Astonishing Member

Default Batgirl 8 Preview & Discussion from Den of Geek

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-co...t-look-preview

Decent preview.

But seriously my hype for this issue is Magpie showing up, in the Beware the Batman costume. What a perfect foe for Babs!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

LoL, Penguin's "fatherly obligations" cracked me up. I hope this issue continues the quality of the last issue.

This was silly, good silly. Not as good as the last issue, but still good. Much improved from the first arc. Its interesting, and i never really thought about it till now, but because Babs circle of friends is made up from her roommates introduced by previous creative teams. Thay are actually pretty developed. More than those kind of characters usually are.

Astonishing Member

Definitely 'good silly'. Liking the art. Liking seeing Babs hang out with her Burnside core characters. Don't hate Ethan Cobblepot. And it was a good show from Magpie - somehow I didn't expect her appearance to play into the "low-level Rogues are trying to use new app services as gateways into their 'latest crime wave'" scheme of things but I really like that's how it played out. Kind of obvious, but I wasn't really looking for the connection. And now that I think of it from a story point of view ... and a c-list nemesis point of view ... I realize that it's actually highly suspicious that both Fright and Magpie would be trying to use the same angle, same sort of scheme. I think Cobblepot's play is that he's using low-level (but high media profile if it goes well) villains to generate brand awareness - he's trying to profit off of merchandising or the media that comes with Gotham's famous Pop Criminals.

Which definitely would track with his less-than-favorable feelings toward his father, Penguin, one of the O.G. Golden Age Pop-Themed Villains.

So yeah, good stuff. Feels very much like a story that could've existed in the Fletcher run.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Always Rakzo

This was okay, not particularly great but it manages to deliver an enjoyable enough Batgirl story with all the necessary beats (although I do wish they would stop depicting Transgender people as incredibly delicate to the point that accidently misgendering them would affect them profoundly, is kinda insulting).

Liked the art much more.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I loved the fact that this wasn't just Magpie re-imagined, but rather Magpie updated. That Babs remembered her in her original appearance. Little things like that make me enormously happy.
    The rest of the issue was great also. I'm enjoying the art more than I expected.

This arc is pretty fun so far. Definitely a step up from the first.

Mighty Member

Kind of a bummer that Magpie (as well as Fright in the previous issue) has been punked out badly. I'd rather read more stories about them than Barbara's boyfriend woes.

I do wonder how much truth there is to Ethan's reunion with his father. What if he's in on his scheme as well?