternate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I think it is safe to say that it is probably selling well enough. I never thought it would outsell the flagship titles despite the fact that there are many fans who prefer a married Peter; at the end of the day, it is still an alternate reality book and there are also a lot of people who prefer/have gotten used to a single Peter again (it's been almost a decade now so a new generation of fans have grown up with a single Peter again much as readers did from 1962-1987). Seems the title is performing well enough and not near cancellation numbers; I have no idea how long Marvel expected the title to run but I don't think they planned on 50 issues. I suppose the only proper approach for us is to simply enjoy the titles we like while we have them.
    I wouldn't say we've gotten to a point where people prefer/have gotten used to a single Peter again, since his love life has probably become the most inconsequential part of his character at this point other then retreading Peter and another Gwen Clone in Clone Conspiracy.

Ock and Anna Maria's relationship as been arguably more integral to the book the past few years then any of Peter's romances. Compare that to Brand New Day where they were throwing in several possible love interests to try and justify taking the marriage away, and doing Renew Your Vows as prominently featuring Mary Jane as his wife and partner.
    I do.

Conway's Peter feels far more well-rounded and like himself then Slott's 616!Peter has on a consistent basis, which is ironically in-line with how Slott characterized RYV Pete. In both cases he felt like an actual, responsible, adult and like Spider-Man, which I feel Slott has been struggling with in the main book for a while now.
    Even I'm iff yon the idea of MJ as a Superhero and Peter on a Spider-team with her and his daughter, but I think Conway is really making it work.

And it feels far more like the kind of Spider-Family you would expect from Spider-Man then what we have in 616.

Venom is doing well, who'd have thought it. Its been getting better and better, so glad to see it getting some word of mouth.

Dropped it after the first issue. And I'm one of the pro-marriage and anti-OMD people. Part of it is that its a new Alternate Universe that doesn't count for anything and the other part is that I just didn't enjoy it. Liked the mini-series in Secret Wars, but not this.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I don't think RYV represents a better characterized portrayal of Peter at all. It's good, of course. Conway is my sentimental favorite among the great Spidey writers but I don't think that his portrayal of Peter in RYV is any better than Slott's.
    I have to disagree. The characterization of Spider-Man is one of my biggest problems with Slott's writing. Even his RYV miniseries (which I would label as good characterization) doesn't work as well as the RYV series proper. Conway's work reads like the same character I know from the other comics and movies and whatnot.

I think what people like in RYV is just the status quo and the cozy, familial trappings of Peter's situation.
    If you mean that, unlike Slott, Conway is telling the kinds of stories that some of us Spider-Man fans want to read, then maybe. The status quo of Spider-Man as a middle-class street level character and all that, for me, at least, is a given. Without that, I'm not reading it. So, for me, the main thing to like about is the new ideas, like Spider-Man being a father and the new family dynamics. It's something that's new and fresh but still fits in the classic Spider-Man mold and premise, one basic thing that Slott has epically failed to do period after nearly ten years on his book.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Dropped it after the first issue. And I'm one of the pro-marriage and anti-OMD people. Part of it is that its a new Alternate Universe that doesn't count for anything and the other part is that I just didn't enjoy it. Liked the mini-series in Secret Wars, but not this.
    The whole "parallel universe" thing never really bothers me; from where I stand, any of the continuities are as "real" as any other. I mean, to me Ultimate Marvel is the "real" thing and 616 is a wacky-doodle alternate universe. Also, I like that RYV is it's own thing, which means that it can do what it needs to do without conforming to other series, getting caught up in events, having editors force retcons on it, etc.

But, if you don't like it, that's more than a good reason to not read it. No shame in that. (I personally liked this series a bit better than the RYV mini, but that's me.)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 02-21-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Like I said, wouldn't be surprised if we saw a crossover of some kind between the main ASM and RYV.

(Well, that, and Slott strikes me as the kind of guy who would have "write Spider-Man story with Gerry Conway" on his bucket list. )