Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordRyus View Post
    To his credit, Hopeless got Jessica's personality mostly right. Though he majorly rushed her quiting the Avengers to just a few lines spread over 4 issues prior to it and the Mother thing was very 'OMG shocking cover read to find out more', my only real complaint there was Jessica historically hating kids or at least avoiding them and the whole 'who's the dad set up' that didn't actually reveal anything. I suppose a future writer now will get to pick the father one day, because it's too good a plot not to. I hope Hopeless doesn't regret leaving it open one day. Well, maybe that will be a shocking twist in next issue and Hopeless will get the last say here, lol.
    Would anyone complain if Roger was revealed to have donated sperm (maybe being strapped for cash just after he went legit)... and so turns out to be Gerry's Dad?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Would anyone complain if Roger was revealed to have donated sperm (maybe being strapped for cash just after he went legit)... and so turns out to be Gerry's Dad?
    I would complain a little.

Spectacular Member

*raises hand*

It'd be way too easy and bad story telling. Plus it really goes against his character as a family man. Plus the whole being in jail thing. Felons can't donate, neither can anyone with history diseases, metal issues, homosexuals (I didn't make the rule, just reporting), even visiting an area with too large a population of people with aids disqualifies doners. Further family background checks are done, interviews with family often, genetic testing that takes 6 months looking for odds of genetic diseases, etc. About 5% of donors are approved, that's it.

Anyways, the vast majority of donors are actually college students (reported up to 90% in some cases) and most of the rest are walkins. Most do it for money, because donors get paid upwards of a few thousand dollars a year. I googled this when it was revealed the daddy was a donor to see if it was a clue to his identity because I still hadn't given up hope they do something with that plot line. No one I could figure did, unless samples purposely got switched odds are it's a nobody.

The other reason why I looked it up was because Spider-Woman's son in the MC2 universe (also named Gerry) got dome genetic disease or something because of Jessica's messed up dna.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

That came from her, not his Dad.

Spectacular Member

That came from her, not his Dad.
    That's what I said... it was a separate topic after talking about the open plot of who the father was.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm saving it for when Trump flames out. I want to see if somacula is still laughing at others discomfort.
    Ok Michael, thanks...I only hope you're right..

Regards

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Well Latour did mention at NYCC that Jess would always have a home in Gwen's book - and that's when we first started getting wind that the series (Spider-Woman) might get canceled. If Latour takes over Jess' book, I would not complain. He writes Jess well.
    Latour is good. He is the only writer who wrote a decent Winter Soldier after Brubaker imo.

That said, I get your disappointment Lord Ryus - I was initially slightly disappointed myself but I really do love this issue now. And I'm definitely intrigued to see how he wraps up the series in the next issue (Man. April is gonna be a sad month for me.)
    Just imagine my sadness. My two favorite Marvel books are ending in march...

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordRyus View Post
    I kinda agree, I think they where planning statue quo changes already but the controversy either speed up there random thoughts and they pulled something out fast.

Anyways, I think Spider-Woman should go full hero again. Maybe not Avenger, especially with all their bad stories atm, but at least drop the Private Eye biz. Jessica Jones will just steal her spotlight here because of the free marketing of Netflix and Bendis. While Jessica Drew was the Private Eye first it's kinda Jessica Jones only thing, Jessica Drew has had tons of roles and could easily shift better to a new one... plus her biggest claim to fame was reappearing in New Avengers, only die hards really know her past as a Private Eye and too many dropped Hopeless's run before that started either. To most people these days, she's an Avenger and Spy. She can still investogate stuff in either role so not much really has to change but optics.

She could join Carol perhaps, maybe do something with Silk, possibly Mockingbird, or maybe even Black Widow. All are kinda good possibilities atm. All offer benifits for Jessica.

Silk would keep everything at Spider Editorial so Jessica could have free reign to all the characters Spider-Man isn't using atm. Plus we could get back to the master and apprentice plot they had going (maybe even bring back Anya Corazon). This way she could stay in New York city and keep the Porcupine & single mom story in the forefront.

Tieing her in with Captain Marvel meaning they could hang out way more in both stories and Carol could give Jessica and crew things to investigate near the Triskellion (New York city, so again nothing drastic thus single mom stories could easily be told). Anya Corazon might be a good match her too as she's been trained by both Carol and Jess.

While Black Widow and Mockingbird usually mean Shield, they could easily rework it to fit in a location like New York city so Jessica could stay at home between missions/investigation.

To his credit, Hopeless got Jessica's personality mostly right. Though he majorly rushed her quiting the Avengers to just a few lines spread over 4 issues prior to it and the Mother thing was very 'OMG shocking cover read to find out more', my only real complaint there was Jessica historically hating kids or at least avoiding them and the whole 'who's the dad set up' that didn't actually reveal anything. I suppose a future writer now will get to pick the father one day, because it's too good a plot not to. I hope Hopeless doesn't regret leaving it open one day. Well, maybe that will be a shocking twist in next issue and Hopeless will get the last say here, lol.
    Good points LordRyus...

If some of these ladies are losing their individual titles I like the idea still that their paths can be crossed more and relationships can be intertwined...Jess, Bobbi and Natasha working together would be a strong combo..and Carol too, nice...I suppose we're going into the all ladies Defenders territory here...but I'm not saying there should be a team or team-up book (although wouldn't say no), and nor are you, it's more just support for joined up thinking about the relationships these characters have or can have with each other...I still want Jess to have her own book...

