Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Spider-Woman #16 - SPOILERS

I'm typing this from my phone, I apologize in advance for typos and many edits that are likely to come.

The issue is from Roger's point of view...while we get his internal dialogue of how awesome Jess is, there's a ton of action.
    Jess is kicking ass and also getting her ass kicked.
    Roger loves that Jess treats him as an equal and wises up to the fact that he's her sidekick and helps Jess out by throwing old Hobby off the balance.
    They all crash and Jess and Roger smooch before getting ready to go for another round with Hobgoblin(who is actually pretty impressed by Jessica s tenacity).
    Carol shows up and blows Hobgoblin and his cronies up, all the while making this grand speech about how she doesn't care that Jess is mad at her and begging Jess for forgiveness..
    Only to have her moment of redemption ruined because Roger and Jess have resumed making out ( though Jess is grateful if the thumbs up is any of indication).
    Carol seems to be somewhere between happy for Jess and a bit put out that her moment was...overshadowed?

I'm a bit torn..I am happy for Jess and Roger cause god knows Jess deserves a win. But I was really kinda hoping for Carol and Jess to hug it was out. Otherwise, fantastic issue...Fish nailed the action and Rosenberg the colors. Can't wait (and also dreading because it's the last issue) to see how Hopeless wraps it all up next month.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Carol seems to be somewhere between happy for Jess and a bit put out that her moment was...overshadowed?
    I interpreted it more like, "Wow. I seem to be interrupting a make-out session with I guy I didn't know you had a thing with. Awkward..."

I really want to read this comic.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I interpreted it more like, "Wow. I seem to be interrupting a make-out session with I guy I didn't know you had a thing with. Awkward..."
    That too Ha! Could be all of the above XD

You really need to read it Winterboy.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

The ending took me by surprise and made me laugh out loud and the fights until that point were great.

Can't ask for more
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

It's good to see a happy ending for a change .

I died laughing with the scene of Carol and her face when she realized that Jess was busy with something else but she appreciated her help .

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    It's good to see a happy ending for a change .

I died laughing with the scene of Carol and her face when she realized that Jess was busy with something else but she appreciated her help .
    I really liked the stone kicking part, it's an oldschool cliche but it just fits the tone really well
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    It's good to see a happy ending for a change

Something like this. I wonder...

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

An all round great issue...Jess was suitably grateful.."oh thank gawwd!"

The ending was just right, Jess was thankful to Carol (the thumbs up), and will be friends again, it's just she was a bit busy first in the moment with her man.....it's good that it was handled this way, good that it wasn't an unreserved reconciliation with Carol...but a reconciliation it is...and funny too, as mentioned, to see Carol slightly perplexed about Roger..

And on the rescue by Carol, that was well done, well timed...we saw that Jess is so tough, and determined, but also she was in a bad way from previous assaults, and needed a little help from her friend...a plot device to clear up the Jess n Carol thing, and just a realistic scenario for it to happen...

Well done all working on the book...shame it's coming to an end...roll on #17, for at least more of a happy ending...

Jon

Well to be fair - that's not really Jessica kissing Danny. Pretty sure that's Veranke.

I have looked forward to Spider-Woman more than any other comic each month. Hopefully another comic will come along that I'll look forward to just as much.

I thought the resolution was poor. When I pick up a comic called "Spiderwoman" I expect Spiderwoman to save the day, not a guest star to just randomly show up in the final 3 pages of the plot. It doesn't matter that they are close friends, it is bad writing of the deus ex machina variety.

Also the Roderick Kingsley Hobgoblin never had a flaming sword, that was the inferior Phil Urich Hobgoblin, who now goes by the title of Goblin Knight and wears a blue cape.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I thought the resolution was poor. When I pick up a comic called "Spiderwoman" I expect Spiderwoman to save the day, not a guest star to just randomly show up in the final 3 pages of the plot. It doesn't matter that they are close friends, it is bad writing of the deus ex machina variety.

Also the Roderick Kingsley Hobgoblin never had a flaming sword, that was the inferior Phil Urich Hobgoblin, who now goes by the title of Goblin Knight and wears a blue cape.
    yep. I half suspected it would be Phil when he first showed up; because of his connection to Ben.

I'd agree if taking Hobgoblin down would have been the primary goal. It wasn't. She wanted to save her guy, she saved her guy and she pratically crawled through knives to get there.
    She did never once look weak while all of this was going on and Carol entering the scene was a really nice touch given their earlier encounter a few issues back.
    I wouldn't even call it an actual Deus Ex Machina all things considered since Carol looking out for Jess even though they are on the outs makes a lot of sense and like I said: It didn't really matter.
    The story didn't suffer from the conclusion, if anything it added something to it.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I'd agree if taking Hobgoblin down would have been the primary goal. It wasn't. She wanted to save her guy, she saved her guy and she pratically crawled through knives to get there.
    She did never once look weak while all of this was going on and Carol entering the scene was a really nice touch given their earlier encounter a few issues back.
    I wouldn't even call it an actual Deus Ex Machina all things considered since Carol looking out for Jess even though they are on the outs makes a lot of sense and like I said: It didn't really matter.
    The story didn't suffer from the conclusion, if anything it added something to it.
    Very well said, Matternativ.

The story was about Jess and her relationships with her people. It wasn't actually about the Hobgoblin at all.

I loved this issue. In fact I've loved this whole run. Nothing Hopeless has written in the past has ever engaged me and I've always liked Jessica but not really followed her closely but this series is probably one of my favorites right now. Every now and then a writer/character combination just click (same thing with Aaron/Mighty Thor) and it's glorious. Really going to miss this book, but it looks like a fun fade out to the sunset ending coming next issue which I expect will be sweet and satisfying. (I hope that will help a little Seren )
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers