Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I just saw the Dark Horse solicitations for September. It looks like no B.P.R.D. that month

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    I just saw the Dark Horse solicitations for September. It looks like no B.P.R.D. that month
    I guess the first arc is only two issues. I suspect since Scott Allie is writing, it'll have breaks between arcs so he can balance both editing and writing.

Laurence Campbell posted this on Facebook about it:
    "People may of noticed that BPRD is not in the latest solicitations. Unfortunately a close member of my family is ill and this has had an impact on my work. Special thanks to Scott, Mike, Katii and John along with close friends and the NHS for their support. I'm back drawing now and enjoying it. Thank you for your patience."

Ah, well there you have it. Thanks for that, hope all is well with Laurence's family soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Ah, well there you have it. Thanks for that, hope all is well with Laurence's family soon!
    I agree, family is more important than comic books.

I like the shorter arcs - they were the best thing about the comicsthat I grew up reading, and, often, Hellboy is such a throwback to those days. I wish I had a trade full of them.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Spectacular Member

Just read the new issue, I'm feeling some trepidation already about Allie as the main author. How he handled Tian just seemed incredibly weak in staging and pacing.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    Just read the new issue, I'm feeling some trepidation already about Allie as the main author. How he handled Tian just seemed incredibly weak in staging and pacing.
    Just read it myself. Overall it was a really solid intro to where everyone is and I enjoy the even darker (somehow) tone as things didn't just magically get better. Tian dying was sad but he was maybe two panels above redshirt so some drawn out death wouldn't feel right to me. I enjoyed that he just died fighting some monsters as it does a good job of reminding us that killing the jahad didn't fix everything. I feel that jolt was needed to start this off.

Pacing wise I consider it fine. It was quick as a fight should be and he was properly mourned. Again I don't feel as if it was any different from any other soldier deaths in terms of pacing.

My only issue is i'm not sure I like devon as leader. He's a good character and it makes sense but I already miss the actually friendly relationship everyone had even though I know it can't exist right now.
    Last edited by legendx66; 07-26-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    I thought it was really well done, personally. These guys have been through the ringer in so many ways so many times. They know there will be time to mourn later, but in the heat of a battle against mindless monsters, the fight instinct would have to trump everything and anything else. They're trained soldiers who know the risks they face. To have paused and drawn the death scene out would be detrimental to the pacing in my opinion, and would downplay the brutality of this world for new readers. All just my opinion/thoughts on it of course.

I really liked this. I had reservations about Allie, but I thought he did a really good job here.

Though, to be honest, Campbell plays a large part in this issue working. Without him and Stewart, I'm not sure this would have been as enjoyable for me.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I thought this was a damn solid introduction to the new status quo and the cast. I'm pretty excited to see how this goes forward.

I enjoyed it as well... lot of threads to follow in the coming issues. Super happy to see a certain head in a jar return.

I am surprised no one has mention the Liz and Howards kiss...

I am just happy to have BPRD back to be honest.

Fantastic Member

I loved this, but then I loved Abe too. This doesn't feel the same as that anyway.

I missed the kiss first time around. Thanks for pointing it out.

I liked the issue, more horror and less epic than the last two arcs from Arcudi. Also, Von Klemp working with Varvara probably will gonna be fun!
    The first time i read Seed of Evil, Kroenen looked like the most bad ass visuals of the frozen nazis, but he never was the highlight of any story... I think it would be interesting to read more about him.
    What do you guys think is going on with Abe?

The return of BPRD is a breath of fresh air for the Mignola-verse. I have enjoyed the series we've been getting inbetween, some great stuff going on whilst at times quieter, smaller stuff also going on. Sometimes it is nice to explore the less epic parts of the much great story. But yeah, I really had missed BPRD.

Missed the kiss too, guess I saw her dropping him off and didn't pay attention to how close they were. I suppose Liz and Howards are now the two super-agents left for now, so I can see why they'd get close. Hope those two can find a little happiness in this bleak world.
    Tian dying, meh. But yes, people we like will die, it's inevitable.

I can't explain it, and I know the team has constantly told us "He's gone" but I have this little feeling, an inkling, that Hellboy will come back into this world, before the end of the run of this series. They wouldn't and couldn't tell us if that is the case, it would spoil such an epic return, so I just feel the wool has been pulled over our eyes, whilst they gear up for a big "HELL YES!" kind of situation, otherwise not sure where BPRD can go - aside a slow miserable descent into nothingness. That would temper such a great creation. Plus The last series felt like a victory (of sorts) but it's not the end.

So the pieces are being set on the board - Abe, Strode, Varvara... I was thinking Eris, who is with Fenix, might be Varvara. Not as sure now.

Edit: I can't find the info right now, is Eris Fenix's sister? it's been a while since I read that part of her story.

Oh and Devon... yeah, never going to trust him.
    Last edited by timbolton; 07-28-2017 at 01:24 AM.