Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Giving up on the CBR Home Page

I can't stand it anymore. Ads and videos are constantly loading or attempting to load. Sometimes you can't even read the articles anymore because of all the intrusions. Unless the mods have some suggestions, I'm going to a less bothersome site for news.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-22-2017 at 01:14 AM.

Have you tried Feedly?

It's a Chrome plugin and mobile app which let you get feeds from CBR (and other news sites) without having to go to the main page.

That's what I use for all of my comics news.

When an "exclusive preview" is announced in the forums, my first reflex is to go to the site of previewsworld to read it without boring me without the difficult connection and all the ads and videos of the cbr main page...

Agreed, their solicitations page is unreadable here. I can't even get the page to load usually and look elsewhere.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Agreed, their solicitations page is unreadable here. I can't even get the page to load usually and look elsewhere.
    I've started going elsewhere for solicitations too. The images and text are far too big on CBR so it's a huge scrollfest to get through the whole list.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I don't like the huge blocky text either. I guess it's good for mobile devices but I tend to stick to my PC still at home. At least CBR doesn't have the slide show for solicitations. I think it worked better with a thumbnail of the cover image that you could click for the larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Have you tried Feedly?

It's a Chrome plugin and mobile app which let you get feeds from CBR (and other news sites) without having to go to the main page.

That's what I use for all of my comics news.
    Thanks for the suggestion. When I get on my home PC I will try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I can't stand it anymore. Ads and videos are constantly loading or attempting to load. Sometimes you can't even read the articles anymore because of all the intrusions. Unless the mods have some suggestions, I'm going to a less bothersome site for news.
    It is bad. Really bad.

I've left many of sites because of ads and videos constantly loading non stop.

It must be profitable or it wouldn't be so common but good lord. comic newsites are a dime a dozen and i aint dealin with it
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I've started going elsewhere for solicitations too. The images and text are far too big on CBR so it's a huge scrollfest to get through the whole list.
    Yeah, ridiculous.

I've started using the http://www.comiclist.com/ feed in Feedly to give me my previews. That's got the opposite problem of having no images at all, but that's far preferable to CBR's huge images

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It is bad. Really bad.

I've left many of sites because of ads and videos constantly loading non stop.

It must be profitable or it wouldn't be so common but good lord. comic newsites are a dime a dozen and i aint dealin with it
    Yeah, I stopped going to a lot of sites including the main one here because of those all those damned ads and videos. Nine times out of ten one of both of those freeze my tablet or my PC and I'm sick of it. These days I don't even bother with the news site at all. I figure they worked so hard to drive me away that I'll oblige them and stay away period.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Yeah, it's a shame really because CBR was one of the best with columns. Brian Cronin's are always fun but I sometimes I have hard time just finding them. The old setup linked to his archive much better.

The main page is just overloaded and IMO it's counterproductive to getting people to read it regularly. I've gone days on end without even trying.

I hater those videos that load by themselves, often talking about some other topic you didn't even want to check on. i always mute the tab when they come up.

Yeah, I hung with the main page for quite awhile, and then just simply went with the comics news page--but even there it really was difficult to read any of the articles due to videos and ads freezing up my PC all the time. Finally decided to give up and go somewhere else for news and previews. Shame. I'd been relying on CBR for that for over a decade...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

gave up on the Home Page a loooong time ago. lol
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

I have three different ad-blockers going at all times in Google Chrome so I never see ads or videos on the home page.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Didn't like the new design so I look for info other places, and oddly the main books websites work okay (DC, Marvel, IDW, etc.) I just think that the ad thing is in connection to the new owners. Gotta get that cash.