Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Cool Nightwing: The Movie directed by Chris 'LEGO BATMAN' McKay

I know there is a Dick Grayson thread. But this is great news, and will lead to many developments that are movie-only developments. So no need to tie up the comic thread.

NIGHTWING Film In The Works At Warner Bros. From THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE Director Chris McKay

On the heels of the announcement that Matt Reeves will helm The Batman, THR is reporting that Warner Bros. also has plans for a movie focusing on Nightwing, who, as DC Comics fan will be well aware, began his superhero career as the original Robin.

The LEGO Batman Movie director Chris McKay is apparently in talks to helm the picture, which would mark the big-screen debut of Dick Grayson... in live-action form, at any rate. Of course, McKay previously brought us an animated version of the character, as voiced by Michael Cera.

Bill Dubuque (The Accountant) is writing the screenplay, but we have no word on who'll be producing the film.

A little warm-up before the real show.

The Hollywood Reporter write-up on why this may be even better news.

Why 'Nightwing' Might Signal a Change in Direction for DC's Cinematic Universe

In many ways, that last element was the beginning of the end for Dick Grayson, boy wonder. Although his stayed in the Robin role through 1984 — he quit in New Teen Titans No. 39 — he had become increasingly estranged from Batman throughout the 1960s and '70s. On a narrative level, it made sense — he was growing older, had his own friends (Teen Titans, with Robin in the leadership role alongside fellow sidekicks Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, Speedy and Aqualad, launched in 1964's The Brave and The Bold No. 54) and had already ditched the "Boy Wonder" tagline in favor of the more awkward "Teen Wonder."

All of these experiences didn't just prepare him to go it alone as "Nightwing" (He took on that identity in 1984's Tales of the Teen Titans No. 44), they also ensured that he would be a more carefree, fun-loving crimefighter than his former mentor. His early childhood in the circus might have left him with both acrobatic skills and an understanding of the value of teamwork, but it was growing up surrounded by other superheroes — and surviving attacks by all kinds of supervillains — that ensured that Dick Grayson would be someone that understood his life was at once both ridiculous and, on occasion, extremely dangerous, making him all the more appreciative of those around him.

Today, Dick Grayson belongs at the center of a social circle that includes the "Bat-family" — Batman and various associates — as well as Superman, the no-longer-teen Titans and the spy organization known as Spyral. He has a "best frenemy" in the form of Midnighter, star of DC's Midnighter and Apollo series, and he remains someone others look to to put things in perspective. He is, in many ways, a superhero who sees his job as fun… which might put him at odds with the rest of DC's cinematic universe, as it currently stands.

In pure story terms, there is space for Nightwing to exist — while Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad teased a dead Robin, it wasn't definitively stated that this was Dick Grayson, and Ben Affleck playing an older Batman allows for a former Robin to have grown into an adult himself. Tonally, however, it'll be interesting to see if Nightwing breaks from what's gone before cinematically and stays true to its comic book roots, or vice versa.

This is unreal. I'm not going to believe this for a few months, just out of habit.

But if it is true, dear God in heaven PLEASE let this Nightwing take cues from Grayson. Please. Please. please please please please please.

Please.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    This is unreal. I'm not going to believe this for a few months, just out of habit.

But if it is true, dear God in heaven PLEASE let this Nightwing take cues from Grayson. Please. Please. please please please please please.

Please.
    You mean the fan trailer?

Oh my gosh no. No, I do not.

Edit: I'm assuming that was a joke, but in case it wasnt, I was referring to the comic series Grayson, in which Dick is a spy.

Whoa, Nightwing is one of the last characters I would think of to get a movie any time soon. I'm pleasantly surprised.

my life will be complete...
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Oh my gosh no. No, I do not.

Edit: I'm assuming that was a joke, but in case it wasnt, I was referring to the comic series Grayson, in which Dick is a spy.

{chuckles}

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I hope this is true, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Nightwing hasn't gotten that much of a push in other media, I don't think casual fans are aware or know much about him, so it is a bit surprising they would jump to a movie with him. The cynic in me thinks it might be for insurance if Ben plans on not being Batman for that long. It is an interesting development at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I hope this is true, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
    Keep the faith!

My head just literally exploded.

Honestly best news this week. I'm happy that this might actually happen in my life before I die, I almost gave up hope lmao but WB finally knows that Nightwing exists!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

McKay/Dubuque are a sincerely awesome team to do a couple months' work on a great Nightwing movie, leave over 'creative differences', have all their material scrapped, and get replaced by someone closer to Snyder's aesthetic who won't have the clout to rock the boat against whatever the studio wants the movie to look like.
    Buh-bye