Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post

I got the first 2 issues and found her aggravating. Not necessarily because there was anything bad about her, but she brought nothing to table for me. She doesn't have anything to make her standout other than having iron mans name on her book. Everything I've read from her she's just a less interesting version of [insert character or archetype here]. I used to think that maybe the problem was that she was just a new character, but I've been able to endear myself to other new characters quickly like gwenpool and kamala. Riri just doesn't have anything to make her stand out from the pack.
    She's Rage with a brain...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    He is bad because there is only one Hulk. It took more than Gamma to become the Hulk (at least to me). It was the right confluence of factors that made the Hulk and it can't be remade in a lab now matter how many Super Geniuses try it. Banner had the right DNA, Mindset, hate, anger, insecurities etc that made him the hulk. The Gamma rays and everything involved created his Mr. Hyde. The Hulk is just a representation of Banners Psyche as an abused boy and an abused scientist. You cannot recreate that in a lab no matter if it's a red hulk or a she hulk or a chohulk or a blue hulk, or a hulk dog, abomination, leader etc...
    That was what I always found fascinating about Bruce Banner as the Hulk in particular. Every other version of the Hulk, She-Hulk, Cho Hulk, Red Hulk, etc., are basically just their normal characters only with the powers of the Hulk.

Bruce and the Hulk were like two different characters fighting for control over one body, and dealing with the dangers that would bring.

Amazing Member

I just wish if they have to have a 9.99 issue of Deadpool, that at least take that month off from double shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideybono View Post
    I just wish if they have to have a 9.99 issue of Deadpool, that at least take that month off from double shipping.
    For real.
    10char

He is bad because there is only one Hulk. It took more than Gamma to become the Hulk (at least to me). It was the right confluence of factors that made the Hulk and it can't be remade in a lab now matter how many Super Geniuses try it. Banner had the right DNA, Mindset, hate, anger, insecurities etc that made him the hulk. The Gamma rays and everything involved created his Mr. Hyde. The Hulk is just a representation of Banners Psyche as an abused boy and an abused scientist. You cannot recreate that in a lab no matter if it's a red hulk or a she hulk or a chohulk or a blue hulk, or a hulk dog, abomination, leader etc...

This right here is why I don't read Marvel hardly at all anymore. Not just the Hulk but all of Marvel in general used to be unique characters. It was one of things that I really liked about them and made them different from DC. Marvel used to be about the characters, not "the mantle". While that doesn't bother me with DC so much, it really bugs me about Marvel.
    I also really liked that Marvel really didn't do the kid superhero thing. It was another of those unique things that I liked in the MU.

Pretty much Marvel, with all the replacement heroes and teenage heroes and multiple Earths and timelines has become DC. I read DC Comics those things don't bother me because it has always been a part of their Universe. Marvel has taken away most everything that made them unique and different and that's a bummer.
    Batman - Daredevil

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator X View Post
    This right here is why I don't read Marvel hardly at all anymore. Not just the Hulk but all of Marvel in general used to be unique characters. It was one of things that I really liked about them and made them different from DC. Marvel used to be about the characters, not "the mantle". While that doesn't bother me with DC so much, it really bugs me about Marvel.
    I also really liked that Marvel really didn't do the kid superhero thing. It was another of those unique things that I liked in the MU.

Pretty much Marvel, with all the replacement heroes and teenage heroes and multiple Earths and timelines has become DC. I read DC Comics those things don't bother me because it has always been a part of their Universe. Marvel has taken away most everything that made them unique and different and that's a bummer.
    Except for Bucky,Most of the X-men, The young avengers, the OTHER young avengers, new warriors, future foundation, rick jones (sort of), that time tony was turned INTO a teenager, and that one spider-guy from new York, but he never really got that popular anyways.

Except for Bucky,Most of the X-men, The young avengers, the OTHER young avengers, new warriors, future foundation, rick jones (sort of), that time tony was turned INTO a teenager, and that one spider-guy from new York, but he never really got that popular anyways.
    When I started reading Marvel the only teen heroes were Spider-Man, The Human Torch and Iceman and they all were portrayed as in their early 20's by the 70's.Rick Jones was the closest to a teen sidekick at the point and the comics themselves constantly reiterated why he couldn't be a full-on partner to Cap or anyone else. Bucky was dead.
    Stan Lee, the guy that co-created the Marvel Universe didn't like teen sidekicks and said on multiple occasions that Marvel didn't do that. The proliferation of teenaged heroes began in the mid 80's with Kitty Pryde and the New Mutants and they were students. Not actual superheroes.

