Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

I am finding this very bleak. Does it end with everyone dead? I fear we may lose HB and at least one of the other core three.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Somehow Hellboy will be around until the end of the world with Hecate, I'm assuming this is from a spiritual realm and not to be taken literally.

Abe is the new race of man, the hyper-evolved frog form, so I'm guessing he will be around to help shepherd in the new era of humanity.

I think Liz is literally going to scorch the world, I predict this will be the end of her as she unleashes all of her powers destroying everything on the surface.

In any case, yes it is very bleak and dire, and they've seen it come for a while, but it never compromised the good in them, and they are facing their end on their own terms. I think that's very heroic, like the Norse gods facing Ragnarok, knowing it's the ultimate end but choosing to fight anyways. We all face death, it's inevitable, like Hellboy doing the stuff he will do, but it's how we face death and the end that defines us.

Fantastic Member

Okay guys, we’re one week from the penultimate issue of B.P.R.D, and it is bound to be a big one. We have Kroenen’s thoughts on what is to come, but what does everyone else think? Is Hellboy bound to destroy everything? Will any of The Big Three make it out of this final conflict alive? Will Hecate show her face?

I am HYYYYYYPED.

A lot to wrap up in two issues. I’m staying optimistic but...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    A lot to wrap up in two issues. I’m staying optimistic but...
    Yeah... After how good B.p.r.d. was for 15 years, this last story (that we've all been waiting for) has been reeEEally underwhelming, to a point it really hurts my love for the whole Mignolaverse. When you know the ending is this bad, do you really want to reread the whole thing? I can't believe John Arcudi left so close to the end. Everything is so disjointed I can barely follow anything that is happening. Sigh... I just... This whole thing is reminding me of Abe Sapien and how underwhelming the whole series was. I think most of us saw it coming when Scott Allie took the lead but I guess we just hoped for the better.

Hopefully when I reread the whole thing in a few years it will pass better.
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 03-13-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    Yeah... After how good B.p.r.d. was for 15 years, this last story (that we've all been waiting for) has been reeEEally underwhelming, to a point it really hurts my love for the whole Mignolaverse. When you know the ending is this bad, do you really want to reread the whole thing? I can't believe John Arcudi left so close to the end. Everything is so disjointed I can barely follow anything that is happening. Sigh... I just... This whole thing is reminding me of Abe Sapien and how underwhelming the whole series was. I think most of us saw it coming when Scott Allie took the lead but I guess we just hoped for the better.

Hopefully when I reread the whole thing in a few years it will pass better.
    My impression (and I could be way off) is that it’s this close to the end because Arcudi left. He left saying he didn’t know how to top himself without repeating himself (or something along those lines on the Robots From Tomorrow podcast) and at the time we were still hearing cycle 3 would be as long as the last two. I think once Arcudi left, Mignola and Allie still wanted to tell the story they had planned, but cut the overall length way down. Again, speculation on my part, but it seems to line up

I haven’t hated the output, but it seems awfully brief for so much build up.

I just wish Mignola would have taken the reigns for the last cycle, given how short it ended up. Brevity and anti climax are a strength of his, and it might have worked better?

I think the vampires are a prime example of this. Their cast off worked in a humorous Mignola style, but it also felt like a “**** it, no time” move.

I say all this with no idea what or if anything is planned to follow. We could easily get a book focusing on the underground post BPRD, Hellboy could return to Hell for the type of stories Mignola initially talked about using the title for... but mostly it feels like he just wants to be done, and the rushed nature of the titles ending seems to line up with that.

I hope they land it, but I don’t know how you satisfactorily tie up 25 years of world building with two issues left and so many lingering plot threads unresolved. Certainly isn’t how I imagined this playing out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I haven’t hated the output, but it seems awfully brief for so much build up.

I just wish Mignola would have taken the reigns for the last cycle, given how short it ended up. Brevity and anti climax are a strength of his, and it might have worked better?

I think the vampires are a prime example of this. Their cast off worked in a humorous Mignola style, but it also felt like a “**** it, no time” move.

I say all this with no idea what or if anything is planned to follow. We could easily get a book focusing on the underground post BPRD, Hellboy could return to Hell for the type of stories Mignola initially talked about using the title for... but mostly it feels like he just wants to be done, and the rushed nature of the titles ending seems to line up with that.

I hope they land it, but I don’t know how you satisfactorily tie up 25 years of world building with two issues left and so many lingering plot threads unresolved. Certainly isn’t how I imagined this playing out.
    I’m totally sympathetic to this viewpoint. It has been short, especially since we were initially expecting something of similar length to Plague of Frogs. Guess the proof will be in the pudding. These last two issues have a bunch of ground to cover if it is indeed the end, but I think it’s gonna be good.

I don’t at all agree with the above sentiment (Fred_25) that this is written anything like Abe Sapien, which was a disjointed, weird, meandering journey where the series focus was hidden until very late in the day. Devil You Know is really focused, mythology laden action story that’s paying off a bunch of previous storylines. If I didn’t know better, I’d be shocked to find out they were written by the same person.

Still don’t really understand why so many people dislike the Abe series so vehemently. It’s fairly solid, well written, and tells us a lot about who Abe is. The last five issues specifically are ridiculously brilliant. Could it have been half the length that it was and told us the same story? Yes. It’s still required reading though.

Amazing Member

For me it just feels like Mignola is done with most of this. It has felt like this since he annonced the ending of Hellboy in Hell. He has every right to, mind you. Mignola has been cranking out awesome stuff in the Hellboyverse for more than 25 years. He's my hero. Its just too bad he seems to have lost interest towards the end. I had the same problem with the sudden end to In Hell (mind you, unlike the current Bprd arc, I loved every issue of in Hell).

I don't know, I remember how so many fans were so excited about the idea of Hellboy coming back to the bprd one day and the potential behind it. And this just hasn't been very exciting afterall. At least to me. Maybe i'm the only one just not loving this. Hopefully i'll get to down the line. Been reading Hellboy for 15 years now. I just miss Arcudi.
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 03-13-2019 at 03:26 PM.

The "Devil You Know story" arc feels kind of like Hellboy in Hell to me. It was originally planned to go many more issues, but at a certain point he realized it made sense to wrap it up sooner instead of drawing it out. And then maybe having Hellboy's story in Hell wrap up sooner also accelerated the B.P.R.D. timelines since he could return to earth to finish the story.

Preview pages for #14 are up at Dark Horse's site if anyone is interested.

Fantastic Member

Four pages of jerks being jerks. Get hyyyyyped.

Not going to spoil it, but glad to see those guys back...it's been a while.

Say what you will about Allie’s writing; but Laurence Campbell is a fucking treasure. His previous work in universe was great bur his work on TDYK is some of my all time favorite. Campbell manages to tell us so much with his art, and he’s a perfect fit for the balls to the wall pacing of TDYK. His work on issue 14 is some of my favorite in the overall Mignolaverse.

Amazing Member

Art was very, very good. Glad you gave me the option to say what I will about the writing though :P