Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Is there a reason there was no BPRD in September?

Just life throwing curve balls as it sometimes does, which delayed Laurence Campbell.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

I found issue 3 to be fantastic! Really loved all the dialogue between Liz and Abe. I won't spoil anything, but head over to Multiversity/Mignolaversity for an excellent discussion featuring everybody's favorite continuity tracker, Mr. Tweedale.

And is it just my imagination or is the cover stock thicker this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    I found issue 3 to be fantastic! Really loved all the dialogue between Liz and Abe. I won't spoil anything, but head over to Multiversity/Mignolaversity for an excellent discussion featuring everybody's favorite continuity tracker, Mr. Tweedale.

And is it just my imagination or is the cover stock thicker this issue?
    That review clocked in at nearly 4000 words. Mike and I basically reached the point where we were like, "Look, we have so much more we still want to discuss, but we have to end this thing." Seriously, this was one hell of a packed issue.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm loving how dense and character driven this story is; and what's impressive is that despite all the loose threads so far the book doesn't feel jumbled; it still has a feeling of cohesiveness. That said, these last three issues have been a lot of set up, a lot of which we needed in order to really sell the new status quo but I'm growing a little worried that the plot is going to fall into the trap of spending too much time at the start and not leaving enough room for the middle which leads to the end feeling rushed. It's happened a few times in the past where the ending felt a little unearned but I don't think there has been a story thus far with this large of an introductory chapter.

Yeah, I thought this was pretty good. I had concerns about Allie writing this book, but I've really enjoyed it so far. Campbell's art is a large part of that, though.

Great issue. Incredible art. Beautiful book.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm loving how dense and character driven this story is; and what's impressive is that despite all the loose threads so far the book doesn't feel jumbled; it still has a feeling of cohesiveness. That said, these last three issues have been a lot of set up, a lot of which we needed in order to really sell the new status quo but I'm growing a little worried that the plot is going to fall into the trap of spending too much time at the start and not leaving enough room for the middle which leads to the end feeling rushed. It's happened a few times in the past where the ending felt a little unearned but I don't think there has been a story thus far with this large of an introductory chapter.
    It seems my initial concerns are holding true, this issue continued to have that very fractured feel despite the feeling at the end of the last issue that things were coming together. That disconnected feel really makes this issue feel like just more of the same, giving the story a feeling of just treading water rather than really going anywhere. They need to bring some real cohesion to the book, and they need to do it fast.

Spectacular Member

I really hope they don't bring Roger back

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It seems my initial concerns are holding true, this issue continued to have that very fractured feel despite the feeling at the end of the last issue that things were coming together. That disconnected feel really makes this issue feel like just more of the same, giving the story a feeling of just treading water rather than really going anywhere. They need to bring some real cohesion to the book, and they need to do it fast.
    I agree about last issue. This issue felt like they are moving a little faster. But I also agree that they need to move quickly with this build up.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    I really hope they don't bring Roger back
    I wouldn't mind more Flashback stories with Roger, or Hellboy meeting up with him in Purgatory some how...but back alive? Definitely not.

Fantastic Member

Devil’s advocate time:

I was a big fan of Roger, his story, and his death, and don’t want to see it undone, but here’s the thing...

A resurrection doesn’t necessarily have to be an undoing in good storytelling. If it has a cost, and a significant one, and isn’t glossed over in a couple of months, if it has implications that go beyond the character themselves and if the purpose of it is story and not service to just the fan or the writer, then it can be great. As with everything, we will have to wait and see.

Is Fenix the one who is looking for Roger's grave?

The way I've been reading things all the way up to now makes it so that I could only think of one reason why a writer at this juncture would even want to imply resurrecting Roger could be a thing.
    That reason being to underline that resurrecting Roger couldn't happen.
    Even with Roger being a humunculus - which normally means such a minion or dabbled together entity wouldn't have much of a personality to be calling their own - in case of Roger however he always seemed a brightly brimming personality and hardly much else, which appears a paradox or contradictive with his being a humunculus rather much.

If I imagine Roger walking out of his grave again with being asked by Fenix or anyone else: "Hey Roger, is it really you?" and he'd go "Yeah, it's really me" I think as a reader I wouldn't believe him. Like I'd expect it to be some kind of ploy or ruse.

Also in light of the given dynamic that "when in the B.P.R.D. things get broken they usually won't get fixed" I'd be to think of Roger as the epitome of such a thing as having ended up damaged beyond repair. Like how Roger's body seemed to convey being broken more rather than fixable.

But I could be wrong of course.

As a reader I do have been feeling surprised a little at the seemingly growing number of "revisitation angles" to the various titles, like from 'Return of the Master' to 'The Visitor' and others, especially when Hellboy as a title may have finished and current B.P.R.D. could be about to be - but not yet.
    I mean, it seems fun and potentially captivating to think back on the alien back in CW or how Rasputin would be doing in his acorn, but,
    at this juncture - of the Apocalypse having gotten "averted" (which if it doesn't merely mean 'postponed' seems to ring kinda funky with the plight that used to be Hellboy's?),
    I'd feel most inclined to be keeping track of whoever'd be still around in the now to be honest, in order to be aware of what would seem over and done with as well as whereto stuff could still appear headed. But yeah, we'll see.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 12-05-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    Devil’s advocate time:

I was a big fan of Roger, his story, and his death, and don’t want to see it undone, but here’s the thing...

A resurrection doesn’t necessarily have to be an undoing in good storytelling. If it has a cost, and a significant one, and isn’t glossed over in a couple of months, if it has implications that go beyond the character themselves and if the purpose of it is story and not service to just the fan or the writer, then it can be great. As with everything, we will have to wait and see.
    Are we really putting our faith in Scott Allie resurrecting Roger and doing it right?