The massive amount of teen heroes and knock-offs didn't start until the Quesada era. So yes, that was the norm for Marvel a helluva lot longer than it hasn't been. Nice try, though.
    Batman - Daredevil

Astonishing Member

No worries, Marvel did it's job by bringing in new demographics that would be willing to support the diverse characters that they introduced hence the great sales of characters you and others dislike. The classic 1960's DC rebirth will be open arms for you.

Mighty Member

When I started reading Marvel the only teen heroes were Spider-Man, The Human Torch and Iceman and they all were portrayed as in their early 20's by the 70's.Rick Jones was the closest to a teen sidekick at the point and the comics themselves constantly reiterated why he couldn't be a full-on partner to Cap or anyone else. Bucky was dead.
    Stan Lee, the guy that co-created the Marvel Universe didn't like teen sidekicks and said on multiple occasions that Marvel didn't do that. The proliferation of teenaged heroes began in the mid 80's with Kitty Pryde and the New Mutants and they were students. Not actual superheroes.

The massive amount of teen heroes and knock-offs didn't start until the Quesada era. So yes, that was the norm for Marvel a helluva lot longer than it hasn't been. Nice try, though.
    Well if we're referring to you specifically, maybe. But acting like teen heroes or legacy heroes is a new thing just wrong. Like I said, Spiderman, the O5 X-men, Human Torch, and Bucky were all teen heroes have all been around since the early days of marvel and they've been a mainstay in comics for just as long, if not longer.

Now if you don't like teen heroes, that's fine, im not going to tell you are wrong, but Marvel is a business, and that teen demographic and teen books in general are a HUGE business opportunity that Marvel would be foolish to dismiss, and if you think a lack of them is the ONLY thing that differentiates DC from Marvel, you may not like Marvel as much as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    No worries, Marvel did it's job by bringing in new demographics that would be willing to support the diverse characters that they introduced hence the great sales of characters you and others dislike. The classic 1960's DC rebirth will be open arms for you.
    Right on. I am enjoying the DC Rebirth very much. Hopefully the new fans are enjoying Marvel's output and will end up remaining fans for decades like I was.
    Batman - Daredevil

Well if we're referring to you specifically, maybe. But acting like teen heroes or legacy heroes is a new thing just wrong. Like I said, Spiderman, the O5 X-men, Human Torch, and Bucky were all teen heroes have all been around since the early days of marvel and they've been a mainstay in comics for just as long, if not longer.

Now if you don't like teen heroes, that's fine, im not going to tell you are wrong, but Marvel is a business, and that teen demographic and teen books in general are a HUGE business opportunity that Marvel would be foolish to dismiss, and if you think a lack of them is the ONLY thing that differentiates DC from Marvel, you may not like Marvel as much as you think.
    I was only referring to me and my opinion. I don't do blanket statements or attempt to speak for anyone else but me.

I don't hate teen heroes, I like them at DC just fine.I just don't like them at Marvel very much for the reasons I explained in my previous post.

I also pointed out a few other things that made DC and Marvel different to me aside from the teen hero thing.There were many differences between the types of comics and universes of DC and Marvel for a long time. Maybe it hasn't really been that way since the late 80's/early 90's but it was true for the first few decades of Marvel. The best and formative years when the comics were still being made by the people that actually created the characters and their Universe, I might add.
    Not sure why you keep making examples of characters that have not been teenagers since the 60's. To say that they have been teenaged characters all this time is just flat out wrong.Spider-Man, The Human Torch, the O5 X-Men were all college aged by the early 70's. Bucky was not a mainstay in comics until Brubaker brought him back either.I read Capt. America and the Avengers books for almost 40 years and can count on basically one hand every appearance he had during that time. ( Okay, maybe two hands and even then, they were all flashbacks to adventures that happened before Marvel as a publishing brand even existed.) Even the New Warriors, were all out of High School when they were created. So yes, the teen hero/legacy thing is relatively new.Especially for everyone that isn't X-Men related.

You are correct about one thing though, I don't really like Marvel all that much any more and that's okay.I was just stating my opinion. Not attacking anyone for liking what I don't. That's just childish.
    Batman - Daredevil

Right on. I am enjoying the DC Rebirth very much. Hopefully the new fans are enjoying Marvel's output and will end up remaining fans for decades like I was.
    Nah, the new fans simply stop buying instead of keep buying and then complaining on some place like the internet when they dont like something.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    That's weird. Magneto and Iron Man are fighting on the Secret Empire #1 cover even though Magneto isn't a villain.

