Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Global warming is real!!!!!

It's 71 degrees right now, officially making today the warmest February day ever recorded in Boston history. The previous record was 65 degrees in 1990. This is not how February is supposed to feel. It seems that in recent years global warming is considered to be less of an issue than it was a decade ago when in fact it's a hundred times more urgent. A few days ago, Congress cut NASA's funding for global warming and earth science research. The whole reason for that was because Trump, and Pennsylvania representative Bob Walker both agreed that NASA should focus more on space exploration instead of "politically correct environmental monitoring."
    The International Union for the Conservation of Nature revealed that at least 700 different species of birds are negatively impacted by climate change. Other species such as elephants and different primates have trouble adjusting to changing conditions and also have slow reproductive rates, they too are extremely vulnerable. Some mammals have specialized diets and are under an existing threat of habitat degradation, therefore they face additional challenges from climate change.
    Many risk assessments are simply blind to the fact that climate change is actually happening right now. With everything you read it always talks about how things could get bad in the future; no. It's bad NOW. This is the future. We were warned and shit got even worse. However, it isn't too late to act.
    If you truly love your planet and this shit is scares you as much as it scares me, you need to speak up. Call your local representative and let them know how urgent this is. People always want to say that never works but it really does. If enough people call their local reps, one office will reach out to another office to see if they're getting the same calls; then a discussion will begin. It may not seem like much but just the fact that you are partly responsible for bringing an issue to someone's attention and therefore starting a discussion about it means the WORLD.
    This planet is so precious and so beautiful and it is dying. We need to face this issue and do all that we can to protect the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    It's 71 degrees right now, officially making today the warmest February day ever recorded in Boston history. The previous record was 65 degrees in 1990. This is not how February is supposed to feel.
    The previous record wasn't 65. It was 70 according to a WBZ-TV graphic on air yesterday. There were four days 68 and above measures in Boston and they were pretty much spread out over the last 80 years. This neither proves, not disproves global warming. It's a very small collection of data points dwelling in the tail of a probability distribution.

Also, the weather is not supposed to feel like anything. It usually feels like certain patterns during particular seasons, but there are always exceptions. If you're anywhere around Boston, you should have realized this. Saying "supposed to" ignores the natural fluctuations which have happened since hundreds of million years ago.

A hot day in February isn't proof of global warming and snowfall in May isn't proof it isn't happening.

'A' hot day.

I was in Ohio all of January and half of February. It snowed twice.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You want to see something really scary, google the Larsen Ice Shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    'A' hot day.

I was in Ohio all of January and half of February. It snowed twice.
    In the 57 Januaries and 57 Februaries I've been in Massachusetts, sometimes it has only snowed twice. The evidence cited in the OP is not proof of global warming. I'm not stating it doesn't exist, I'm stating the evidence provided is poor. It's akin to a global warming denier stating that since it snowed in May, Global Warming is false.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    In the 57 Januaries and 57 Februaries I've been in Massachusetts, sometimes it has only snowed twice. The evidence cited in the OP is not proof of global warming. I'm not stating it doesn't exist, I'm stating the evidence provided is poor. It's akin to a global warming denier stating that since it snowed in May, Global Warming is false.
    Sometimes people confuse weather with climate.
    I'd much rather that people stop using "global warming" and use "global climate change" instead. In order to prevent the confusion.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

^That's why the term fell out of style as soon as Always Gore made it mainstream, because small minded politicians twisted its meaning.

This thread is 5 hours old and it only has 6 replies. This lack of interest in the topic is really damning for our country. I don't necessarily condone rioting over police injustice or that sort of thing (though it is more productive than complaining on the internet), but I wish people were passionate enough about climate change to gather in as large numbers as we saw last month.

Cthulhu's Accountant Shining Trapezohedron's Avatar

I only wish someone would take it to climate change deniers in a catchy tune...oh good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h74DTdTlCk
    ...may be NSFW, I can't tell.

"[After setting your car on fire] 'Your car's temperature has changed before.'"
    https://xkcd.com/1732/

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Global warming has been going on since Humans discovered how to make a fire.
    No it hasn't there were several ice ages humans have lived through. It is the burning of fosil fuels that has done this.

Astonishing Member

Even if you think climate change isn't real (it is), there's still many very good reasons to pursue green and renewable energy sources.
    Last edited by wjowski; 02-25-2017 at 12:14 PM.

BB

Climate change: How do we know?

The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is very likely human-induced and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented in the past 1,300 years.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2 Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    The use of a meme - ONE word and one image (and what an image) - as a commentary about such a subject says it all.

A post that could be funny if the reality wasn't worst than anything I read in this thread and the answers even harder to find and to sustain...