Default Do You Think Jason Todd Should Evolve More As A Character?

I know he's the most violent (not counting Damian who of course is a child sociopath with blood on his hands) of Batman's protege's and certainly he's not the most stable. However one thing that always stood out to me is that as a Robin he never kissed up to Batman and their relationship involved a lot of disagreeing. From what I understand this is why he wasn't well like because he often talked back to Batman and they did not always get a long. I have not read much of Red Hood recently but I have always felt a good direction would be for Jason to become the kind of person Batman would like as a successor but to not want it and to become very critical of the way Bruce does things.

I mean Bruce/Batman takes orphans and takes them out at night to fight serial killers and criminals you can't tell me that does not have a negative affect on their minds. I'm surprised when you consider the lunatics Batman faces like Pyg, Zasz, and Joker that more of his proteges aren't like Jason. I've always felt like a good direction for Jason Todd would be for him to become a cop that actively opposes Batman and actively tries proving Gotham does not need him. I mean I feel that would be interesting to see Jason go from vigilante to reformed GCPD officer out to take the Batman Family down(as a rival to Batman and his methods) because he feels Bruce/Batman does more harm than good.

I feel that would be a good dynamic Jason and Bruce butting heads and arguing over what's really right and what wrong. With Jason deciding to stand for something indisputably good while opposing Batman completely. Especially since Jason wouldn't be entirely wrong.

As a cop Jason could still use lethal force when necessary and not much would have to change with him. I think Bruce's reaction as well as the rest of the Batman Family's reactions would be interesting to especially if Jason made such a big change and actively started putting Batman on the spot like how Damian has been known to kill it would be interesting to see Bruce react to Jason putting him on the spot for tolerating that calling him out on how he does nothing about that kind of behavior. I think of all the protege's Jason becoming a character that grows to believe in the law when it comes to crime fighting but actively opposing and being critical Bruce's views and methods would be sort of poetic. Since he's had the most unstable background I think it would be interesting if without Bruce he actually became more stable and surprisingly well rounded.

I think he should go back to being Robin. That would be tight. I mean, I know that dynamic doesn't make any sort of sense, but it'd be cool if he donned an adult-style robin suit and dropped him guns. Mainly because I like their relationship together.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

I wouldn't mind a shake up. Current Jason bores me. Which is a shame.

BANNED

I think you should read the recent RATHO. There`s a bit in what you say.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I know he's the most violent (not counting Damian who of course is a child sociopath with blood on his hands) of Batman's protege's and certainly he's not the most stable. However one thing that always stood out to me is that as a Robin he never kissed up to Batman and their relationship involved a lot of disagreeing. From what I understand this is why he wasn't well like because he often talked back to Batman and they did not always get a long. I have not read much of Red Hood recently but I have always felt a good direction would be for Jason to become the kind of person Batman would like as a successor but to not want it and to become very critical of the way Bruce does things.

I mean Bruce/Batman takes orphans and takes them out at night to fight serial killers and criminals you can't tell me that does not have a negative affect on their minds. I'm surprised when you consider the lunatics Batman faces like Pyg, Zasz, and Joker that more of his proteges aren't like Jason. I've always felt like a good direction for Jason Todd would be for him to become a cop that actively opposes Batman and actively tries proving Gotham does not need him. I mean I feel that would be interesting to see Jason go from vigilante to reformed GCPD officer out to take the Batman Family down(as a rival to Batman and his methods) because he feels Bruce/Batman does more harm than good.

I feel that would be a good dynamic Jason and Bruce butting heads and arguing over what's really right and what wrong. With Jason deciding to stand for something indisputably good while opposing Batman completely. Especially since Jason wouldn't be entirely wrong.

As a cop Jason could still use lethal force when necessary and not much would have to change with him. I think Bruce's reaction as well as the rest of the Batman Family's reactions would be interesting to especially if Jason made such a big change and actively started putting Batman on the spot like how Damian has been known to kill it would be interesting to see Bruce react to Jason putting him on the spot for tolerating that calling him out on how he does nothing about that kind of behavior. I think of all the protege's Jason becoming a character that grows to believe in the law when it comes to crime fighting but actively opposing and being critical Bruce's views and methods would be sort of poetic. Since he's had the most unstable background I think it would be interesting if without Bruce he actually became more stable and surprisingly well rounded.
    Have you bothered to read the last five~six years of his stories?

Because they have plenty of development for him.

I would say Jason has been enjoying the most character development out of everyone since the N52. Whether one finds it to their liking or not.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Jason's been getting a lot of character development in recent years and a cop angle doesn't really work for him based on the way he's been characterized in the past plus there is also the fact that he has murdered people. With the record he has I doubt any police department would want to touch him.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 02-20-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I think he's evolved some in the newest RHATO. He's not trying to take down Batman, which I think is an improvement to his character, although some may disagree, but Bruce and Jason are shown to disagree about each other's methods.

To have permission to stay in Gotham and take down Black Mask, Jason agrees to follow Bruce's rules - with the main one being no killing. That's in the Rebirth issue, which has some nice flashbacks to their first meetings as well. In mid-arc, you see Jason about to presumably use lethal force, but he recalls his promise to Bruce and stops. Then in the final issue of the arc, there is a very nice present-day scene between Bruce and Jason that calls back to their first meeting. They also discuss Bruce's rules - and perhaps Jason's misconception of them (not counting the no-killing part). They are at an understanding of sorts. I believe it was very nicely done.

And Jason has his own "orphan" of sorts in Bizarro. That relationship is a surprising and moving part of RHATO Rebirth.

It's not really what you are talking about, except for the first part, of Bruce and Jason not agreeing on everything, and how Jason is not shy about calling that out, but there was definitely some character growth there, and he showed himself to be more stable. We also are seeing Jason on better terms with the Batfamily in both the Batman and Nightwing books as a result.

BANNED

Jason not stepping down on even Batman is why being a cop would feel wrong. Nevermind everything else, it would just bore him.

Likewise, for the good and bad, he`s not much of a hypocrite to become a cop just so he could use legal force when necessary. He`s usually kind of honest that way.

That's not even mentioning the uproar if Jason "steals" something from Dick once again.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 02-20-2017 at 09:49 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    That's not even mentioning chops the uproar if Jason "steals" something from Dick once again.
    I thought about mentioning that too but I didn't.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I wouldn't mind a shake up. Current Jason bores me. Which is a shame.
    I think RHatO is OK (even if I think they Lobdell has to make him a little bit more "Batgod" with team mates like this), but they need really a better concept for him when he pops up in the Batbooks. When the most rebellious thing he does there is eating jokerized fries, that really not that great.

Yeah, he has developed quite a bit. Whether you view the development as good or bad is up to your personal taste. He is basically a Batman family member and isn't super violent or vengeful much anymore. He isn't really going after big villains trying to kill them out of some need to or antagonizing Batman. Maybe he will go back to being a bit more like a villain eventually, but that probably won't happen as long as Lobdell is writing him.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    That's not even mentioning the uproar if Jason "steals" something from Dick once again.
    I think it depends on what it is. I'm a big Dick Grayson fan but I thought taking Roy and making him Jason's closest friend felt natural. Starfire didn't really work, but Roy and Jason have so much in common that it worked for them and it didn't feel like Dick lost anything.