Default Artemis and the outlaws

Is anyone reading this? I haven't seen like a discussion or anything. I think the book is pretty good! She's getting the delvelopment full time like she needs.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Is anyone reading this? I haven't seen like a discussion or anything. I think the book is pretty good! She's getting the delvelopment full time like she needs.
    I'm not, but I do keep hearing it's good. Does Artemis have any connection with Diana?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Diana is mentioned. I think next month it will reveal her connection to Diana I'm wondering if they are cousins this time

The only connection is the fact Banas are mentioned. So we know there is another amazon tribe.

Incredible Member

I had pretty much sworn off all things Scott Lobdell because just about the only thing he's written that I remember enjoying was Generation X, but I read some good reviews of this, gave it a shot, and have been quite enjoying it. Jason Todd is the main voice, and the depth of Artemis' characterization is mostly kept right now to extremely skilled, exceedingly confident, and snide (peppered with a few nice human moments), but I imagine that's changing with the next story line as they chase down the Bow of Ra.
    Last edited by Frank; 02-23-2017 at 12:20 PM.

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #8
    Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
    Art and cover by guest artist KENNETH ROCAFORT
    Variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “WHO IS ARTEMIS?” prologue! As Red Hood and the Outlaws gear up for their journey to Bana-Mighdall, shocking secrets from Artemis’ past come to light! Who is this mysterious Amazon warrior? What is her relation to Wonder Woman? And what makes her quest for the Bow of Ra so personal? Answers to all this and more in a thrilling new adventure with your favorite band of misfits!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah this is one of the Rebirth books that have pleasantly surprised me and I'm getting a big kick out of Lobdell's Artemis. I actually think this snarky schtick is working better for her than a lot of her former characterizations! She's super cheeky and condescending towards Jason, but it reads more like "banter" than "bitterness" and there are various moments that show her wisdom and maturity as well.

The only reason I'm buying the book is because of ARTEMIS not a big fan of BIZARRO or the RED HOOD hopefully in time dc will give her.her own ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    The only reason I'm buying the book is because of ARTEMIS not a big fan of BIZARRO or the RED HOOD hopefully in time dc will give her.her own ongoing.
    I'm only buying because of Artemis. I like Jason Todd, but I wouldn't support him unless a wonder character is in it or anything.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Artemis is great in this book!

I'm constantly baffled by how this is the same writer who utterly ruined Cassie and the rest of the Teen Titans, because his Artemis is just about perfect. She strong, hyper-competent, and even possesses a snarky sense of humor that makes her quite endearing.

I love her banter with Jason. She's snarky and abusive, but it always seems to be a more affectionate thing. She's not knocking him because she genuinely doesn't respect him, she just seems to enjoy giving him a hard time.

Fun book, but I definitely want to see Artemis show up in Diana's books from time to time as well. Wouldn't do to let people forget from whence she came.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Incredible Member

Of preview: Red Hood and the Outlaws #8

I like that Shim'tar looks like a counter to Diana. Armor and all.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Of preview: Red Hood and the Outlaws #8
    Hopefully Artemis beats her and become the champion of the Banas and steal her costume! She needs to be the Shim'tar of her tribe

Amazing Member

Hopefully Artemis beats her and become the champion of the Banas and steal her costume! She needs to be the Shim'tar of her tribe
    Is it too much to ask for Akila to be allowed more than five minutes in the role? No hostility toward you intended, but Artemis has already bumped her out of the position once (off panel). I'm not interested in watching it happen again.

Akila was one of the rare examples of a named non-Themysciran Amazon with a purpose beyond dying in another random event or proving Amazonian stereotypes. She was a scholar tasked with venturing out into the world at a young age and gaining a college education. When she returned to the Banas, she was different. Every experience for her was filtered through a different lens than that of her fellow Amazons. It's what made her the perfect choice to represent the Banas in the outside world.

If the role of Shim'Tar was still a title meant for the greatest warrior like it was back in the Perez days, maybe I could understand a push for Artemis to take on the role. But, the role of Shim'Tar was a diplomatic one. She was meant to speak on behalf the Banas within Amazonian society. Akila wasn't a warrior, she was an engineer.

Sorry for the rant, it's just... Artemis isn't the only good Bana Amazon. My frustration isn't directed at you, I'm just afraid that what you are suggesting is exactly what will happen in the comic.

And that would be a waste, in my opinion. Akila filled the smart guy role in Diana's posse and was possibly a mage (her armor was a mixture of science and magic). She was an attempt to expand Wonder Woman's world.

I look at her new costume and the reclamation of her title, and I see possibilities. Hopefully they won't be squandered.

Hopefully Artemis beats her and become the champion of the Banas and steal her costume!
    Please, no. Artemis has a near perfect outfit I'd hate to see replaced. What's funny is as much as I hated the hip boots Diana wore with that atrocious Finch armor is as much as I like Artemis's similar look in RHOTO. It's amazing what squaring off the points and turning them into shin guards did for their appeal.