Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Elements from media adaptions that should be incorporated into the comics

Superman didn't fly in the comics until the cartoons showed how much cooler it was than leaping tall buildings in the single bound. Jimmy Olsen was from the radio show, as was Kryptonite (although the idea was thought up by Siegel & Shuster for the comics first, but rejected).

While slavishly aping whatever the movies, TV shows and cartoons are doing can sometimes be a mistake, there are plenty of ideas other media have come up with that should absolutely be incorporated into the comics. Here's the ones I'd like to see...

1) The Hawkman/Hawkgirl/John Stewart love triangle from JLU: As we've seen in their string of cancelled comics and most recently in Legends of Tomorrow, the doomed romance angle of Hawkman & Hawkgirl falling in love and dying over and over again just isn't interesting enough to sustain itself for long. Adding in John Stewart as an equally worthy competitor for Hawkgirl's affections could give these characters the spark they've been missing thus far to keep readers coming back for more. However, this wouldn't necessarily be about diminishing Hawkman as Hawkgirl's true love in the way the JLU cartoon did, but rather giving Hawkgirl two equally appealing, but different love interests in the vein of Betty & Veronica, Mary Jane & Gwen Stacy, or Angel & Spike.

2) Aya & Razer from Green Lantern TAS: For anyone who has watched that utterly fantastic cartoon, these two were clearly the breakout stars of the show. They barely scratched the surface of the characters. Aya was essentially revealed to be the offspring of Ion, the entity that powered all Green Lanterns, while Razer's journey from villain, to anti-hero to hero was marvelously handled. It's a shame that the comics have utterly failed to capitalize on what is easily one of the high water marks of the entire Green Lantern franchise, which was only cancelled because the movie was such a failure.

3) Supergirl's mother Allura as a Kryptonian judge from the Supergirl TV show: For decades, the women of Krypton were pretty useless. The later reveals that Superman's mother, Lara, was an astronaut was a great idea, but not a lot was done with Allura, even during the ultimately disappointing New Krypton story arc, where she ended up serving as little more than Chamberlain to Zod's Hitler. Making her a judge gives the character more agency and opens up parts of Kryptonian society we haven't seen explored much, while also making connections between her and Jor-El, who discovered the Phantom Zone.

Those are the ones that stand out to me. Any elements from outside media that you'd like to see brought into the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Superman didn't fly in the comics until the cartoons showed how much cooler it was than leaping tall buildings in the single bound. Jimmy Olsen was from the radio show, as was Kryptonite (although the idea was thought up by Siegel & Shuster for the comics first, but rejected).

While slavishly aping whatever the movies, TV shows and cartoons are doing can sometimes be a mistake, there are plenty of ideas other media have come up with that should absolutely be incorporated into the comics. Here's the ones I'd like to see...

1) The Hawkman/Hawkgirl/John Stewart love triangle from JLU: As we've seen in their string of cancelled comics and most recently in Legends of Tomorrow, the doomed romance angle of Hawkman & Hawkgirl falling in love and dying over and over again just isn't interesting enough to sustain itself for long. Adding in John Stewart as an equally worthy competitor for Hawkgirl's affections could give these characters the spark they've been missing thus far to keep readers coming back for more. However, this wouldn't necessarily be about diminishing Hawkman as Hawkgirl's true love in the way the JLU cartoon did, but rather giving Hawkgirl two equally appealing, but different love interests in the vein of Betty & Veronica, Mary Jane & Gwen Stacy, or Angel & Spike.

2) Aya & Razer from Green Lantern TAS: For anyone who has watched that utterly fantastic cartoon, these two were clearly the breakout stars of the show. They barely scratched the surface of the characters. Aya was essentially revealed to be the offspring of Ion, the entity that powered all Green Lanterns, while Razer's journey from villain, to anti-hero to hero was marvelously handled. It's a shame that the comics have utterly failed to capitalize on what is easily one of the high water marks of the entire Green Lantern franchise, which was only cancelled because the movie was such a failure.

