Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

I like the new look better than her old one. Her old look always came off more gypsy than ninja to me. Plus, Strider is awesome. =) Overall, I really liked this issue. My only complaint was the "rawr men are bad! innocent women are victims!" theme that Marvel loves going to so much. I dare Marvel to flip the script just once and have a dude get raped by a woman and have the audience cheer as, I don't know, Punisher slaughters her. But, I don't think Marvel has the creative integrity for that these days.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

To be fair, Elektra has always been somewhat tied to the theme of abuse by men in positions of authority. It might be a tired trope now, but I kind of expect it to show up in her books.

I'm honestly surprised so many like the new look, I figured there would be more resistance to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    To be fair, Elektra has always been somewhat tied to the theme of abuse by men in positions of authority. It might be a tired trope now, but I kind of expect it to show up in her books.

I'm honestly surprised so many like the new look, I figured there would be more resistance to it.
    It's not bad. I just hate those baggy sleeves. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen with her sai getting caught in it.

Agreed. Her normal arm wraps would be perfection, imo.

I can dig it. Honestly, it wouldn't bother me at all if I felt like it could ever possibly go the other way. But, when things can/can't only happen to one group, well, that seems unjust to me. Hence my avatar -- unity!!

If the new look wasn't so close to what had been (successfully) introduced on Netflix, it probably would have been a tougher sell. Don't you think?

Understandable. It would be interesting to see a story in which a male character experienced that kind of abuse. I think it came up as one off scenarios decades ago, but I can't think of a recent example.

That's an interesting question, because I think Elektra fans (that post in the appreciation thread and on Twitter) are decently split on that as well, and that's honestly the only group I've really heard from. I partially think that, without the show connection, it might be better received. I think there's an ingrained wall that has to be breached when introducing change (especially with a character whose look has remained largely unchanged for about 30 years), and an additional ingrained wall to be breached when there is even the faintest whiff of synergy. I think people who aren't die hard fans are much more receptive. However, keep in mind that all this is just so much hot air from one person!

BANNED

Great first issue and interesting idea. Almost reminds me of Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Ha, they did have special dialogue together in that game, didn't they?

Understandable. It would be interesting to see a story in which a male character experienced that kind of abuse. I think it came up as one off scenarios decades ago, but I can't think of a recent example.

That's an interesting question, because I think Elektra fans (that post in the appreciation thread and on Twitter) are decently split on that as well, and that's honestly the only group I've really heard from. I partially think that, without the show connection, it might be better received. I think there's an ingrained wall that has to be breached when introducing change (especially with a character whose look has remained largely unchanged for about 30 years), and an additional ingrained wall to be breached when there is even the faintest whiff of synergy. I think people who aren't die hard fans are much more receptive. However, keep in mind that all this is just so much hot air from one person!
    Great comments! I think you've got some really accurate thoughts on all these points. It's also interesting to me when a character gets a spotlight to see fans emerge. Like, I never knew there were so many Elektra fans. I'm a Daredevil fan, so my interest in Elektra has always been tangential. How long have you been an Elektra fan? Is she your favorite character as your avatar implies?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    I like the new look better than her old one. Her old look always came off more gypsy than ninja to me. Plus, Strider is awesome. =) Overall, I really liked this issue. My only complaint was the "rawr men are bad! innocent women are victims!" theme that Marvel loves going to so much. I dare Marvel to flip the script just once and have a dude get raped by a woman and have the audience cheer as, I don't know, Punisher slaughters her. But, I don't think Marvel has the creative integrity for that these days.
    Dude, it's Las Vegas. I don't have data at hand, but I bet most abuse victims there are women. I don't see any agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Great comments! I think you've got some really accurate thoughts on all these points. It's also interesting to me when a character gets a spotlight to see fans emerge. Like, I never knew there were so many Elektra fans. I'm a Daredevil fan, so my interest in Elektra has always been tangential. How long have you been an Elektra fan? Is she your favorite character as your avatar implies?
    I've been a fan since around 2005 or so when I watched the terrible Fox films. While the movies were not great, the little documentary accompanying the both in the special features really intrigued me, and made me seek out the comics (didn't grow up reading them, didn't even know who Elektra was until the films).

While the character is an awesome killing machine, the underlying themes established by Miller and added to by writers like Zeb Wells and Haden Blackman are what make her relatable, interesting, and my favorite character. It's kind of funny, while she started (and still is, I guess) as a Daredevil character, my interest in him is only tangential.

I've been a fan since around 2005 or so when I watched the terrible Fox films. While the movies were not great, the little documentary accompanying the both in the special features really intrigued me, and made me seek out the comics (didn't grow up reading them, didn't even know who Elektra was until the films).

While the character is an awesome killing machine, the underlying themes established by Miller and added to by writers like Zeb Wells and Haden Blackman are what make her relatable, interesting, and my favorite character. It's kind of funny, while she started (and still is, I guess) as a Daredevil character, my interest in him is only tangential.
    Wow! It's pretty cool that a true fandom could emerge from that movie! I mean, look, it's not as bad as Batman & Robin. But, it sure is pretty bad. =) Elektra is definitely a cool character. What hopes and dreams do you have for the future of the new series?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Dude, it's Las Vegas. I don't have data at hand, but I bet most abuse victims there are women. I don't see any agenda.
    Ah, yes, and Marvel Comics is all about the status quo majority and perpetuating stereotypes? Try making more of the criminals black/African American and let me know how that goes O_o

I actually started reading the character after the Daredevil movie. Didn't know anything about her before that and then got into the comic books and realized she was even more interesting in that world. Have been a fan since and will read almost anything she appears in.

As for her "new" costume. I like it. but her arms need a little more coverage and the neck/face and arm wraps need to be less baggy. Here's a quick edit of it:

I was underwhelmed by this. I'll give it another issue, but can't see me sticking with it. I love Elektra as a character, but still don't think she's ever been done justice in a book since Miller.

So, for people who got into Elektra because of the 2003 film, did you watch her solo movie that came out a bit after that? How was it compared to the original?