This will be the push that Sam needs to finally be the Captain America the country needs to unify against Hydra. Unity kinda was the running theme of his book. Also, I doubt he can really use any other codename. Ian Rogers has Nomad while Joaquin has Falcon. Plus, him holding the American Flag might symbolize that he might still be CA during the event.
    Unity sounds like a good name.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yikes, didn't notice Ghost Rider was gone as well. That's what happens you focus on Hulk and Wolverine instead of your title character!

Robbie is in one of the Gwenpool issues though.
    Oh that's too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Looking through that list the ones I noticed that didn't get solicits were

-Black Panther: World Of Wakanda
    -Deadpool & The Mercs For Money
    -Gamora
    -Ghost Rider
    -Great Lakes Avengers
    -Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat
    -Silk
    -Silver Surfer
    -Thunderbolts

Gamora and Silver Surfer were because their issues got delayed for a month, so that makes sense
    Seems like Ghost Rider, Great Lakes, Hellcat, and Silk all got cancelled
    World Of Wakanda, Mercs For Money, and Thunderbolts could either be cancelled or on hiatus, that I'm not sure about.
    World of Wakanda was a mini wasn't it...?

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Good to see Moon Girl and UA aren't canceled after huge rumors. Called it.
    Moon Girl was never in any danger, Marvel get's money from Scholastics b/c of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Jeez, Bendis is still going on about how Riri is the best?
    Someone sounds really bitter, especially when in the same solicit it said "not everybody"

Talk about seeing what you want to see to support your agenda...

But I don't suspect anything better from a poster who said Riri's push is similar to a dog character, and not idk the many human characters that exist.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    you make that sound like its a bad thing........sales have proved this SJW PC BS Marvel has been trying to shove down our throats has not been working
    I didn't know Marvel kidnapped you, tied you to a chair, and then shoved comic books down your throat, I thought that you could just ignore them and spend your money else where.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I always find it sadly funny when comic book fans are so angry and bitter towards what they perceive to be "social justice" in their funny books. You're reading about characters whose primary concerns are social justice. Being so adamantly against that - and seeing social progress and diversity as being an attack on what you enjoy - suggests you haven't really absorbed the lessons that superhero comics have always strived to teach.

And as for sales, diversity hasn't backfired for Marvel. Not every book starring a woman or a POC has sold in high numbers, no, but a whole line full of white male superheroes would still produce its own share of clunkers. Not every book in a line is going to sell, after all.
    Uh oh, you're being too logical here.

I got the first 2 issues and found her aggravating. Not necessarily because there was anything bad about her, but she brought nothing to table for me. She doesn't have anything to make her standout other than having iron mans name on her book. Everything I've read from her she's just a less interesting version of [insert character or archetype here]. I used to think that maybe the problem was that she was just a new character, but I've been able to endear myself to other new characters quickly like gwenpool and kamala. Riri just doesn't have anything to make her stand out from the pack.
    Wait so you picked up a book that you already had a bias towards instead of letting some time pass between your aversion to representation ...oh I mean "pc agenda" no I mean 'new characters', not only that but you then claim she brought nothing to table as if every character created has brought something distinct to the table and as if that statement in of itself isn't subjective b/c I could say her being a black female, a genius and in science is what was brought to the table considering society is trying to encourage women of color to pursue science; then b/c she shares similarities with other characters she's somehow lesser than, but you like the new characters like gwenpool who shares similarities with deadpool ...hmm.

Yeah ok...

She's Rage with a brain...
    I like how you quickly jumped into the angry black women stereotype when she's only been shown grieving, how illuminating but not surprising.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-23-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

Someone sounds really bitter, especially when in the same solicit it said "not everybody"

Talk about seeing what you want to see to support your agenda...

But I don't suspect anything better from a poster who said Riri's push is similar to a dog character, and not idk the many human characters that exist.
    Come on, the cover has her surrounded by adoring fans and the cover from the last solicit was a selfie with a bunch of heroes. This is the same writer who had her appear in the background in in a fight in CW2 and then in the next issue had Miles, Sam, and Kamala tell her how awesome she is, and otherwise contributed nothing else to the book. I don't think I have to make stretch and nitpick to argue that Bendis desperately wants her to be the cool new hero that everybody loves.

Also, addressing your racism implication. I honestly didn't think of that when I posted, I just went witch Poochie because it's the first example that came to mind, and is a rather blatant(and I would imagine well known) example of the type of character. The only other character that comes to mind right now is the Shia LeBouf character from that last Indiana Jones movie, but that doesn't totally fit.

BANNED

I. wonder if the black bolt series is worth picking up. I always like imprisioned stoic heroes making a stand alone against inmates and impossible odds storylines.