3) Supergirl's mother Allura as a Kryptonian judge from the Supergirl TV show: For decades, the women of Krypton were pretty useless. The later reveals that Superman's mother, Lara, was an astronaut was a great idea, but not a lot was done with Allura, even during the ultimately disappointing New Krypton story arc, where she ended up serving as little more than Chamberlain to Zod's Hitler. Making her a judge gives the character more agency and opens up parts of Kryptonian society we haven't seen explored much, while also making connections between her and Jor-El, who discovered the Phantom Zone.

Those are the ones that stand out to me. Any elements from outside media that you'd like to see brought into the comics?
    To add another historical one that made its way from other media to comics...the Batcave started in the Batman serials as it was easier to film in a location than build a set for Wayne Manor and then later added to the comics.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    2) Aya & Razer from Green Lantern TAS: For anyone who has watched that utterly fantastic cartoon, these two were clearly the breakout stars of the show. They barely scratched the surface of the characters. Aya was essentially revealed to be the offspring of Ion, the entity that powered all Green Lanterns, while Razer's journey from villain, to anti-hero to hero was marvelously handled. It's a shame that the comics have utterly failed to capitalize on what is easily one of the high water marks of the entire Green Lantern franchise, which was only cancelled because the movie was such a failure
    Actually, Aya is in the DCU canon. Or at least she was. The Interceptor first appeared in Green Lantern #65 (2011), as part of the War of the Green Lanterns event that was right before Flashpoint. They even called her Aya too, I think

There's a lot of things that could stand to be added from adaptations, but my favorites are from Legion of Super-Heroes.

1. Superman X was a cool character who would fit really well into DC's waning-but-still-extant "be careful not to cut yourself on that edge" aesthetic, and he's great for both darkness and a modicum of depth. Same with Razer from Green Lantern the Animated Series, who I'd also love to see more of!

2. Brainiac Five and Superman were sitting in a flippin' tree. And it was awesome. Brainy'd been previously confirmed as bi in the comics with his cute little romance with Invisible Kid, but adding Superman to the mix gives Kal another great amicable break-up to his historically massive list of not-so-evil exes he could have wound up with. Mostly though, I just thought they were cute together. Why I was a twelve year old straight boy when I started shipping them, why do you ask?

3. I'd just like the Legion to come back to the comics actually, thanks.

4. Ever listen to the Adventures of Superman radio show? My second-favorite Superman villain of all time (after Luthor) is from that show. He was a ruthless, maniacal, shadowy terrorist whose deadly plans struck panicked whole cities if not the entire world. Superman struggled to stop him! And he was known only as "The Yellow Mask". Damn I want him to come back!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Some Things that have made it over from other media.

DC Main Universe.
    El Dorado (Super Friends)
    Samurai (Super Friends)
    Rima (Super Friends)
    Zan/Jayna (Super Friends)
    Marvin/Wendy (Super Friends)
    Hall of Justice (Super Friends)
    Mas/Menos (Teen Titans)
    Cinderblock (Teen Titans)
    Gizmo (Teen Titans)
    H.I.V.E. Academy (Teen Titans)
    Everywhere Man (The Batman)
    Mercy Graves (Superman: The Animated Series)
    Livewire (Superman: The Animated Series)
    Toyman (Superman: The Animated Series)
    Lock-Up (Batman: The Animated Series)
    Harley Quinn (Batman: The Animated Series)
    Sewer King (Batman: The Animated Series)
    Roxy Rocket (Batman: The Animated Series)
    Renee Montoya (Batman: The Animated Series)
    Aya (Green Lantern: The Animated Series)
    Non (Superman II movie)
    Ursa (Superman II movie)
    Lionel Luthor (Smallville)
    Freak of the Week (Smallville)
    Chloe Sullivan (Smallville)
    Killer Frost (Flash)
    John Diggle (Arrow)
    Batman (Terry McGinnis) (Batman Beyond)
    Justice League Unlimited (Aquagirl, Green Lantern, Warhawk, Barda, Superman, Batman, Micron) (Batman Beyond)
    Justice Lords (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batman, J'onn J'onzz, Hawkgirl) (Justice League cartoon)
    Jeremiah and Eliza Danvers (Supergirl)
    Red Lantern/Nite-Lik (Toy)

Aspects later appeared in the comics.
    Apache Chief (Super Friends)
    Giganta (Super Friends)
    Supergirl (Supergirl)
    DEO (Supergirl)
    Fortress of Solitude (Superman: The Movie)
    Bumblebee (Teen Titans)
    Felicity Smoak (Arrow)
    Mister Freeze (Batman: The Animated Series)
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 02-21-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Incompetent cousin, Van Wayne.

I kinda like the fact that Oliver spent 5 years training not only in the island, but also in China and Russia. It kinda makes Arrow a Batman-lite, but it makes more sense considering how good Oliver is as a fighter. Plus it gives him a lot more useful skills.

That said, considering how awful kreisberg's arc was on GA, i'd rather not have more than that coming from the tv show.

Young justice had a bunch of really cool stuff that should be considered.
    - Different generations formed a very big team with several squads. That's an amazing idea. You get to see Dick working with Tim, M'gann and Babs. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to use a rotating cast that keeps things interesting.
    - They were very important to the Justice League. They trusted them and gave them important missions. Considering how pointless the Titans team currently is, it'd be nice to give them some purpose.
    - They had mentors. They had Red Tornado or Dinah teaching them useful stuff. That was cool.
    - At the end of the day, it was about characters. Conner loved M'gann, Wally and Artemis retired, Kaldur was Black Manta's son. I mean, it was much more than standard heroics. It was a group of teenagers trying to find themselves. Marvel is doing a great job with that genre and i can't believe DC hasn't exploited it, considering the critical acclaim of YJ.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The Cisco Ramon persona from THE FLASH TV series should become THE way to portray Vibe in the comics as well.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It still blows my mind that DC didn't incorporate some of the concepts and characters from Young Justice. Artemis showed up for a few panels and then died. A version of Aqualad who looks similar to YJ is just now set to appear in comics form. The cartoon showed that Sportsmaster can actually be a cool character. He could be like an evil version of Casey Jones from TMNT. And of course there were the "Runaways".

If they can't use Static they should use Black Lightning's daughter.

Artemis Crock being Jade Nguyen's sister.

Alex Danver

The Runaways

A combination of the Runaways (Young Justice) and The Ultimen (Justice League Unlimited): Black Lightning, Wind Dragon, Long Shadow, El Dorado, Shifter and Downpour

Ebon (from Static Shock)

Maxie Zeus being richer then Bruce Wayne and wearing super hi tech gear (The Batman)

Zeta being in the comics (Batman Beyond/The Zeta Project)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I also want to see the runaways from Young Justice in the DCU. They are a great set of characters and I loved their group.

Brainiac's origin from the animated series. I liked how it gave him a strong connection to Superman and made him a planet buster.

Arkham Knight's version of Death in the Family.

I actually liked the idea of Wayne Island from the Lego batman movie, as well as the fact that Bruce keeps a selfie he took of his family only moments before their murdered on his wall that he constantly stares at.

I'd also like to see Bob brought in from Batman 89. He could be the legendary Joker goon. The guy who's worked with Joker longer than anybody and who's (at least rumored) to have known the guy well before he became Joker.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The Cisco Ramon persona from THE FLASH TV series should become THE way to portray Vibe in the comics as well.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Absolutely. Vibe never worked for me...at all. Despite some good intentions, he was a 1980s Latino breakdancing stereotype, which can be fun for a few minutes:

But, other than kitch value, the character was sort of embarrassing. Crisco Ramon, on the other hand, has been one of the best reasons to tune into The Flash TV show...

Sara Lance as resurrected ex-League of Assassins, Capt of the Warerider White Canary has exceeded any of the Black Canaries in the Arrow-verse. Not sure how, but seeing a White Canary like her would be awesome. (long lost sister of the DCU's Black Canary maybe?)