Fantastic Member

Default What origins would you choose for the joker

I get it, everyone likes that it's truly a mystery, even with the stories like red hood, the killing. I like best the arc in Barman confidential, where joker was a bodyguard/slash assassin who went mad seeing the batman.

If I could choose a beginning for the joker, I would kinda base it of confidenital arc but have it he wanted to be the first hero, who trained his one as hard as Bruce. But on seeing the batman, felt that being an enemy to the bat would bring greater change for good.

An thats the joke, he's letting batman be the hero. So thats why he choose to be the joker. An he pushes batman to brink always to make sure that all he gave up was worth it.

Anyway what would be ideal origin for joker, justifying what he is

Like Wolverine, we should never know the Joker's true origins. I suppose two out of 20,000+ characters is just too much for creators and fans to deal with. That said, I like the idea that he's a failed comedian/performance artist turned to crime. Sort of like an extremely violent Andy Kaufman.

I'm in the Joker shouldn't have an Origin camp. The fact that Batman knows nothing about him is one of the few things I like about the Joker.

Fantastic Member

Origins is different to identity. Know one what's to know who he truly is. But the build up to his appearance or his motives can be guessed at.

Being the comedian who failed to his wife, who went super crazy, and finds the joke in that, that's great. The joker who took to crime under the red hood in synder run is origin but we still don't know his idenity.

Astonishing Member

I think at this point, the Red Hood aspect to his origin is pretty much firmly cemented in canon. Its the only way Jason Todd being Red Hood makes sense, and its been a fact in comic-book continuity since 1951!

That said, one of my personal headcanon origins for the Joker is that he was once a GCPD cop who, like Jim Gordon, wanted to fight crime and corruption. He tried to take on the Mob, and corrupt cops, but didn't succeed and only put himself in a precarious position, professionally and even in terms of the safety of his life and family. Then, Batman showed up and became a hero for taking down corrupt cops and ganglords and he started to resent Batman a bit for doing what he wanted to do and not having to face the consequences. Then, his wife and kids are murdered (by one of the monsters and/or corrupt cops he tried to take down), and this sends him on a downward spiral. He figures out that the only way to take down the corrupt is to be like Batman and not follow the rules, so he adopts the identity of 'Red Hood' and starts destroying and/or stealing from the Mob. During one of his 'revenge missions', he shows up at Ace Chemicals, and ends up in an altercation with Batman, falls into the vat of chemicals, and by then his already unhinged mind snaps, coupled with the scarring and white face/green hair, and he becomes the Joker.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think at this point, the Red Hood aspect to his origin is pretty much firmly cemented in canon. Its the only way Jason Todd being Red Hood makes sense, and its been a fact in comic-book continuity since 1951!

That said, one of my personal headcanon origins for the Joker is that he was once a GCPD cop who, like Jim Gordon, wanted to fight crime and corruption. He tried to take on the Mob, and corrupt cops, but didn't succeed and only put himself in a precarious position, professionally and even in terms of the safety of his life and family. Then, Batman showed up and became a hero for taking down corrupt cops and ganglords and he started to resent Batman a bit for doing what he wanted to do and not having to face the consequences. Then, his wife and kids are murdered (by one of the monsters and/or corrupt cops he tried to take down), and this sends him on a downward spiral. He figures out that the only way to take down the corrupt is to be like Batman and not follow the rules, so he adopts the identity of 'Red Hood' and starts destroying and/or stealing from the Mob. During one of his 'revenge missions', he shows up at Ace Chemicals, and ends up in an altercation with Batman, falls into the vat of chemicals, and by then his already unhinged mind snaps, coupled with the scarring and white face/green hair, and he becomes the Joker.
    This, basically the idea but you said it tens better. The thing with joker being so evil and insane, is that at some point he most of been really be good. Even to make sense of the killing joke or even Nolan dark knight. He most of been a good person who was sent over the edge.

An for it to be a kind of twisted love relationship with batman, even if it's one sided, which it's not I don't believe, Joker must only do what he does to elevate batman to a certain status. That's why I believe there should some sort of origin for him, not revelation of identiy but origin of the idenity that being the joker a tragic joke
    Last edited by Shriveling_memo; 02-23-2017 at 01:36 PM.

How about having Joker as a kid in some circus and Joker murders his mother. Then Joker gets sent to prison but is sprung by the nefarious Mayor of Gotham city and goes on a reign of terror.
    The Mayor throws an election celebration and Joker crashes the party but the Mayor kills Joker. Later on Joker is reanimated but the person trying to bring Joker back to life thinks he has
    failed and cuts Joker's face off and wears it as a mask. But Joker is alive again after all, sans a face. Joker kills the guy and staples his face back on. Bruce Wayne confronts Joker, beats Joker
    up, and Joker is sent back to prison.