I'm happy that whatever Jess does next, it's with baby Gerry, and Roger, in tow...when the series started I resisted the idea of Jess being a mum...I preferred her being kick-arse, not wipe-arse.....but, I was converted and I really like the maternal aspect to her that's been developed..Hopeless etc have done a good job showing Jess juggling with both sides of her life..

I'm rambling a bit here, but I'm trying to say that with Jess, particularly as being a mum, having a feminine network of pals is a natural (not saying you have to be a mum for this ladies), and it's all the more fun that Jess' pals happen to be superheroines..

Jon
    Last edited by SplinteringHeart; 02-23-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm typing this from my phone, I apologize in advance for typos and many edits that are likely to come.

The issue is from Roger's point of view...while we get his internal dialogue of how awesome Jess is, there's a ton of action.
    Jess is kicking ass and also getting her ass kicked.
    Roger loves that Jess treats him as an equal and wises up to the fact that he's her sidekick and helps Jess out by throwing old Hobby off the balance.
    They all crash and Jess and Roger smooch before getting ready to go for another round with Hobgoblin(who is actually pretty impressed by Jessica s tenacity).
    Carol shows up and blows Hobgoblin and his cronies up, all the while making this grand speech about how she doesn't care that Jess is mad at her and begging Jess for forgiveness..
    Only to have her moment of redemption ruined because Roger and Jess have resumed making out ( though Jess is grateful if the thumbs up is any of indication).
    Carol seems to be somewhere between happy for Jess and a bit put out that her moment was...overshadowed?

I'm a bit torn..I am happy for Jess and Roger cause god knows Jess deserves a win. But I was really kinda hoping for Carol and Jess to hug it was out. Otherwise, fantastic issue...Fish nailed the action and Rosenberg the colors. Can't wait (and also dreading because it's the last issue) to see how Hopeless wraps it all up next month.
    Lets just tell it like it is - Carol is jealous that Jess is kissing Roger instead of her! LOL

I was pretty happy with this issue, but a bit put out that after all the angst over Bruce Banner's death a few issues back Jess just fires off a quick thumbs up. Seriously?! I mean - wow, feelings like a ping pong ball bouncing around. Weird, and I don't get that at all. It's not she was blaming Carol for wrecking her car, a man DIED! And Carol did act like a Galactus sized jerk and still has not apologized.

Yeah, I don't get that at all.

But if I ignore most of the final two pages, this was pretty damn good. Love the way Roger talks about Jess and her too stubborn to fall down attitude. It's a shame they don't have more issues to explore what his ex-wife said about this commitment issues.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Only she didn't really save him, Carol did.

I'm sorry but if that's the caliber of storytelling that the book could muster then it's not surprising sales are in the toilet.
    That was kind of my feeling too. Its fun to throw that kind of twist in from time to time, but considering this is the penultimate issue it did feel anti-climactic.

Like "let's all cheer for Jessica Drew, B-grade hero who does the best she can with what little she has."
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

yay, Roger! he's come ridiculously far as a character.

See, Carol swooping in didn't bother me in the least. I"m just sad the moment between her and Jess wasn't more dramatic. I do hope that we get more of them together in the last issue.

But I also can't help but wonder if part of that is because Margaret Stohl already addressed the issue in Captain Marvel and sorta robbed Hopeless of his story (this is my opinion. I've been thinking about this for awhile -though I did like that moment in Captain Marvel)- in the sense that he broke Carol and Jess up and he should've been the one to put them back together first.
    Last edited by Seren; 02-24-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

See, Carol swooping in didn't bother me in the least. I"m just sad the moment between her and Jess wasn't more dramatic. I do hope that we get more of them together in the last issue.

But I also can't help but wonder if part of that is because Margaret Stohl already addressed the issue in Captain Marvel and sorta robbed Hopeless of his story (this is my opinion. I've been thinking about this for awhile -though I did like that moment in Captain Marvel)- in the sense that he broke Carol and Jess up and he should've been the one to put them back together first.
    I agree. But things being as they are, I think Hopeless might have been better served by leaving their relationship in a kind of limbo, with both characters wanting to fix things but not really knowing how.

Sadly, as so often happens with these hero-fight stories, none of the characters act like actual human beings and they go from bitter enemies to best friends again as needed by the plot.

I think most of the MU heroes actually live on Gilligan's Island...

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

My only complaint is how they reconciled in this issue which I'm assuming despite this releasing about two months after mighty captain marvel issue zero that this is supposed to take place chronologically before that and it just felt so anticlimatic just a thumbs up? Yeah really anticlimatic especially when you consider the circumstances that led Jessica to ending up breaking up their long time friendship you'd think it would at least be something special something major in how they make up but no just a thumbs up? Yeah really disappointing.

I always felt they were destined to reconcile though it was inevitable much like how kamala and Carol are inevitably going to reconcile but I guess I was just expecting something really major and special like them talking about everything that has happened and forgiving each other and giving their friendship another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Something like this. I wonder...
    Is that Iron Fist smooching with Jessica?

Whose this Roger character people are mentioning? Isn't he the Porcupine?